- Movie star Will Smith says Hollywood is not prejudiced
against black actors, just against unsuccessful actors.
- Smith - in the UK to promote Bad Boys II - said the more
black actors were box office hits the more opportunities they would get.
- "The execs don't care about what colour you are,
they care about how much money you make," he said.
- Last year, Halle Berry became the first black woman to
win the best actress Academy Award.
- After her win, Berry said the real celebration would
come when black actresses and actors up for the major awards were so commonplace
that race was not an issue.
- 'Hollywood is green'
- Smith's latest role sees him reunited with comic Martin
Lawrence in the Bad Boys action adventure sequel.
- Playing narcotic detectives Mike Lowrey (Smith) and Marcus
Burnett (Lawrence) the pair are also reunited with producer Jerry Bruckheimer
and director Michael Bay.
- "Hollywood is really not black or white - it's green,"
- "The real key is that the more black actors are
successful at the box office, the more opportunities that is going to open
- Smith - in an interview with BBC Radio 5 Live - also
backed fellow movie star Arnold Schwarzenegger to win the race for the
California governor's job, and sending him a message of support.
- President Smith?
- "He really represents the American dream,"
- "Coming to America with nothing, to become the biggest
movie star in the world and then to decide to run for governor. He is the
- And Smith - one of Hollywood's biggest draws - clarified
his position on one day running for the US presidency.
- "I said if I wanted to be president, I know that
I could," Smith said.
- "But I think I can say unequivocally that I do not
want to be president of the United States."
- Smith, who is married to actress Jada Pinkett Smith,
has forged an enormously successful career for himself, as an actor, recording
artist and producer.
- © BBC MMIII