- JERUSALEM - Forty minutes
after a telephoned warning, the Jerusalem Railway Station was blown up
yesterday. Agency reports say that at least twelve people are missing,
and the station will not be able to be used for a week.
- A young Jewess described as the "Girl in Red"
slipped past Arab police, held up the railway clerk at pistol point, and
planted three suitcases, containing bombs, in the waiting room.
- Troops and police were rushed to the station to try and
locate the bombs and a constable managed to remove one. A second exploded
in his hands while he was trying to get it out of the building, wrecking
the loading room and the waiting room. The police constable was killed
- In the meanwhile, the "Girl in Red" leapt into
a taxi, which tore off through a hail of fire from police. In an attempt
to break through the police cordon drawn around the city, the taxi roared
through twisting lanes in the Jewish slum quarters.
- It is thought that the taxi must have stopped briefly
to let the girl out, because when it was finally cornered near the walls
of the Old City, she was not in it. The only occupants were three Jews,
two of whom were wounded. There was a quantity of explosives and
under the flooring of the taxi.
- Police took in charge the bullet riddled, bloodstained
taxi, scoured the adjacent Montefiore quarter, and arrested another Jew
who was found wounded in a nearby house. They also held ten other suspects
including a girl dressed in red, who is being questioned in an attempt
to establish the identity of the girl who planted the bombs.
- Although earlier agency reports mentioned at least 12
missing, the only fatality so far mentioned in the official version is
the police officer. He was a demolition expert. Reuters in Jerusalem says
that police and troops last night were still searching the debris at the
station for further casualties.
- After the explosion, an Irgun Zvai Leumi (terrorist)
spokesman, broadcasting over the secret radio "Voice of Fighting
said: "The Jews are at war. Only arms will decide Palestine's future,
not an election."
- Final death toll is 12, with 11 injured. The Female
terrorist has been identified as Sima Fleishhaker-Hoizman.
- Source: The Daily New, Perth, Western Australia 31
- From: http://www.geocities.c