- BAQUBA, Iraq (AFP) -- A 13-year-old
youth, Omar Saad Jassem, was accidentally killed late yesterday after US
troops opened fire and missed their target, his father told AFP today.
- "At 2145 (0345 AEST) an American unit was chasing
and opening fire on an individual who was riding a motorbike, and fatally
wounded Omar who was nearby," the boy's father Saad Jassem said.
- The adolescent was ferried from Baquba, north-east of
Baghdad, by a US helicopter to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.
- US troops have faced consistent attacks in the region,
which is populated by Shiite and Sunni Muslims.
- US military spokesman Anthony Reinoso said there was
one incident in Baquba late Thursday involving a makeshift bomb and an
Iraqi who opened fire with an AK47 injuring one US soldier.
- He had no information on the report of the dead youth.
- Copyright 2003 News Limited.