- Contrary to what virtually every single major media outlet
in America reported time and time again, the alleged "20th hijacker,"
Zacarias Mossaoui, never told instructors at his Minnesota flight school
that he only wanted to learn how to fly a super-liner and not how to land
- Although Mossaoui's statement was "big news"
everywhere, the recent claim by a top federal official that Mossaoui never,
in fact, said what he was reported to have said didn't get headlines or
rate even a story of its own-this despite widespread public outrage at
- Instead, the information was buried in the next to last
paragraph in a story published in the May 22 New York Times under the innocuous
headline "Transportation Security Chief Says He Opposes Pilots' Carrying
Guns Aboard Planes."
- The Times article described, among other things, May
21 testimony before the Senate Commerce Committee by Transportation Secretary
Norman Mineta. Reported the Times:
- Mr. Mossaoui was turned in by his flight school in Minnesota
because of suspicious behavior, but Mr. Mineta said today that it was not
true that Mr. Mossaoui told his instructors, as has been widely reported,
that he was only interested in learning to maneuver a Boeing 747 and not
in how to land one. Mr. Mossaoui did want to learn to land the plane, Mr.
- Although Mossaoui-under indictment for purported conspiracy
in the 9-11 attacks-never made such a statement, the report that he made
such a statement essentially "convicted" Mossaoui in the public
eye and certainly tainted any possible jury pool, who will probably never
read the paragraph buried in the Times.
- Essentially, Americans must now decide who to believe.
The story raises several questions that Americans need to ask:
- * If the story is true and the entire national media
was reporting it accurately in the first place, then why is the Transportation
Secretary, Norman Mineta, now lying about it?
- * On the other hand, if the story is not true, where
did it originate and how did it get such widespread circulation in the
"mainstream" press in America?
- * Did a federal official leak the false story or was
it cooked up by someone in the media or by an anti-Muslim hate group such
as the ADL, which is known to plant false stories in the media?
- * Finally, if this widely-believed and widely-reported
story is not true, as The New York Times now reports, how many other such
false stories about 9-11 and other major events are now in circulation?
- > >http://www.americanfreepress.net/05_26_02/Media_Lied_/media_lied_.html