- WASHINGTON (CNN) -- More
than a million illegal immigrants have slipped into the United States in
the past few years, raising the total in the country to 7 million, the
Immigration and Naturalization Service said Friday.
- The vast majority of the illegal immigrants are from
Mexico, officials said.
- The numbers are based on census figures from 2000 and
the agency's own statistics. They are the first official government figures
on illegal immigration released since 1996.
- The figures show that between October 1996 and January
2000, the number of illegal immigrants grew from about 5.8 million to about
7 million, an increase of more than 300,000 annually.
- The proportion of the illegal immigrants who are Mexican
has increased to nearly 70 percent from less than 60 percent, the INS said.
- Although California is home to the most undocumented
immigrants, Arizona, Georgia and North Carolina have the greatest rate
of increase, the figures showed.
- Justice Department spokesman Jorge Martinez said the
latest figures are believed to be more accurate than previous ones because
they reflect new methods used to determine trends in the entry and departure
of undocumented residents.
- Jackson Denning
- Yes...a 7 milliion=strong 'army of occupation'...further
- already wrecked US ecomony. EVERY state is either insolvent/bankrupt
- of just about there.
- WE NEED TO EXPEL EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE PEOPLE. NOW.
- This has nothing to do with 'racism'...sorry, you liberals
- I don't care if they are French, Japanese, Mexicans or
- is not a free ride anymore.
- GET THEM OUT...NOW.