- A cigar-shaped UFO drifted over Ilkeston - and then did
- A family, from Kirk Hallam, say it appeared to head for
the village of West Hallam before returning from whence it came at about
7.45pm on Monday.
- The mother, father and son, who do not want to be named,
have lodged a detailed report with the Derby-based Phenomena Research Association.
- They also called Derbyshire police, who did not receive
any other reports.
- Although looking like a cigar, they say it flew sideways
and had a series of lights.
- The mother watched the object through binoculars from
the family home.
- She said: "I have never seen anything like it. There's
no aeroplane like that.
- "It seemed to float across and there was this hum
coming from it."
- Her son first saw the UFO while he was looking towards
Little Hallam Hill, and alerted his parents.
- The object had two rows of white lights near each end.
Underneath were two yellow lights - and a red pulsating beam.
- The centre of the craft was dark and it was difficult
to gauge its size. But the mother held a biro at arm's length and said
it appeared as long as that.
- The UFO came from the direction of the Stanton Works
and later headed back that way.
- Omar Fowler, Phenomena Research Association spokesman,
said: "The family said that it made a low-pitched droning noise and
that is typical of a large UFO craft.
- "It is a major sighting and points to an increase
in activity in the Ilkeston area."
- First published October 4, 2002