- "It seems that guerrilla warfare is a real thing.
Too much looting, assaulting Iraqi women, too much Muslim-bashing. No discipline
in the US forces and the commanders have a hard time in controlling their
men. Protestors are to be shown to be "die-hard Baathist supporters
of the evil Saddam" and show pictures of a "commando" camp
with pictures of Saddam and anti-US slogans." (June 12)
- Since April, The Barnes Review News web site (www.tbrnews.org)
has posted memos like this from an executive at a major TV network to selected
News Division staff.
- If they are authentic, these memos represent the most
important revelation of government deception since the Pentagon Papers,
and suggest the "news" is little more than mass psychological
control. There are shocking references to cover-ups of government domestic
terrorism, SARS, Mad Cow, and events in Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, Iran
and much more.
- In mid-March TBR Webmaster Walter Storch received an
email from a man who claimed to be a mid-level executive at a major U.S.
TV network. He said he had "serious doubts" about the strict
control of the media by the government.
- He sent Storch a disc containing 1500 pages of memos
dating back to 2001. All were on corporate stationary signed by the sender
and recipients in the News Division.
- Storch asked for current directives and was able to ascertain
that they were followed both in print and on TV. He posted the memos in
excerpt or in full and watched "as ordained news was created before
- "We are now printing the more outrageous and serious
aspects of the incoming papers with the hopes that this will cause serious
public relations problems [for] those directly involved," Storch wrote
- Named for "revisionist" historian Harry Elmer
Barnes, TBR sees accepted history as propaganda by the winners. Presumably
the TV executive thought this web site would have the courage to expose
contemporary propaganda as well.
- The memos so far have created a minor sensation. TBR
news gets 3,000-10,000 viewers of this item per day, about half foreign.
About 95% of the email response is positive while 5% are from government
and press people who are "outraged by the implications. "
- The memo writer is probably an executive at a media conglomerate
in New York charged with coordinating with government. His directives seem
to be followed by other networks and newspapers, although he refers to
"unreliable" newspapers (June 2).
- He decides what to suppress ("blackout"), what
to promote ("puff pieces"), what angle to take on anything controversial.
About SARS, which did spread to the US but was called pneumonia, he says,"
Get the usual medical people and give them the usual script." (May
- He has a cynical, conspiratorial, chatty style and makes
the newsmen feel they are "in the know." They do not include
the public in this charmed circle.
- RECENTLY A CHANGE OF TONE
- In July, the memo writer starts to distance himself from
Bush policy in Iraq, which is becoming a quagmire like Vietnam. He implies
that "our circle" predicted this from the start. This suggests
that his master may be the Rockefeller-CIA-CFR elite network.
- For the first time, the writer urges a "completely
neutral position" in case Bush goes the way of Richard Nixon. On July
12, he tells the executives to follow the example of "bellweather"
New York Times. On August 1, the New York Times described Bush's performance
at a recent news conference as "vague and sometimes nearly incoherent....
[he gave] rambling non answers."
- On July 17, the writer says, "The White House is
moving into a bunker mentality, very much like Nixon during the end of
the Watergate business." The elite media may be getting ready to
dump George W. Bush. Why would they report every U.S. casualty in Iraq
when they have blacked out Afghanistan?
- Iraq may be Bush's Watergate. He may have been tricked
into invading Iraq, just as Nixon was tricked into sanctioning Watergate.
The whole affair from Sept 11 to the Iraq war may be designed (like Vietnam)
to bleed the U.S. taxpayer, destroy American morale and undermine the US's
stature in the world.
- SHOCKING REVELATIONS FROM WWW.TBRNEWS.ORG:
- Ultimately you will make your own mind up about the authenticity
of this material.
- For me they read like the script of a play I have been
seeing. Play down North Korea. Black out Rachel Corrie. It's all followed.
I have always been disturbed by the uncanny uniformity of the three TV
- Go to www.tbrnews.org and click on "Controlling
the News". The latest reports are at the bottom of Storch's introduction.
There is a link to about 10 pages of excerpts since February. You can subscribe
to a full service for $5 a month.
- Here is a sample:
- "Speculations of the actual nature of SARS are not
under any circumstances to be permitted. Keep in mind the currently
in- place rules following the outbreak of "Legionnaires Disease."
- "If this gets any credence, it could wreak havoc
with the US cattle industry, not to mention the fast food and restaurant
business. Mad-cow has been in the US before and kept very quiet. Let's
see if we can't repeat this now." (May 24)
- "Regarding North Korea, it is urgently requested
by the White House that any reference to the Presidentís determination
to remove the existing leadership of that country be downplayed. It should
be mentioned as an "option" rather than the intention of the
President." (April 19)
- "Re. Enormous amounts of US currency found in Iraq.
Under no circumstances, it has to be stressed, should any mention of amounts
in excess of the publicly stated $600 million be made. And absolutely no
mention of the possibility of these $100 bills being counterfeit."
- "The decision to proceed against Iran has been taken."
- MARTHA STEWART: "BETTER THE SMALL FRY GET COOKED"
- Re. Martha Stewart: "Better the small fry get cooked
than the really important ones. Campaign funding? Hah, hah!" (June
- "There is a black-out on guerrilla attacks in Afghanistan.
The fear is that these are part of a coordinated attack in the Arab world."
- "The Administration has gotten burned by attacking
[Ariel] Sharon. It won't happen again." (June 13)
- "North Korea is a back issue for now. We are pulling
troops away from the DMZ in case we have to nuke Pyongyang..." (June
- "SARS is officially dead. Monkeypox is replacing
it. We have beaten SARS to death so it is best to keep the file footage
for when it comes back with a bang this winter. With no vaccine in sight,
buy masks, kids! If SARS combines with something else, watch out on this
one... " (June 14)
- "Unemployment is soaring but let's keep this minor
key unless some trouble breaks out over it. Justice has evidence of serious
labor unrest, especially among ghetto minorities." (June 15)
- "Serious problems with the growing resistance movement
in Iraq... Iraqi oil is being interdicted before it can be shipped out
of the country. Casualties cannot be concealed but can be minimalized....[No
pictures of] Iraqis that appear to have been beaten." (June 15)
- DIRE MEASURES PLANNED IN IRAQ
- "The most severe methods of interdiction are currently
being indicated including setting up detention camps, curfews, the issuance
of ID cards, the closing of mosques, the detention of religious leaders...An
order is being prepared to exclude all foreign media..." (June 16)
- "For a decade, the establishment has taken a very
dim view of the Internet. It is seen as a method by dissident elements
to propagandize the public and publish material that might cause great
disruption in the public mind..." [Counter measures are discussed.]
- " Nailing the people at the tabloid press in Florida
was a shot across our bows...the media had best shut its mouth or look
what can happen to you. There is no substantive control over the military
and official Washington is terrified that they could pull another Northwoods
game again..." (June 22)
- " Bush was warned repeatedly by Pentagon experts
that there was the strong probability of dangerous insurgent activity [but]
he and his close advisors such as Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz discounted it.
... Pacification could take years, not weeks or months, and with elections
coming up next year, inside White House sources have said the President
and Rove are in a panic." (June 28)
- "The best way to cover this [fraudulent claims of
uranium sales to Iraq ] is to be strictly neutral in comment and we must
now maintain a completely neutral position in all of this. If Bush has
the same problems Nixon did over Watergate, our viewers cannot see us as
being blindly partisan. We have to have plausible deniability in this.
The NYT is now beginning to crack the wall of silence surrounding the Presidency
and as they are the bellweather, best to watch them closely. " (July
- "THE IRAQIS WOULD GET NONE OF THEIR OIL SALES"
- "The major disaster for the White House is that
they cannot get oil out of Iraq. The plan always was to root out Saddam,
occupy the country after securing the oil fields first and then put a CIA
trained and controlled local governments into place. This puppet government
(letís face it gentlemen, that is what it would be but we can call
it Iraqi autonomy) would graciously grant to the US the right to protect
their oil resources and assist them in recovering their pre-Desert Storm
production levels. In fact, the Iraqis would get none of the proceeds of
the oil sales...(July 13)
- "The Administration is over a barrel on this [prior
warnings of Iraqi guerrilla resistance]] because if they try to make too
many scapegoats, someone will let the cat out of the bag over who really
knew what and what kind of specific warnings the White House had actually
received...the same scenario as the 9-11 warnings...." (July 13)
- "There is a growing fear in counter intelligence
circles that if the resistance movement in Iraq is not stopped, the resulting
very bad PR might cause an "incident" somewhere in the US just
before election time to whip the voters up to vote for Bush as a "wartime
leader" who can put a number of draconian laws and edicts in place
to "protect the American people." Someone in the FBI said to
one of our people, entirely off the record, that quote it will probably
be the Statue of Liberty endquote.
- There must be no speculation on this subject under any
circumstances. If some rigged incident does happen and we comment on it
in advance, new regulations could cause us serious problems ...If this
happens, it will be Rumsfeld who plans and executes it. This will give
the President the usual deniability. It is more than likely that we will
get some advance notice of such an action and then decisions can be made
relative to going to the public. On one hand, it would be a magnificent
media coup guaranteeing ratings off the chart and on the other, a death
sentence..." (July 14)
- "OPEN MUTINY"
- "The White House is now moving into a bunker mentality,
very much like Nixon during the end of the Watergate business. With mounting
Iraqi opposition and facing a very capable guerrilla movement, supplied
by Syria and Russia, the US has run into the stonewall we all predicted.
His personality will not permit the President to withdraw in good order;
the neocons and the oil people will simply not let him. Bush is stuck between
the rock and the proverbial hard place... Serious growing unrest in the
troops coupled with very low morale, growing death tolls, lack of rotation,
real fear of being fatally attacked are all leading to a situation that
our Pentagon source informs us could actually erupt into open mutiny.
- Couple all of this with the terrible economy, the insistence
of the Bush people on insane tax cuts (to help out corporate America),
the obvious right wing political and religious fanatics supporting the
President and we have the makings of serious, probably fatal, domestic
problems. The fear is that a frantic Administration could connive at some
kind of domestic terrorism if and when they perceive the President slumping
badly in the polls. He already is and it looks like it might go like the
economy. Today, a 65% favorite; tomorrow matching [Grey] Davis'20%. "
- "We have to sit on stories of serious physical abuse
of Iraqi citizens. Most sensitive (and we put the blackout on this subject)
are the numerous rapes and sexual assaults against Iraqis. Interesting
are the unreported but fully known homosexual rapes...the real problem
here is that US GI minorities are mostly responsible for these and Bush
needs these votes in November so on with the lid...we donít think
they can keep this shut up for too long...the Okinawa syndrome all over
again." (July 20)
- Henry Makow Ph.D. is the inventor of the board game Scruples
and author of "A Long Way to go for a Date." His past articles
on Feminism and the New World Order can be found at his web site www.savethemales.ca
He enjoys receiving comments at email@example.com