- Troops shoot dead Palestinian police 'as they try to
- Palestine claims Israeli troops have fired on a group
of Palestinian policemen who were attempting to surrender.
- Five have been killed and several injured in the incident
at a building near the centre of Ramallah.
- The Israeli military says "suspects" were in
the building and soldiers returned fire and killed a gunman.
- A standoff between soldiers on the street and policemen
who remained inside the building continued into the early hours.
- A group of 22 Palestinian policemen had been holed up
on the third floor of a residential building since the Israeli troops entered
Ramallah on Friday.
- The officers claim they ran out of food and water and
shouted out the window to nearby troops that they were prepared to surrender.
- A police spokesman said: "We spoke with one of the
soldiers and he gave us instructions to come out of the building and put
our weapons down."
- He added: "We put our weapons at the main entrance
and started to walk out when the Israelis fired on us."
- He says the men scrambled back inside the building and
up the stairs to take cover, but three policemen were killed at the entrance,
and two died later of their wounds. He said others were also injured.
- But the Israeli military said "wanted men"
were in the building and one of them, wearing an explosives belt, opened
fire on them. The reports cannot could be independently verified because
the area is regarded as too dangerous to approach.