- Israeli tanks have entered the Palestinian city of Jenin
in the West Bank and shooting exchanges have broken out.
- Palestinian residents of the city said more than 20 tanks
and other armoured vehicles entered the city from the west, and soon after
gunfire and explosions were heard.
- There was no immediate word on casualties and the Israeli
military declined immediate comment.
- Last week, Israeli troops completed a six-week sweep
that targeted militants in the Palestinian cities and towns of the West
- Israeli forces have continued to make brief incursions
to arrest or kill suspected militants, but the operation in Jenin appeared
to be on a larger scale.
- The Jenin refugee camp, which is adjacent to the city,
was the scene of fierce fighting last month.
- The new incursion targeted the city and troops did not
immediately enter the refugee camp.