- Jimmy Carter, Ex-President of the USA, nominated 5 (?)
times for the Nobel Peace Prize. In October of '69 Jimmy Carter witnessed
- From "Above Top Secret" (book): During his
election campaign of 1976 he told the following to reporters: It was the
darndest thing I've ever seen. It was big, it was very bright, it changed
colors and it was about the size of the moon.. We watched it for ten minutes,
but none of us could figure out what it was. One thing's for sure, I'll
never make fun of people who say they've seen unidentified objects in the
sky. If I become President, I'll make every piece of information this country
has about UFO sightings available to the public and the scientists.
- Following is the form Jimmy Carter filed with NICAP on
Sep. 18, 1973. Only the questions that were responded to are listed. Carter's
responses are in quotation marks.
- 1. Name: "Jimmy Carter" Address: "State
Capitol Atlanta" Occupation: "Governor"
- 2. Date of Observation: "October 1969"
- 3. Location of Observation: "Leary, Georgia"
- 4. How long did you see the object?: "10-12 minutes."
- 5. Please describe weather conditions and the type of
sky; i.e., bright daylight, nighttime, dusk, etc.: "Shortly after
- 6. Position of the Sun or Moon in relation to the object
and to you: "Not in sight."
- 7. If seen at night, twilight, or dawn, were the stars
or moon visible?: "Stars."
- 8. Were there more than one object?: "No."
- 10. Was the object(s) brighter than the background of
the sky?: "Yes."
- 11. If so, compare the brightness with the Sun, Moon,
headlights, etc.: "At one time, as bright as the moon."
- 12. Did the object(s)-: a. Appear to stand still at any
time?: "Yes." g. Change brightness?: "Yes." h. Change
shape?: "Yes." I. Change color?: "Yes."
- 13. Did object(s) at any time pass in front of, or behind
of anything? If so, Please elaborate giving distance, size, etc, if possible.:
- 14. Was there any wind?: "No."
- 15. Did you observe the object(s) through an optical
instrument or other aid, windshield, window pane, storm window, screening,
etc.? What?: "No."
- 17. Please tell if the object(s) was (were)- c. Sharply
- 18. Was the object- b. Self-luminous?: "Yes."
- 19. Did the object)s_ rise or fall while in motion?:
"Came close, moved away, came close and then moved away."
- 20. ..Or, if easier, give apparent size in inches on
a ruler held at arm's length: "About the same as moon, maybe a little
smaller. Varied from brighter/larger than planet to apparent size of moon."
- 21. How did you happen to notice the object(s)?: "10-12
men all watched it. Brightness attracted us."
- 22. Where were you and what were you doing at the time?:
"Outdoors waiting for a meeting to begin at 7:30 pm."
- 23. How did the object(s) disappear from view?: "Moved
to distance then disappeared."
- 26. Please estimate the distance of the object(s): "Difficult.
Maybe 300-1000 yards."
- 27. What was the elevation of the object(s) in the sky?:
"About 30 degrees above horizon."
- 28. Names and addresses of other witnesses, if any:
"Ten members of Leary Georgia Lions Club."
- 31. Please draw a map of the locality of the observation
showing North; your position; the direction from which the object(s) appeared
and disappeared from view; the direction of its course over the area; roads,
towns, villages, railroads, and other landmarks within a mile.: "Appeared
from west about 30 degrees up."
- 32. Is there an airport, military, governmental, or research
installation in the area?: "No."