- Several groups of researchers are working to read the
Roswell message. Researcher Tom Carey provides the following data, "The
Roswell research team of Tom Carey and Don Schmitt continues to break new
ground in their attempt to "decipher" the so-called "Ramey
Memo." In one of the July 8, 1947, photographs taken by Fort Worth
Star Telegram reporter/photographer, J. Bond Johnson, Gen. Roger M. Ramey
can be seen holding a piece of paper with writing on it as he kneels by
some obvious weather balloon debris on the floor of his office. Several
teams of researchers, including Carey and Schmitt, have attempted, by means
of computer software programs, to "read" what is contained in
what has become known as the "Ramey Memo."
- In July, with the support of the International UFO Museum
and Research Center in ROSWELL, Carey and Schmitt made arrangements to
have the original negative scanned by sophisticated techniques at the University
of Texas [Arlington] Archives where it is kept. This was a one-time-only
operation as permitted by the University of Texas. The result is, in essence,
a new negative of the original picture and not merely a photo of it. This
includes a number of non-UFO-related entities as well as several well-respected
Roswell-focused investigators who have attempted to "read" the
memo before. One of these, respected Roswell researcher David Rudiak has
forwarded his results to me, and they are gratifying to say the least.
David advises me that the new scan helped to "clear up" some
of the problem areas that he had previously been having trouble with.
- Neil Morris from the University of Manchester in England
with the Roswell Photo Research Team plus Don Burleson have also provided
their interpretations of the message. Neil states, "In this comparison
I have used my standard convention in my 'take' of the message. 1) Capitals
denote firm interpretation. 2) Lower space are educated guesses. (they
fit for spelling and syntax but may be incorrect) 3) "*" denote
unknown letter, 4) My line format, is to the best I can conclude, correct
to the grid layout of the typed text in the Ramey Message. (M) - Neil
Morris current "take". April 2000 (B) -- Don Burleson's interpretation
MUFON Journal March 2000. - (R) - David Rudiak September 2000. This is
a work in progress by dedicated researchers. Tom Carey provides some comments
after each sentence:
- Line 1. ???XXXX-XXX--X-XXXXXXXX XXX--XX-XXX XXXX XXX--XX-X
- (M) reco VERY Was ROSWELl Head oIc giveN AS
- (B) ECO---- OPERATION WITH ROSWELL DISK 074 MJ---
- (R) NEAR OPERATION AT THE
- [This probably refers to the one of the recovery operations.
- believe that there were at least two, possibly, three
sites associated with
- whatever crashed at Roswell in 1947 - Tom]
- Line 2.????XXX XXX XXX XXXXXXX XX XXX XXXXX XXX XXXXXXXXX
- (M) [n]ext 4hS EXp VIctIMS of THE WRecK and CONVAy
ON TO THE
- (B) - THE VICTIMS OF THE WRECK YOU FORWARDED
- (R) RAN)CH AND THE VICTIMS OF THE WRECK YOU FORWARDED
- [This probably refers to the Foster Ranch or possibly
another ranch as well
- as to the "victims" associated with the crash.
We believe that there were
- one, possibly two, "victim" sites. And we
know that they went to Ft. Worth
- prior to heading east. - Tom]
- Line 3. ???XXX XX XXXX XXXXXX XXX.
- (M) *** at FORT WORTH. Txe.
- (B) TEAM AT FORT WORTH. TXE.
- (R) T)EAM AT FORT WORTH, TEX.
- Line 4. ??XXXXXX XX XXX XXXXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXX
- (M) w**S** SOrTei *e**** thAT- ONUS raaF T&E
- (B) -- SS-- ON THE "DISK" MUST-
HAVE SENT -0- A-AM-- A-------D
- (R) THE "DISC"
THEY will ship FOR A3-AS2
- [Something in the disk - corpses? - was going to be shipped
to Gen. Ramey who
- is identified as "A1". Again, we know this
in fact happened. - Tom]
- Line 5. ?XXXX-XX XX-XXXX XXXXXX XX XXXXXX XXXXXXX XX
- (M) SOught CRASHes *O**** are needed sITEone
** **s***** locate
- (B) ----- URGENT. POWERS ARE NEEDED SITETWO AT CARLSBAD,
- (R) BY B29-ST OR C47. WRIGHT AF ASSIST FLIGHTS
AT ROSWELL. ASSURE
- [Following on the previous line, we know that a set of
bodies was shipped to
- Ft. Worth the following day - July 9th, 1947 - by B-29
- ("ST"). We also know that flights from Wright
Patterson to and from Roswell
- did in fact take place - Tom]
- 6. ??XX-X-XXXXXX XXXX XXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXX XX XXXXX
- (M) MIDDAY 509# TOLD newspaPeR segment of
STORY Adv *****
- (B) ------SAFE TALK NEWSPAPER MEANING OF STORY
- (R) THAT CIC-TEAM SAID THIS MISTAKEN MEANING
OF STORY AND THINK
- [By this, it appears that the original press release
of July 8th, 1947
- stating that the RAAF had recovered a flying disk was
a local mistake
- perpetrated by the CIC Team at Roswell, i.e., Sheridan
Cavitt., rather than
- being orchestrated from Washington - Tom]
- Line 7. ?-XXXXXXX XXXX XXXX XXX XX-XX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
- (M) LLY THrY EVEN PUT for AF WEATATN
BALLOONS raDar WERE
- (B) ONLY SHOW ---- ----
BY WEATHER BALLOONS
- 400-KW WAVE
- (R) LATE TODAY NEXT SENT OUT PR OF WEATHER BALLOONS
- [This line talks about sending out the weather balloon
press release ("PR"),
- and that is would work better - see next line - Tom]
- Line 8. ??-XXXX-X XXXX XXX XXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXX.
- (M) And Land L*** denver
- (B) -- 9 AND LAND L--- DENVER CREWS.
- (R) BETTER IF THEY ADD LAND DEMO RAWIN CREWS.
- [if weather balloon demonstrations using Rawin targets
were conducted. These
- in fact did take place as we can see in the July 10th
Alamogordo News and the
- July 11th Fort Worth Star Telegram. - Tom]
- Line 9. XXXXX-
- (M) ******
- (B) TEMPLE
- (R) RAMEY
- Neil Morris writes, "At the moment, the text seems
to me to be more advisory ie a report or summery of the situation and seems
to cover these main points.
- 1) It gives early warning "4hr" of "victims"
being transferred to ? "at Fort Worth".
- 2) It seems to say the "onus" of the search
is/was placed on a Technical and Engineering unit and they are requesting
further support possibly out at a "site one". 3) It informs
that the 509th Bomb Group released some of the information to the media
at noon that day, 4) It advises "adv" that ?initially? the theory
of the "weather balloon's" radar reflectors as being responsible
had been suggested or given. I personally get the impression this is info
being given from a third party fully aware of what is going on and to what
extent, they seem to have a full overview of the situation. From the way
the 509th is referred to I don't think this document originated there,
but it does seem to have the feel of a report from "a forward command."
Thanks to Neil Morris email@example.com. David Rudiak, and Don Burleson,
for their continuing efforts in this area of Roswell research.
- Editor's Note: Work continues on the General Ramey message
probably written by him to higher headquarters.
Site Served by TheHostPros