- brief aspartame review: formaldehyde toxicity: Murray
- Rich Murray, MA Room For All email@example.com
- 1943 Otowi Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505 USA 505-986-9103
- [NutraSweet, Equal, Canderel, Benevia, E951]
- aspartame review: methanol, formaldehyde, formic acid
- Murray 9.5.3 rmforall
- formaldehyde from methanol in aspartame: Murray: 12.9.2
- aspartame & formaldehyde toxicity: Murray 9.9.3 rmforall
- EU votes 440 to 20 to approve sucralose, limit cyclamates
- aspartame & stevia: Murray 4.12.3 rmforall
- Mark Gold exhaustively critiques European Commission
- Committee on Food re aspartame (12.4.2): 59 pages, 230
- aspartame toxicity coverup increases danger of corporate
- Michael C. Carakostas of Coca-Cola: Murray 8.11.3 rmforall
- The International Society of Regulatory Toxicology and
- Carakostas, Michael C., DVM, PhD
- Director/Scientific & Regulatory Affairs
- The Coca-Cola Company PO Drawer 1734 Atlanta, GA 30301
- T. 404/676-4234 F. 404/676-7166 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aspartame: The world agrees it's safe By Michael Carakostas,
- Director, Scientific and Regulatory Affairs, Coca-Cola
- It is commendable that Carakostas mentions the core problem,
albeit disparagingly: "During digestion, aspartame yields a very
small amount of methanol-- as do many other food substances. The body converts
this methanol to formaldehyde, which is instantly converted to formate.
Formate is quickly eliminated as carbon dioxide and water."
- Plenty of evidence in the mainstream scientific literature
since 1973 shows that as much as 30% of the formaldehyde is retained in
the body as toxic, cumulative adducts to the DNA, RNA, and proteins in
all cells and tissues, leading to pointed reports by informed doctors and
experts. Clearly, there are no safe levels for chronic, low-level formaldehyde
exposure. If just 10% of the methanol from six cans of diet soda is retained
in the body as toxic products of formaldehyde and formic acid, that is
sixty times the EPA limit for allowable formaldehyde from daily drinking
- President Bush & formaldehyde (aspartame) toxicity:
- carcinogenicity results Dec 2002: Soffritti: Murray 8.3.3
- p. 88 "The sweetening agent aspartame hydrolyzes
in the gastrointestinal
- tract to become free methyl alcohol, which is metabolized
in the liver
- to formaldehyde, formic acid, and CO2. (11)" Medinsky
MA & Dorman DC.
- 1994; Assessing risks of low-level methanol exposure.
CIIT Act. 14: 1-7.
- Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002 Dec; 982: 87-105.
- Results of long-term experimental studies on the carcinogenicity
- formaldehyde and acetaldehyde in rats.
- Soffritti M, Belpoggi F, Lambertin L, Lauriola M, Padovani
M, Maltoni C.
- Cancer Research Center, European Ramazzini Foundation
- and Environmental Sciences, Bologna, Italy. email@example.com
- "Formaldehyde and acetaldehyde were found to produce
an increase in total malignant tumors in the treated groups and showed
specific carcinogenic effects on various organs and tissues. PMID: 12562630"
- It is certain that high levels of aspartame use, above
2 liters daily for months and years, must lead to chronic formaldehyde-formic
acid toxicity, since 11% of aspartame (1,120 mg in 2L diet soda, 5.6 12-oz
cans) is 123 mg methanol (wood alcohol), immediately released into the
body after drinking (unlike the large levels of methanol locked up in molecules
inside many fruits), then quickly transformed into formaldehyde, which
in turn becomes formic acid, both of which in time are partially eliminated
as carbon dioxide and water.
- However, about 30% of the methanol remains in the body
as cumulative durable toxic metabolites of formaldehyde and formic acid--
37 mg daily, a gram every month. [J. Nutrition 1973 Oct; 103(10): 1454-1459.
Metabolism of aspartame in monkeys. Oppermann JA, Muldoon E, Ranney RE.]
If 10% of the methanol is retained as formaldehyde, that would give 12
mg daily formaldehyde accumulation, about 60 times more than the 0.2 mg
from 10% retention of the 2 mg EPA daily limit for formaldehyde in water.
- Many scientific studies and case histories report: *
- * many body and joint pains (or burning, tingling, tremors,
- spasms, cramps, stiffness, numbness, difficulty swallowing)
- * fever, fatigue, swollen glands * "mind fog",
"feel unreal", poor memory,
- confusion, anxiety, irritability, depression, mania,
- slurred speech, sexual problems, poor vision, hearing
- or taste * red face, itching, rashes, hair loss, burning
eyes or throat,
- dry eyes or mouth, mouth sores, burning tongue * obesity,
- edema, anorexia, poor appetite or excessive hunger or
- * breathing problems, shortness of breath * nausea, diarrhea
- constipation * coldness * sweating * racing heart,
low or high blood
- pressure, erratic blood sugar levels * hypothryroidism
- * seizures * birth defects * brain cancers * addiction
- * aggrivates diabetes, autism, allergies, ADHD, fibromyalgia,
- fatigue syndrome, multiple chemical sensitivity, multiple
- and interstitial cystitis (bladder pain).
- RTM: Smith, Terpening, Schmidt, Gums:
- full text: aspartame, MSG, fibromyalgia 1.17.2 rmforall
- Jerry D Smith, Chris M Terpening, Siegfried OF Schmidt,
and John G Gums
- Siegfried O. Schmidt, MD Asst. Clinical Prof. firstname.lastname@example.org
Relief of Fibromyalgia Symptoms Following Discontinuation of Dietary Excitotoxins.
The Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2001; 35(6): 702-706. Malcolm Randall Veterans
Affairs Medical Center, Gainesville, FL, USA. CASE SUMMARY: Four patients
diagnosed with fibromyalgia syndrome for two to 17 years are described.
All had undergone multiple treatment modalities with limited success.
All had complete, or nearly complete, resolution of their symptoms within
months after eliminating monosodium glutamate (MSG) or MSG plus aspartame
from their diet. All patients were women with multiple comorbidities prior
to elimination of MSG. All have had recurrence of symptoms whenever MSG
- aspartame in Merck Maxalt-MLT worsens migraine: Murray
- Migraine MLT-Down: an unusual presentation of migraine
- in patients with aspartame-triggered headaches.
- Newman LC, Lipton RB Headache 2001 Oct; 41(9): 899-901.
- [Merck 10-mg Maxalt-MLT, for migraine, has 3.75 mg aspartame,
- while 12 oz diet soda has 200 mg.]
- Headache Institute, St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital Center,
New York, NY
- Department of Neurology email@example.com
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
- Innovative Medical Research RLipton@IMRInc.com
- aspartame puts formaldehyde adducts into tissues, Part
- full text, Trocho & Alemany 6.26.98: Murray 12.22.2
- Formaldehyde derived from dietary aspartame binds to
- components in vivo. Life Sci 1998 Jun 26; 63(5): 337-49.
- Maria Alemany, PhD (male) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Confirming evidence and a general theory are given by
- testable theory of MCS type diseases, vicious cycle of
nitric oxide &
- peroxynitrite: MSG: formaldehyde-methanol-aspartame:
- Martin L. Pall: Murray: 12.9.2 rmforall
- Functional Therapeutics in Neurodegenerative Disease
- Perlmutter 7.15.99: Murray 1.10.3 rmforall
- formaldehyde toxicity: Thrasher & Kilburn: Shaham:
EPA: Gold: Murray:
- Wilson: CIIN: 12.12.2 rmforall
- 24 recent formaldehyde toxicity [Comet assay] reports:
- Murray 12.31.2 rmforall
- genotoxins, Comet assay in mice: Ace-K, stevia fine;
- sucralose, cyclamate, saccharin bad: Y.F. Sasaki Aug
- Murray 1.27.3 rmforall [A detailed look at the data]
- http://www.dorway.com/tldaddic.html 5-page review
- Roberts HJ Aspartame (NutraSweet) addiction.
- Townsend Letter 2000 Jan; HJRobertsMD@aol.com
- http://www.sunsentpress.com/ email@example.com
- Sunshine Sentinel Press P.O.Box 17799 West Palm Beach,
- 800-827-7991 561-588-7628 561-547-8008 fax
- http://www.HolisticMed.com/aspartame 603-225-2100
- Aspartame Toxicity Information Center Mark D. Gold
- firstname.lastname@example.org 12 East Side Drive #2-18 Concord,
- "Scientific Abuse in Aspartame Research"
- http://google.com gives 223,000 websites for "aspartame"
, with the top
- 10 listings being anti-aspartame, while
- http://groups.google.com finds on 700 MB of posts from
20 years of
- Usenet groups, 82,600 posts, the top 10 being anti-aspartame.
- http://news.google.com 35 recent aspartame items from
- http://www.AllTheWeb.com gives 298,141, the top 7 of
- leading and very well informed volunteer anti-aspartame
- http://teoma.com/index.asp gives 85,200 websites, top
8 of 10 anti.
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed lists 740 aspartame
- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartame/ 15820 posts
- Community email addresses
- Post message: aspartameNM@onelist.com
- Subscribe: aspartameNMemail@example.com
- Unsubscribe: aspartameNMfirstname.lastname@example.org
- List owner: aspartameNMemail@example.com
- Shortcut URL to this page: