- RED LION, Pa. (Reuters) -
A 14-year-old student armed with at least two handguns fatally shot his
school principal in a crowded cafeteria on Thursday before killing himself,
- Police said no altercation or provocation preceded the
gunfire, which erupted shortly after 7:30 a.m. at Red Lion Area Junior
High School in the small town of Red Lion, about 30 miles southeast of
- Principal Gene Segro was shot at least once in the chest
and died later at a hospital, authorities said. The student, who was not
immediately identified, killed himself in the cafeteria while surrounded
by terrified students.
- Although several shots were fired, no one else was injured.
- Red Lion Police Chief Walter Hughes told reporters it
was not clear whether Segro was the intended target of the attack.
- "We don't know that. To our knowledge, right now,
there was nothing going on when the incident went down. Whether he was
a target or part of a plot or a plan, there's no information," Hughes
- Red Lion Area Schools Superintendent Larry Macaluso said
school officials were unaware of any outstanding grievances between the
student and Segro, who had been an administrator at the school since 1988.
- The youth entered the school building with the weapons
hidden in his book bag. The school has no metal detectors.
- School officials canceled classes throughout the district
and said they would make teams of psychologists available to speak with
grieving students and staff members.