- (AFP) - US President George W. Bush and British Prime
Minister Tony Blair "need to engage in some self-criticism" on
their decision to launch a war against Iraq, Spain's prime minister-elect,
Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, said.
- "Mr Bush and Mr Blair need to engage in some self-criticism.
- "You can't just go ahead and do things. You can't
bombard a people just in case" they pose a perceived threat,"
- "You can't organise a war on the basis of lies,"
he added, in an allusion to the insistence by Washington, London and Madrid
that the conflict was justified by their belief Iraq possessed weapons
of mass destruction.
- Zapatero, speaking on Radio Cadena Ser, earlier called
the US-led war in Iraq "a disaster" and confirmed a pre-election
pledge to withdraw the 1,300 Spanish troops serving there by the end of
June unless a UN-led multinational force takes command.
- "The Spanish troops in Iraq will come home,"
- "Wars such as those which have occurred in Iraq
only allow hatred, violence and terror to proliferate."
- Copyright © 2004 AFP. All rights reserved. All information
displayed in this section (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected
by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence
you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any
way commercially exploit any of the contents of this section without the
prior written consent of Agence France-Presses.
- From Anonymous
- Hi Jeff,
- The Israeli-American axis of greed, inhumanity, and duplicity
may or may not be responsible for this first carnage in Madrid. However,
odds are they will be behind the next one just to punish Spain for its
democratic choice to stand against the insanity.
- Best to you.