- BAGHDAD -- Did US intentionally
allow Saddam Hussein to flee from Iraq to Syria for a final destination
in Russia after a last minute bargain with Moscow to capture the capital
of Iraq without fighting? Is the question that thousands of the people
in the World are asking as they fail to understand that how come the defences
of the Baghdad collapsed within hours.
- According to rumours and unconfirmed reports President
Saddam Hussein was traveling with the caravan of Russian diplomats that
was attacked by the US troops despite the fact that the US had given approval
for Saddam's covert removal from Baghdad in a deal for the surrender of
the capital without resistance.
- These unconfirmed reports suggest that the deal was reached
between the Russian and US governments after talks between US national
security advisor Condoleeza Rice and Russian officials just before US attack
- Although, the Saddam government had reportedly asked
the military to retreat and do not resist the invaders, some of the troops
who did not get the orders in time and the volunteers enraged by the Anglo-American
invasion of Iraq resisted the US army till the last breath.
- The dynamics of the deal though look surprising but are
fairly understandable. Saddam has been a blued eye boy of the US government
for many years and his invasion of Kuwait is seen by many as a direct result
of the US instigations. In other words, the US used him to create an opportunity
to deploy hundreds of thousands of troops in the region.
- The much publicized chemical and biological weapons were
also provided by the US government to Saddam's regime for use against Iran.
However, his failure to use these weapons against Iraq enraged his mentors
and protectors in the West.
- © 2000 - 2002 The Balochistan Post. All rights reserved.