- Are self-anointed Jewish political "leaders"
trying to turn America into the kind of hell from which our people have
repeatedly been forced to escape for the last two millennia? Are they
going out of their way to prove the truth of the old Yiddish adage, "Our
own Jews will destroy us"?
- And do they aim -- through ignorance or ambition -- to
destroy this nation not only for Jews, but for the other 97 percent of
Americans, as well?
- Yes. If they have their way, they will.
- But it hasn't always been this way. Jews and America
have been good for each other.
- Jews have enriched this country through achievements
in science, law, business, arts, and culture. Our contributions range from
the sublime to the ridiculous. Although we are less than three percent
of the population, we constitute 21 percent of all Nobel Prize winners.
We've kept America laughing by producing 80 percent of its comedians from
Groucho Marx to Jerry Seinfeld. In every war since the War Between the
States, Jews have fought for freedom in disproportionate numbers, often
with great distinction.
- America, in turn, has blessed the Jews. Our forebears
came here to enjoy the freedom of a nation whose government -- unlike
those from which they fled -- was bound within strict limits. The Bill
of Rights, our chief protector, has stood against the savagery that might
otherwise be perpetrated by prejudiced individuals, institutions, and
- But judging by the mewling of many self-anointed leaders
you'd think the blessings of freedom counted for nothing. In their minds
and in their mouths, it's "victim" this and "victim"
- These "leaders" depict the U.S. as a nation
where helplessness, mindless violence, and bigotry prevail. They tell us
we are under siege from extremist organizations and hate groups -- often
choosing "enemies" so unlikely that a knowledgeable person is
struck with bemusement. For example, one of the latest groups defamed
by the Anti-Defamation League of the B'nai B'rith is the peaceful but
confrontational protest group, the Tyranny Response Team. Founded by a
Jew, Bob Glass, the TRT has fought harmful legislation by wearing yellow
Stars of David and handing out flyers showing victims of genocide. But
because the legislation they oppose is "gun control," which
the ADL supports, the ADL assigned "hate group" researchers
to investigate them. ADL representatives then reported to the media that
they need to "watch" the group because of the "kind of
people it might attract."
- Professional Jewish leaders demand obeisance to a vision
of Jews as helpless and passive by nature -- childlike victims toward
whom the entire world, not just the perpetrators of the Holocaust, owes
groveling remorse. They preach that our entire nation is populated by
similar victims whose sufferings give them an unquestionable moral claim
-- victims of poverty, disease, racism, government funding cuts, ignorance,
sexism, violence, and a whole host of newly discovered inequities and
- And they invariably propose one balm to heal all miseries:
government. And more government. Government unbound, unlimited, unhindered.
- In speeches and votes, Jewish legislators cry for an
expansion of government power so limitless it makes the carnivorous alien
plant in "Little Shop of Horrors" look like a rose in spring.
Politicians are joined in their socialist cry by other Jewish leaders
like Abraham Foxman of the Anti-Defamation League and Nobel-Prize-winning
scholar Elie Wiesel and media voices like Ed Asner and Barbra Streisand.
- In their utopian vision, government is a godlike, all-powerful,
all-seeing, all-knowing, force for good. That is -- for whatever "good"
politically powerful groups can impose by force.
- One of the "benefits" Jewish leaders want to
impose is disarmament. Not trusting ordinary men and women to own guns,
they work toward the day when uniformed soldiers, police, and other agents
of the state will hold a monopoly on the legal use of lethal force.
- Have these Jews forgotten their own history?
- Have they forgotten that, from Pharoah to Stalin and
Hitler, powerful governments have been their worst tormentors, their slave
masters, their ghettoizers, their inquisitors, their slaughterers?
- They certainly have forgotten that, throughout history,
the "benevolent" government that courts Jews one day turns on
us the next and sends us into exile, suffering, and death. For two millennia,
that's been the reality of Jewish existence.
- Do they want Jews to be victims? And worse, do they want
us to become, in reality, the nation of victims that populates their imaginations?
- A history of Jewish heroes
- Jews who nowadays crusade for the omni-benevolent, but
omni- controlling Nanny State have forgotten the proud Jewish traditions
of self defense, self reliance, and armed opposition to tyranny. Thankfully,
earlier American Jews had a better grasp of their history.
- Before the U.S. was a nation, Jews like Asser Levy and
Jacob Barsimon demanded their right to bear arms and patrol with the local
militiamen in New Amsterdam colony. They had to overcome the resistance
of Pieter Stuyvesant, the colony's anti-Semitic governor, who didn't trust
them with guns and wanted them to pay a tax so a Christian could bear
arms in their stead.
- Haym Salomon, friend to Washington and Lafayette, was
an American for just 13 years, from his immigration to his death. But
in that time, he was the major financier of the Revolution. He also gave
interest-free loans to Madison, Jefferson, and several generals of the
Continental Army -- then died broke when both public and private debtors
defaulted on $638,000 owed him.
- While most Christian colonists remained neutral or turned
Tory, the majority of the Jewish community supported freedom from oppressive
- And so it has gone through U.S. history. In the War Between
the States, the Union Army had eight Jewish generals and six Jewish Medal
of Honor winners. Confederate Jews fought valiantly for the states that
had respected their individual rights when the North rejected them. Isadore
Busch of St. Louis was one of the most prominent abolitionists in the
Midwest, while Judah P. Benjamin -- the first practicing Jew ever elected
to the U.S. Senate -- became Secretary of War, Attorney General, then
Secretary of State in the cabinet of Jefferson Davis. He was known as
"the brains of the Confederacy."
- Jews rode with Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders. In World
War I, Sgt. Ben Kaufman was threatened with a court martial when he refused
to stay in a hospital after being wounded in a gas attack. Shortly after,
in the Argonne forest, he charged a German machine gun nest, despite his
shattered right arm hanging at his side. Lobbing grenades with his left
hand, he ultimately captured the machine gun by menacing its crew with
an empty pistol. Then he took a German prisoner and went back to reveal
the location of German lines to his commanders.
- From Admiral Hyman Rickover, Father of the Nuclear Navy,
to the merest grunt slogging ashore on an embattled beach, Jews have fought
and died -- bearing arms.
- They preserved the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights
in turn protected their liberties by binding government -- the most potentially
oppressive, murderous human force on earth -- in the chains of law.
- Jewish law and armed defense
- By taking up arms, these heroes followed Jewish law and
tradition: A Jew may choose to defend against aggressors, but when the
threat is ominous, a Jew must fight back.
- The Talmud, the code of Jewish law, states: "If
someone comes to kill you, arise quickly and kill him." The Sixth
Commandment, poorly translated as "Thou shalt not kill," is
more properly translated from the Hebrew as, "You shall not commit
murder." It does not forbid the righteous taking of life. The Book
of Exodus (22:1) further confirms this, assuring us that "If a
burglar is caught in the act of breaking in, and is struck and killed,
it is not considered an act of murder" (assuming the intruder is
breaking into our home at night, when it is hardest to judge his intent).
- In Genesis 14:11-24, Abraham (Abram), rescues his nephew
Lot, held captive by four kings, by arming 318 servants and hunting down,
violently attacking, and dispersing Lot's royal captors.
- Because earlier American Jews followed these traditions
of righteous defense, they enjoyed life and freedom while their cousins
died by the millions at the hands of Hitler and suffered under Stalin.
- How things have changed
- Jews have benefited so greatly from America's limited
government that the epithet "statist Jew" should be as unbelievable
as "kosher ham."
- Jews have fought so well that when modern Jews sneer
at arms and those who bear them they dishonor the memory of their own ancestors.
What would Judah Maccabee -- the brilliant warrior who captured Jerusalem
from the Greeks and rededicated the Temple (a man once described as "Arnold
Schwartzenegger wearing a yarmulke") -- think of today's weapon
prohibitionists, who wouldn't have allowed him to bear a sword?
- Jews have suffered so grotesquely for their modern inability
to defend themselves that their "leaders'" moral repugnance toward
firearms constitutes suicidal self hatred.
- Nevertheless seriously misguided zealots -- "useful
idiots" in communist argot -- continue to lead the charge to strip
all but an elite few Americans of the right to protect themselves and
their loved ones.
- Sen. Charles Schumer sponsors or co-sponsors every major
victim disarmament bill. He's followed closely by Sens. Boxer, Lieberman,
Levin, Feingold, and Kohl.
- There's almost no expansion of state power that these
and other politically influential Jews don't consistently support: nationalization
of health care; thought-crime laws ("hate speech"); federal
control of education; foreign adventurism; rent control; tax-paid child
care; institutional education for toddlers; federal management of family
life; subsidies for business; wage-price controls; surveillance and databasing
of the population; subsidy or censorship of art; draconian law enforcement;
and greater spending on any program that creates more government dependents
- But to the drive for citizen disarmament, they bring
- Charles Schumer praised prominent anti-gun activist Sarah
Brady, telling her at a Congressional hearing, "You are doing G-d's
- But who exactly is Chuck Schumer's god? Certainly not
the G-d of Judeo-Christian teachings -- the G-d who championed righteous
self-defense in the name of life. Does Schumer worship the golden calf?
Or perhaps he was referring to Anubis, the Egyptian god of death who conducted
souls into the underworld. Or Set, the Egyptian god of chaos who personified
evil. For evil and death will reign in a world where thugs are armed and
disarmed victims bow helpless before them.
- Consider the Religious Action Center of the Union of
American Hebrew Congregations (AHC), a Washington, D.C.-based group that
bills itself as the "hub of Jewish social justice and legislative
activity in the nation's capital." This group has built an anti-gun
curriculum for children and adults that makes hatred for self-defense
a religious issue. Its first goal: "To see the issue of gun control
not only as a political issue, but as a moral obligation."
- The AHC adopted a disarmament resolution in 1999 that
called for members to make gun-control one of their highest priorities.
That resolution cited "the biblical injunction that we must not stand
idly by the blood of our neighbor." The bible cite is ironic, given
that the AHC urges policies that ensure that good people will have no
means to defend their neighbors from bloody- minded thugs.
- In ignorance of Jewish law, Rosanne Selfon, vice president
of Women of Reform Judaism, joined the 2000 Million Mom March, telling
the media. "We have a moral obligation that emanates from Torah and
G-d." Ms. Selfon should brush up on authentic Jewish teachings by
consulting Rabbi R. Mermelstein via his online "Ask the Rabbi"
- Rabbi Eric M. Lankin, executive director for the New
Jersey Region of the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, cites the
Jewish tradition of actively doing good and bettering the world as the
reason why gun-control "resonates with the Jewish community."
- Indeed, Jewish tradition says, "Destroy a life,
you destroy the world; save a life and you save the world." Yet these
leaders, in the name of religion, would turn the world over to destroyers
and render life savers powerless to protect their neighbors, friends,
families, or nations.
- Some Jewish religious leaders make sincere and thoughtful,
though tragically wrong, arguments. Others often sound as though they're
merely parroting clichés they've heard on TV -- "gun violence,"
"for the children," and the well-debunked canard "43 times
more likely to be killed by a gun in your own home." But it's not
until you enter the realm of the secular Jewish leadership that you encounter
the most unthinking prejudices.
- Several years ago, Jews for the Preservation of Firearms
Ownership compiled evidence that demonstrated how, in nation after nation,
gun-control laws have preceded mass slaughters of civilian populations.
When JPFO presented these findings to Elie Wiesel, a survivor of both
Auschwitz and Buchenwald, he refused even to consider its evidence. Wiesel,
who has said, "To remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin
of all," wrote a two-sentence response: "I received your recent
letter linking 'gun control' laws with genocide in the twentieth century.
Sorry, but I am for gun control. "Under Abraham Foxman, the Anti-Defamation
League of B'nai B'rith has departed from its mission of defense against
bigotry. Adopting a political party-line agenda, the ADL itself spews
bigotry against gun owners. The ADL calls for tolerance, but turns around
and smears those who oppose its disarmament goals as "extremists,"
"paranoiacs," "bigots," "gun-nuts," and
"haters." Thus the Anti-Defamation League becomes the Defamation
- And the toll of freedom-hating Jewish "leaders"
- One Step Leads To Another
- In nine major genocides of the twentieth century, at
least 74 million people were slaughtered by their own governments. * 1915
- 1917 Ottoman Turkey, 1 - 1.5 million Armenians murdered * 1929 - 1945
Soviet Union, 20 million people (some estimate over 50 milion) opponents
(or perceived opponents) of Stalin murdered * 1933 - 1945 Nazi-occupied
Europe, 20 million Jews, Gypsies, disabled people, homosexuals and political
opponents of Hitler murdered * 1927-1949 Nationalist China, 10 million
political opponents, army conscripts and others murdered * 1949 - 1976
Communist China, 20 million political opponents, rural people or "enemies
of the state" murdered * 1960 - 1981 Guatemala, 100,000 Mayan Indians
Murdered * 1971 - 1979 Uganda, 300,000 Christians and political rivals
of Idi Amin murdered * 1975 - 1979 Cambodia, 1 million educated people
murdered * 1994 Rwanda, 800,000 Tutsi people murdered. Each mass murder
was preceded by enactment of gun-control laws. Each murdered population
was first disarmed. Leaders of each murderous government were looking
for an unpopular group on which to pin the blame for persistent problems.
The newly published book Death By Gun Control  by Aaron Zelman and
Richard W. Stevens has the details.
- What will happen if the U.S. allows itself to fall into
that vicious spiral?
- Don't believe "It can't happen here." It can.
When powerful people, seeking to impose perfect solutions from above,
find that every road to Utopia fails, they're all too willing to take
the path that lies over the bodies of the dead or the enslaved.
- Efforts to legislate sweeping, top-down solutions to
human problems always fail, and for two good reasons. First, not all human
problems can be solved. Second, any attempt to impose universal, one-size-fits-all
solutions from above not only fails but generates a new set of "crises"
- Try to halt violence by restricting gun ownership and
you won't halt violence. But you will create entire classes of new criminals
-- people who make paperwork errors, violate technical specifications
of law, or rebel against the new restrictions. And you'll create new bureaus,
new enforcement arms, new prisons to punish them. You'll make hordes of
lawyers and bureaucrats very happy. Organized criminals will be grateful
to the naive moral crusaders ("useful idiots") as they profit
by selling an illegal product. And ordinary street criminals will bless
fools, legislators, and "leaders" for making their job so much
- Look around the world. In the UK, criminal use of handguns
increased 40 percent in the three years after that country decreed a near-total
ban on those weapons. Between March 1999 and March 2000 alone, crimes
committed in Britain with handguns rose by nearly one-third. These
are handguns that, according to the law of wishful thinking, don't exist.
A similar ban enacted in Australia resulted in a 3.2 percent increase
in homicides, 8.6 percent more assaults (especially on the elderly), and
an astonishing 45 percent increase in burglaries, with the undefended
elderly once again the prime victims.
- "Gun-control" advocates scoff when we call
their aim "victim disarmament." But unlike their "gun control"
-- which controls nothing except law-abiding people -- victim disarmament
is an accurate term. Deadly reality demonstrates that when the Schumers
of the world say they want our guns, what they're really saying is, "We
don't care if some woman gets raped. We don't care if old folks are helpless
in their own homes. We don't care if children die from pitchfork-wielding
madmen because we've prevented children from accessing guns. We just care
about having control."
- If your goal is gang violence and the deaths of women,
the elderly, and the helpless, get in line behind Chuck Schumer, Abraham
Foxman, and the god Anubis on the road to death.
- Today's "reasonable gun-control" becomes tomorrow's
catastrophic failure. But the answer, for those who love control, is never
to say, "That didn't work; let's get rid of it." Instead, when
one restriction on firearms possession doesn't miraculously end all violence,
proponents cry for another and yet another. The result is an endless escalation.
True believers demand ever-greater harshness in enforcement and seethe
with ever-greater desire to punish those who break the burgeoning laws.
Sometimes, as their desperation mounts, they merely strike out against
conveniently identified "troublemakers."
- Jewish leaders forget that, once this kind of mindless
spiral of blame and punishment seizes a society, the Jews often become
- I say to you self-enthroned Jewish "leaders,"
you don't lead me, as you lead your followers down this path to destruction.
You don't represent me in any way, nor do you represent many fine Jews
who value all of the Bill of Rights for all citizens.
- But I'm afraid someday I'll have to pay -- as both a
Jew and a freedom-loving American -- for your folly, you Jews who have
sight but no vision.
- Now I ask Jewish leaders:
- Why, if guns are so evil that their mere possession drives
otherwise peaceful people to violence, do you want police and military
forces to be better armed than you? Have you forgotten the glowing death's
heads, the silver lightning, the sleek black boots and tailored uniforms
of the Nazis who rousted your parents and grandparents from hiding and
drove them like farm animals to slaughter?
- Have you forgotten one of America's open secrets -- that
until recently the upper echelons of the U.S. military were virulently
anti-Semitic? That while Jews were dying in Europe U.S. Army officers
and intelligence agents were (as Joseph Bendersky documented in The Jewish
Threat) convinced that Jews were dangerous, subversive, and malign?
- And these are the people to whom you want to grant a
monopoly on the use of armed force?
- If your vigilance fails and a genuine hate group really
does take over America, how will you fight them, once you've disarmed yourself
and your countrymen?
- Why is the Shoah, the Holocaust, glorified above the
memories of the heroic deeds of Jews? Why not glorify the memories of unflinching
heroes: the Maccabees, and the bold young men and women of the ghettos
of Warsaw and Vilna who took a stand for life, not death?
- Why do Jewish leaders ignore the indisputable fact that
Jews who took up arms against Hitler survived in larger numbers than their
- Why do they ignore accounts like that of Harold Werner,
a Polish Jew who took to the woods with other partisans rather than submit
to the ghettos and camps? In Fighting Back, Werner told not only how he
and his fellows bedeviled Hitler, but how, as Hitler's minions retreated,
Jewish partisans used arms to protect other Jews from beatings and murders
by anti-Semitic civilians.
- Is it mere ignorance of history when Jewish leaders disregard
these facts? Is it slavish, propagandistic devotion to police state policies?
Or is it a death wish?
- Is it some macabre sense of irony that causes them only
to remember passive death on Holocaust Remembrance Day -- when the very
date was chosen because it fell within the weeks of the Warsaw Ghetto
rebellion, an act of courageous self- and community-defense that should
live in our memory for millennia?
- Most Jews in America are just like most other Americans.
They mow their lawns. They pay their taxes. And many of them send money
to groups like the ADL, telling themselves, "It's all taken care
of. The experts know what they're doing."
- In their passivity, they make the same mistake ghetto
Jews made when relying on the wisdom of the Judenrat, the Jewish Councils,
who in the name of "reason" and civility, betrayed them to Hitler
and the death camps.
- Some Socialist-leaning, anti-gun leaders may be passionate
but wrong-headed; a few may be venal, with their main goal to keep the
golden goose laying eggs. Many worship power and value "connections"
and the ability to "get things done in Washington."
- Their desire to curry favor with political establishment
is reminiscent of Jews of the Weimar Republic, who believed themselves
to be assimilated ("more German than Jewish," so the saying
went), but found out how tragically they'd deceived themselves when Hitler
came to power.
- Most members of Europe's Community Jewish Councils (called
Jewish Federations in the U.S.) never learned -- even after they had been
shut into ghettos, even after they'd helped select thousands of fellow
Jews to be marched to death camps -- that appeasers, in the end, share
the same fate as those whom they betray.
- American Jewish leaders are naïve if they believe
they can evade the consequences of history. They are evil if they knowingly
lead us all toward that familiar fate.
- How can professional victims like Elie Weisel walk through
death camps, yet deny the need for self defense?
- History shows that the biggest murderer of Jews and of
other minorities has not been hate groups but governments that have become
drunk with power.
- If you believe "It can't happen here," ask
the survivors of the Branch Dravidian church whose family members were
gassed and cremated. Ask members of the Bonus Army, peacefully protesting
veterans of World War I who, in 1932, were gassed and burned out of their
Washington, D.C., tent city by a military force led by those all-American
heroes Douglas MacArthur, Dwight Eisenhower, and George S. Patton. Ask
the students at Kent State, the WTO protestors in Seattle, or the veterans
of WWII who had to form an independent army and recapture their Tennessee
county by force of arms from a brutal and corrupt government in 1946.
- Ask the Japanese Americans who were forced into what
the New York Times accurately called concentration camps, their possessions
looted, their lands stolen.
- Even as they cry remembrance, Jewish leaders have forgotten
these things -- just as they have forgotten the underlying causes of Hitler's
- As Dr. Sarah B. Thompson wrote in "Raging Against
Self Defense," many who hate guns and believe they can end violence
by banning a tool are suffering a kind of mental instability. They project
their own fears and aggressions onto others. They imagine threats from
inanimate objects, disregarding the intentions of the possessors of those
objects. Despite clear evidence to the contrary, they deny that criminals
will still get arms and menace innocent people, no matter how many laws
are passed. They identify themselves as victims and boil with unstated
rage against anyone they imagine has the strength to victimize them. The
same amorphous anxiety that gives an edge to the humor of Jewish comedians
shows itself in Jewish leaders' desperate fear of guns. They feel threatened,
and it's easy to point to firearms and say, "If those just go away,
I'll feel better."
- When that false hope of inner peace and security fails,
as it inevitably will, what -- or who -- will political zealots turn on
- The challenge
- Jews have a reputation for being intelligent. But it's
stupid to destroy the Bill of Rights, the one document that has created
a historic haven for Jews when all the rest of the world has been against
us. If the guardian of the Bill of Rights -- the uninfringed right of
individuals to keep and bear arms -- is destroyed, how will we defend
ourselves when tyrants come to take our freedom of speech, religion, or
trial-by-jury or our protections against self-incrimination, unwarranted
searches, or cruel and unusual punishment?
- I challenge true Jewish leaders to promote Bill of Rights
Day on December 15 instead of giving all their energy to the self- perpetuating
Holocaust industry. Promote that special day and mean it. Learn the significance
of every amendment and support every shining one of our 10 protectors.
- Pursue justice -- by getting off the backs of peaceful
people. Put restrictions only on those who do harm.
- Promote self-reliance instead of perennial victimhood.
Support the right of all Americans to make our own decisions, including
the decision to buy, own, and use firearms responsibly.
- "Choose life," as our traditions bid us, by
living peacefully but developing the skill to protect your family, friends,
neighbors, and nation from those who choose death and destruction. You
can't choose life by throwing Holocaust literature at those who wish you
- When you cry, "Never again!" tell me how you'll
enforce that cry. Because make no mistake, there are people who will be
happy to push us all into gas chambers again. And if we don't stop them,
then our disarmed and demoralized neighbors certainly won't -- especially
not if they perceive that we were instrumental in disarming them and destroying
- I challenge you, Jewish leaders, to do what's best for
all America. Warmly embrace all of the Bill of Rights for all citizens,
In the long run, that's what's best for Jews and Judaism -- and for the
-  For more information on Jews in the U.S. from colonial
days onward, read A History of the Jews in America by Howard M. Sachar
(Vintage Books, 1992).
-  Tractate Barachot, pages 58A and 62B
-  In some translations, this passage appears as Exodus
-  "Judah Maccabee!" http://aish.com/a/chanukah60/judahmaccabee.asp.
-  By tradition, most religious Jews do not spell out
or speak the name of the Almighty outside of religious settings. Therefore,
we use "G-d" in this article to designate the G-d of the scriptures,
but we spell out references to a pagan "god" or "gods."
-  "Ask the Rabbi" can be found at http://www.jpfo.org/askrabbi.htm.
-  Death by Gun Control, Aaron Zelman and Richard W.
Stevens, Mazel Freedom Press, 2001; distributed by Jews for the Preservation
of Firearms Ownership
-  Gunter, Lorne. "Gun Laws Spur More Crime."
Edmonton Journal, February 17, 2001.
-  Dougherty, Jon E. "Crime Up Down Under."
WorldNetDaily, Friday, March 3, 2000, http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=15304
-  "Raging Against Self Defense: A Psychiatrist
Examines the Anti-Gun Mentality" by Sarah Thompson, M.D. can be read
online at http://www.jpfo.org/ragingagainstselfdefense.htm
- Copyright © Aaron Zelman 2001. Permission is granted
to distribute this article in its entirety, so long as full copyright information
and full contact information is given for JPFO.
- Published by:
- Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership, Inc.
P.O. Box 270143 Hartford, WI 53027
- Phone (262) 673-9745 Fax: (262) 673-9746 http://www.jpfo.org
- Archived at http://www.jpfo.org/alert20010903.htm