- BONN -- A former cabinet
minister is drawing huge crowds and stoking the fires of anti-Americanism
in Germany with a book arguing that the US government mounted the Sept
11 attacks as part of a plot to win global domination.
- Andreas von Bulow has gone even further than Michael
Meacher, Britain's former environment minister, who claims the US knowingly
failed to prevent the attacks.
- Von Bulow, 66, believes that Sept 11 was staged to justify
the subsequent wars on Afghanistan and Iraq.
- "If what I say is right, the whole US government
should end up behind bars," he says.
- The German government has made no official response to
the book, although ministers have tried to distance themselves from his
- But von Bulow's ideas are very popular and polls show
a fifth of Germans believe Washington ordered the attacks.
- The CIA and September 11, written mainly from internet
research, is a besteller, with sales of more than 100,000.
- © Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2003.