Cooper Says Disc Landed,
Filmed At Edwards - UFO
Reports Mount In NE
United States
George A. Filer <>
Director, Mutual UFO Network Eastern
MUFON Skywatch Investigations
Filer's Files #38 9-26-00
Re the Cooper Edwards UFO story, please add a link to which includes my report, researched and written in the early 1980s, about the actual incident Cooper is talking about.
The original witnesses, Bittick and Gettys, clearly describe an event quite different from the way Cooper remembers it. So does James McDonald, who also investigated it.
The case is Blue Book #4715, and the 30 page report can be ordered from the National Archives in College Park, Maryland. I have done so myself. Nothing disappeared, the photos are there on file, the witness interviews, maps, everything.
I do not offer an explanation of why Cooper's version is so different from that of the original witnesses and investigators, and at variance with the existing documentation, nor do I think I have to. Use your own imagination.
Just ask yourself this: if something had really landed there, wouldn't somebody -- Cooper included -- have walked out and searched the ground for imprints? Why do you suppose Cooper omits describing this obvious consequence of a "landing".
And note Cooper's 1978 comment on a taped interview: "I'd just as soon not get into the Edwards incident. I didn't get to see anything personally, it was all second hand evidence really."
Jim Oberg

In recently published memoirs "Leap of Faith: An Astronaut's Journey into the Unknown", by USAF Colonel L. Gordon Cooper (Ret.) recounts how he chased UFOs over Germany in his F-86. Following this experience, Cooper was very open minded about UFOs. He writes, "I knew an Air Force master sergeant assigned to a team that received an emergency call-out from Washington D.C., to the Pacific southwest (not Roswell.) He told me they reached a canyon and found a wreckage at the site. According to his friend -- and I had been around him enough to consider him a reliable guy -- a metallic disk-shaped object had crashed, and sitting atop the wreckage were two very human-looking fellows in flight suits, waving at them. They were hustled away, and the sergeant never found out who they were or what happened to them."
As a captain stationed at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., on May 3, 1957, he became aware that a metallic, saucer-shaped craft had landed (silently) sometime after 8:00 a.m. on base property. He alleges that the event was filmed by a startled technical film crew on assignment 50 yards away, the craft zooming out of sight when the photographers tried to approach it for a better camera shot. Cooper writes that, upon learning of the incident, he telephoned appropriate Pentagon officials, who ordered him to have all the film developed (but not printed) and to ship it immediately to the Pentagon. He adds that, before complying, he chose to peek at some of the negatives, which confirmed the existence of the "saucer" as described to him by the film crew. Cooper notes that he heard nothing more about the film or the results of any investigation. Thanks to Dwight Connelly
NEW YORK CITY - Peter Davenport reports that on September 8, 2000, the witness says, "My workmate and I were sitting at lunch in the cafeteria in a Manhattan building over looking Central Park. We saw a police helicopter circling the park because of the UN meeting of world leaders. Then, I saw a reddish/amber object which seemed stationary at first, but then began to move very slowly. I kept looking and the object now was showing a bright white color. I pointed that to my workmate and we decided to focus on the object and the helicopter. It wasn't long before we noticed that the flying object was actually moving in a circular fashion, traveling and spinning, that was evident because we could see the bright white color and then reddish/amber. Sometimes it appeared this was a two-colored object and sometimes one. We became more curious when we realized that this thing was really moving upwards and getting smaller and that we now would only recognize the bright white color. We knew it was not a balloon, nor a helicopter, nor any other object that we can recognize. We suggested it might be a flying saucer and we both laughed. I still do not know what the heck this thing was but I know I had never seen anything like it before. NEW YORK CITY -- A second report was received on September 8, 2000, describing a rectangle shaped object spinning around, changing colors constantly from red to white. New York police helicopters circle around the area, but they failed to see the object. The witness believed they are looking down on the city instead of up at the object. Object are climbing upwards and gets further away. Thanks to Peter Davenport NUFORC
WALDWICK - I spoke on the phone with Brian McCrudden who says, "Some of my family and friends have witnessed strange lights and a triangle shaped craft in the sky starting on September 5th and continuing thru September 8, 2000." All sightings happened at night. The footage I shot is an object that changes form very fast. It looks like a worm at times. It jumps all over the place changing into different shapes. And at two different times it emits a green wave of light that is on the film. On September 7th my friend and I saw an extremely bright object moving over the tree tops. The light from the object lit up the woods below like it was day light. We live on White's Pond and have seen many strange UFOs. One object looked like a burning candle with a golden yellow center. It moved right over where we were standing. Frankly we got scared and my friend an I ran like hell back to the house. The objects seem to be circling our area. Brian indicated their home is on the standard flight path into Newark and they are use to seeing standard planes, but these are very different. Thanks to and Larry Clark
WAYNE -- I have investigated the Debra Yetman case more thoroughly and the witness has provided more detailed information concerning her May 15, 2000, UFO sighting. Debra filled out the MUFON forms and wrote: "Sitting in my backyard, 2:30 in the afternoon, I was reading Linda Moulton Howe's book "Glim pses of Other Realities, Vol. II". I don't know what made me look up other than wishing to myself how much I wish I knew for sure if these are real occurrences. I still remember the absolute shock I felt because they were not like anything I ever read or heard about from other people. They were just above the tree line so you could see it was not a bird, kite, balloon or plane. Two solid black objects moving at a 'fast pace.' There was no lights, no sound, nothing else to see! It was so close, I could see that they appeared totally solid from my ground point of view. One came right after the other moving in the formation I drew. They were probably the size of (in length) of a small car. The objects flew over the house then my yard and me! They then flew over the trees in my yard which are very high, 75 to 100 feet tall continuing out of sight once over those trees. My reaction was shock and disbelief in my own eyes, because I could not imagine what they were. Still I can't except they must be UFOs. There was no chance to run and get a camera, it happened so fast. The dog was scared and wanted to go in. She didn't bark, but ran to the door with her tail between her legs. I went with her, and got scared and stayed inside for awhile. No one else was home.
Editors Note: During September there have been almost nightly sightings in this general area of Northern New Jersey only ten miles west of New York City. Debra made a nice drawing of the two black objects that were rectangle in shape. Assuming they were twenty feet long they were about two feet thick and three feet wide. Moving north east at 50 mph they flew directly over the witness at an altitude of 100 feet. They look similar to the shape of a two by four. This particular odd shape flying wing has been seen in New Jersey before. One was see flying over Teterboro Airport by aircraft engineers and by police in Medford. This general area has had sightings periodically for fifty years.
HERMITAGE -- On September 9, 2000, my two friends and I were hanging out in the one friends backyard, which is actually located on the main business strip of our town. They were sitting at a picnic table and I was standing. I was talking when I looked up, I saw something fly overhead between two 40 feet trees. I quickly turned and took a few steps to my left and watched the object disappear into the night sky. My friends got up from the table and asked, "Did you see that?" We discussed what we saw and each drew pictures of what we saw. It did not appear to be flying at an altitude greater than a couple hundred feet. It was absolutely silent. We all saw the same thing. It was moving west to east but not at a moderate speed. It did not bank like a plane would and swiftly moved to the right. It consisted of three rectangular lights, gold-amber in color, not terribly bright, but distinct--no halos or blurriness to them. It was hazy that night. The rectangles were in a triangular pattern, one on top, two on the bottom as if there was one for each point on a triangle. Thanks to Peter Davenport NUFORC
BETHLEHEM -- Margaret Kichline writes, "This morning, September 16, 2000, I went outside to see some deer that were in our neighbors back yard at 6:45 AM." I walked around the back end of our wooded property checking out things and saw an object traveling very fast, that was silvery white-rod shape. I ran into my house to get my binoculars. The object looked strange with no wings at all. It was about an inch to 2 inches in size without the binoculars and it made no sound. The object had a faint white blinking light in the center. I followed it until I couldn't see it anymore going toward the airport in the clear blue sky. I watched it halfway through it's course and saw a low flying airliner crossing in another direction. It was very low and I could see it in detail without binoculars. Thanks to Margaret Kichline (Margaret Kichline)
WILMINGTON - On September 16, 2000, a mother daughter and three grandkids saw a very strange flying triangle. In each corner there was a bright white light. Each light blinked in turn one after the other. The object just hovered there and a very faint humming sound could be heard. There seemed to be a little mist or haze around it. We didn't know what it could be. After a while in one corner there were two lights that shone, one bright white and the other was bright red. They flashed as the object slowly started to move away, then in a bright flash of light it was gone. There was a small trail of light left behind, but then it soon faded. Thanks to Peter Davenport NUFORC
LA GRANGE - Researcher John Thompson writes, "I had a person in my office say that they along with 4 other adults saw a triangle shaped craft, with four large non-blinking lights Labor Day night. It was going north towards LaGrange. It was very high, and moved at a speed like a satellite. A large central brilliant white light on its bottom came on. The light, interestingly, faded on and faded off like a dimmer is twirled and then twirled back quickly. The light expanded and then rapidly contracted. After flying past they heard a "dim humming noise" like a B-2 Stealth bomber makes which one of the witnesses has seen fly over during an airplane show in Columbus. No one thought it was an airliner. No lights were seen blinking or of any other color besides white. It was seen at 10:00 PM on September 4, 2000, on a clear night. Their drawing of the craft shows a huge diffused light covering about half of the triangle shaped craft they saw. The three other white and much smaller lights were at each corner of the craft. Thanks to John Thompson
TUPELO -- On September 16, 2000, a silvery disc flew from west to east against clear blue sky. My wife had called me out to view the contrails crisscrossing the morning sky. I retrieved my binoculars to try to identify the aircraft when the disc appeared just below a fresh con-trail. I pointed it out to my wife, and she saw it without the aid of binoculars. The disc was about 10,000 feet high and the sighting lasted from 20 to 30 seconds. Thanks to Peter Davenport NUFORC
LAJES FIELD -- Henry Deitchman writes, "During the many years of my life as an Air Traffic Controller, it was always a fantasy of mine to one day see a UFO. In 1973, my fantasy was realized while working as a controller at the Radar Approach Control at Lajes Field, Azores Islands in the middle of the Atlantic. My first few months there were quiet, but then the Arab/Israeli War started and the USAF started resupplying Israel with arms. During the entire time of the resupply airlift, a few weeks, the radar and tower controllers encountered not less than one UFO incident per day. It got so bad that we even started sending out NAVY P-3 Sub Chasers our electronic warfare airplanes, covertly, to try to identify where they were coming from, but all efforts proved useless. The UFO's would follow our aircraft during the day and even make low approaches to the runway at night. None of the controllers were afraid of collisions, but it did bother us keeping in mind who we were in control of and who the observers were. Before you ask, yes, we did have fun with them. Occasionally we would turn an F-4 to chase them, not that we thought we could catch something that fast, but it kept us all honest and broke the monotony. All considered, it was a fantastic experience. Except the debriefing afterwards by some officers sent in from the states." Thanks to CAUS and Henry Deitchman
Australian researcher Barry Taylor reports a local lady contacted him regarding a mysterious 'cross' that had appeared on her arm during the night. Also, there were mysterious 'finger' print marks on her bedroom mirror. The question is, "did the same 'entity' that scratched the cross on her arm, leave these mysterious finger prints on her bedroom mirror? A full DNA sampling of the prints was undertaken with the assistance of the Scientific Research group 'Phenomena Research Australia.' The results showed NO Human DNA, in fact no DNA at all of what could have made these prints. There was an unusually high density bacterial culture found in the prints. This is also unexplainable. the physical proof we are looking for that 'inter-dimensional beings ' are visiting Humans in their own homes at night? Or does it have an 'Earthly' explanation, and all we have to do is find it? Thanks to Barry Taylor The print images and details are now posted at:
MUFON Investigator Rex Peterson writes that the North Carolina story is a hoax perpetuated by someone who uses various aliases such as Paul Novak, Grendel 1, Grendel The Martyr, and Sceptic Trooper, etc. Apparently, Paul Novak chooses to spend a couple hours unashamedly typing out fake UFO reports.
Editor's Note: I have often mentioned, "These are initial reports and need further investigation." I admit we have difficulty in determining if someone is dishonest when sending or calling in a report. This particular report was detailed and several typed pages long. It probably took more than an hour to write. Most of the key details of the story such as the loss of life in the Hurricane Floyd , the flooding on Tar River, NC and other details seemed accurate. Our investigations, phone calls, travel costs are at our cost on a volunteer basis. The final reports are signed. We consistently find that 99% of the 300 people a month reporting UFO reports are truthful. Generally people are quite excited by their sighting. These initial reports are reported has quickly as possible to you the reader, and investigation is done after the fact usually taking many months. When ever possible our investigators interview the persons who wrote the report and have them sign a form indicating their willingness to stand behind their report.
As an Intelligence officer and flier who spent twenty years in the Air Force it came to my attention that UFOs are traveling in our skies at high speeds in disregard for the safety of the flying public. Almost every major aircraft accident such as TWA Flight 800 and EgyptAir 990 often involve reports of UFOs often by hundreds of people. I personally chased a UFO while in the Air Force while serving in England. London Control directed our intercept of the target UFO that was hovering over the Stonehenge area. UFOs are treated very seriously by the government, millions of pages of government documents have already been released. My experiences have shown me that this is very serious to the US and UK. High ranking retired military personnel in France, recently released their historic document "UFOs and Defense: What Should We Prepare For?" written by the French Association. Initiated by four-star General Bernard Norlain, former Commander of the French Tactical Air Force and Military Counselor to the Prime Minister, COMETA, or "Committee for In-Depth Studies", is composed of French generals, admirals, engineers, doctors, physicists, and other high-ranking officials including the Chief of National Police, and the Research Director of the French equivalent of NASA. Cooperation between various governments is encouraged. China has asked for international cooperation partially do to a UFO and commercial aircraft collision.
Dr. Edgar Mitchell, the Apollo 14 astronaut who was the sixth man to walk on the moon, strongly supports such cooperation. Along with five-star Admiral Lord Hill-Norton, the former head of the British Ministry of Defense and Major Gordon L. Cooper, one of America's original seven Mercury astronauts, Mitchell is calling for Congressional hearings to shed light on the UFO question. "People have been digging through the files and investigating for years now. The files are quite convincing. Occasionally the skeptic will attempt to hoax a sighting, but I personally feel they do more damage to their own cause than they realize. Our goal is to obtain valid sightings and to determine exactly what is going on.
MUFON UFO JOURNAL -- For more detailed monthly investigative reports subscribe by contacting Mention I recommended you for membership. Filer's Files is copyrighted 2000 by George A. Filer, all rights reserved. Readers may post items from the files on their Web Sites provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue that the item appeared. Caution: Most of these are initial reports and need further investigation. Send your letters to Sending mail automatically grants permission for us to publish and use your name. Please state if you wish to keep your name, address, or story confidential.
Sponsored by Electronic Arts C. Warren - Webmaster

This Site Served by TheHostPros