A Career In Microbiology Can Be
Harmful To Your Health -
Especially Since 9-11

By Michael Davidson

© Copyright 2002, From The Wilderness Publications,, All rights reserved. May be recopied, distributed for non-profit purposes only; May not be posted on an Internet web site without express written authorization. Contact for permission.

[As FTW has begun to investigate serious discussions by legitimate scientists and academics on the possible "necessity" of reducing the world's population by more than four billion people, no stranger set of circumstances since 9-11-01 adds credibility to this possibility than the suspicious deaths of what may be as many as 12 world-class microbiologists. Following on the heels of our two-part series on the coming world oil crisis, this story by Michael Davidson, FTW's new staff writer, and a graduate of the Syracuse University School of Journalism, is one which takes on a unique significance. Special thanks to Jeff Rense, and researcher Ian Gurney for bringing five of these deaths to FTW's and the world's attention first. - MCR]

FTW - February 14, 2002 -- How many microbiologists does it take to change a light bulb?

Whatever you think the answer may be, change that light bulb soon. Microbiologists are dropping like flies.

In the two-week period from December 12, 2001 through December 23, 2001, five world-class microbiologists in different parts of the world were reported dead. Four undoubtedly died of "unnatural" causes, while the fifth's death is quite questionable.

In the ten weeks prior to December 12, 2001, two additional microbiologists were killed, and possibly another five. The period also saw the deaths of three Israelis holding high-level positions in either medical research or public health.

On December 10, 2001, Dr. David Schwartz, 57, was found murdered in his rural home in Loudon County, Virginia.

On December 12, 2001, Dr. Benito Que was found comatose in the street near the laboratory where he worked at the University of Miami Medical School.

On December 14, 2001, Set Van Nguyen was found dead in the airlock entrance to the walk-in refrigerator in the laboratory he worked at in Victoria State, Australia.

On November 16, 2001, Dr. Don C. Wiley, 57, vanished, and his abandoned rental car was found on the Hernando de Soto Bridge outside Memphis, TN.

And on December 23, 2001, Dr. Vladimir Pasechnik, 64, was found dead in Wiltshire, England, a village near his home.

Before these deaths, on October 4, 2001, a commercial jetliner traveling from Israel to Novosibirsk, Siberia was shot down over the Black Sea by an "errant" Ukrainian surface-to-air missile, killing all on board. The missile was over 100 miles off-course. Despite early news stories reporting it as a charter, the flight (Air Sibir 1812) was a regularly scheduled flight. According to several press reports, including a 12/05/01 article by Barry Chamish and one on 1/13/02 by Jim Rarey (both available at, the plane is believed by many in Israel to have had as many as four or five passengers who were microbiologists. Both Israel and Novosibirsk are homes for cutting-edge microbiological research. Novosibirsk is known as the scientific capital of Siberia. There are over 50 research facilities there, and 13 full universities for a population of only 2.5 million people.

At about the time of the Black Sea crash, Israeli journalists had been sounding the alarm that two Israeli microbiologists had been murdered, allegedly by terrorists. On November 24, 2001 a Swissair flight from Berlin to Zurich crashed on its landing approach. 9 passengers did survive the November 24, 2001 Swissair crash outside Zurich. Killed in the crash, the head of the Hematology department at Israel's Ichilov Hospital, as well as directors of the Tel Aviv Public Health Department and Hebrew University School of Medicine. They were the only Israelis on the flight. The names of those killed, as reported in a subsequent Israeli news story but not matched to their job titles, were Avishai Berkman, Amiramp Eldor and Yaacov Matzner.

Besides all being microbiologists, the five scientists who died within two weeks of each other pose severe problems with "official" explanations of their deaths. And four of the five were doing virtually identical research; research that has global political and financial significance.

Dr. Robert M. Schwartz was a founding member of the Virginia Biotechnology Association, and the Executive Director of Research and Development at Virginia's Center for Innovative Technology. He was extremely well respected in biophysics, and regarded as an authority on DNA sequencing. Co-workers became concerned when he didn't show up at his office, and he was later found dead at home. Loudon County Sheriff's officials said he was "apparently" stabbed. It has been theorized that Dr. Schwartz may have interrupted a burglary in progress. Nothing, however, has indicated that investigators found evidence of unauthorized entry, or anything missing. An adult and two teen-agers have been arrested in the case. The three are said to have a fascination with both swords and Satanism, and the murder may have been part of a ritual. The Loudon County Sheriff Criminal Investigation Division will not release any additional information on the case, which remains open.

Dr. Benito Que was found comatose on a street in Miami, FL. He had left his job at a research laboratory at the University of Miami Medical School, apparently heading for his Ford Explorer parked on NW 10th Ave. The Miami Herald, in its only story on Dr. Que, referred to the death as an "incident", and quoted Miami police as saying his death may have been the result of a mugging. Police made this statement despite saying there was a lack of visible trauma to Dr. Que's body. Among Dr. Que's friends and family there is firm belief that Dr. Que was attacked by four men, at least one of whom had a baseball bat. Dr. Que's death has now been officially ruled "natural", caused by cardiac arrest. Both the Dade County medical examiner and the Miami Police will not comment on the case, saying it is closed. The public relations office at the University of Miami Medical School says only that Dr. Que was a cell biologist, involved in oncology research in the hematology department.

Set Van Nguyen was found dead at the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization's animal diseases facility in Geelong, Australia. He had worked there 15 years. In January, 2001, the magazine Nature published information that two scientists at this facility, using genetic manipulation and DNA sequencing, had created an incredibly virulent form of mousepox, a cousin of smallpox. The researchers were extremely concerned that if similar manipulation could be done to smallpox, a terrifying weapon could be unleashed.

According to Victoria Police, Nguyen died after entering a refrigerated storage facility. "He did not know the room was full of deadly gas which had leaked from a liquid nitrogen cooling system, Unable to breathe, Mr. Nguyen collapsed and died" says the official report.

Nitrogen is not a "deadly" gas, and is a part of the air. An extreme over-abundance of nitrogen in one's immediate atmosphere would gradually cause shortness of breath, lightheadedness, and fatigue; conditions a biologist would certainly recognize. Additionally, a nitrogen leak in a laboratory's refrigerator system sufficient to fill the room with nitrogen would set off gas system alarms, and would be so massive as to cause complete failure of the refrigeration system, causing the temperature to rise, also setting off alarms that every one of these systems is equipped with as a standard safety procedure.


Dr. Don C. Wiley, of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute at Harvard University, was one of the most prominent microbiologists in the world. He had won many of the field's most prestigious awards, including the 1995 Albert Lasker Basic Medical Research Award for work that could make anti-viral vaccines a reality. He was heavily involved in research on DNA sequencing, and was last seen at around midnight on December 16, leaving the St. Jude's Children's Research Advisory Dinner at The Peabody Hotel in Memphis, TN. Associates attending the dinner said he showed no signs of intoxication, and no one has admitted to drinking with him.

His rented Mitsubishi Galant was found about four hours later, abandoned on a bridge across the Mississippi River, headed towards Arkansas. Keys were in the ignition, the gas tank full, but the hazard flashers had not been turned on. Wiley's body was found on December 20, snagged on a tree along the Mississippi River in Vidalia, LA, 300 miles south of Memphis. During this four-day period Dr. Wiley's death was handled as a "missing person" case and police did no forensic examinations.

Early reports about Wiley's disappearance made no mention of paint marks on his car, or a missing hubcap which turned up in subsequent reports. The type of accident needed to knock off the hubcaps (actually a complete wheel cover) used on recent model Galants would have caused marked damage to the sheet metal on either side of the wheel, and probably the wheel itself. No body or wheel damage to the car has been reported.

Wiley's car was found about a five minute drive from the hotel where he was last seen. There is a four-hour period in his evening that cannot be accounted for. There is also no explanation as to why he would have been headed into Arkansas late at night. Dr. Wiley was staying at his father's home in Memphis.

The Hernando de Soto Bridge carries Interstate 40 out of Memphis, across the Mississippi River into Arkansas. It was early Sunday morning (or late Saturday night depending on your point of view) in one of America's premier music and nightclub towns. The traffic on the bridge was reduced to a single lane in each direction. This would have caused all eastbound traffic out of Saturday-night, Christmas-season Memphis to slow down and travel in one lane. Anything in the other two closed lanes would have been plainly obvious to every passing person. There are no known witnesses to Dr. Don Wiley stopping his car on the bridge.

On January 14, 2002 (over three weeks later) Shelby County Medical Examiner O.C. Smith announced that his department had ruled Dr. Wiley's death to be "accidental"; the result of massive injuries suffered in a fall from the Hernando de Soto Bridge. Smith said there were paint marks on Wiley's rental car similar to the paint used on construction signs on the bridge, and that the car's right front hubcap was missing. There has been no report as to which construction signs Dr. Wiley hit. There is also no explanation as to why this evidence did not move the Memphis police to consider possibilities other than "missing person."

Mr. Smith theorizes that Wiley pulled over to the outermost lane of the bridge (that lane being closed at the time) to inspect the damage to his car. Smith's subsequent explanation for the fall requires several other things to have occurred simultaneously:

· Dr. Wiley had to have had one of the two or three seizures he has per year due to a rare seizure disorder known only to family and close friends, that seizure being brought on by use of alcohol earlier that evening;

· A passing truck creating a huge blast of wind, roadway bounce due to heavy traffic; and, · Dr. Wiley had to be standing right at the edge of the guard rail which, because of Wiley's 6' 3" height, would have come only to his mid-thigh.

These conditions would have put Wiley's center of gravity above the rail, and the seizure would have caused him to lose balance as the truck created the bounce and blast, causing him to fall off the bridge.


In 1989, Dr. Vladimir Pasechnik defected from the Former Soviet Union (FSU) to Great Britain while on a trip to Paris. He had been the #1 scientist in the FSU's bioweapons program. On November 23, 2001, Pasechnik's death was reported in the New York Times as having occurred two days earlier.

The New York Times obituary indicated that the announcement of Pasechnik's death was made in the United States by Dr. Christopher Davis of Virginia, who stated that the cause of death was a stroke. Dr. Davis was the member of British intelligence who de-briefed Dr. Pasechnik at the time of his defection. Dr. Davis says he left the intelligence service in 1996. When asked why a former member of British intelligence would be the person announcing the death of Dr. Pasechnik to U.S. media, Dr. Davis replied that it had come about during a conversation with a reporter he had had a long relationship with. The reporter Davis named is not the author of the Times' obituary, and Dr. Davis declined to say which branch of British intelligence he served in. No reports of Pasechnik's death appeared in Britain for more than a month until December 29, 2001, when his obituary appeared in the London Telegraph. Doing a Google search on the Web for "Vladimir Pasechnik" brings up, among many, two links to that obituary in the London Telegraph.

Attempts to access either of those links resulted in "Page Not Found".

Vladimir Pasechnik spent the ten years after his defection working at the Centre for Applied Microbiology and Research at the UK Department of Health, Salisbury. On February 20, 2000, it was announced that, along with partner Caisey Harlingten, Dr. Pasechnik had formed a company called Regma Biotechnologies Ltd. Regma describes itself as "a new drug company working to provide powerful alternatives to antibiotics." Like three other microbiologists detailed in this article, Pasechnik was heavily involved in DNA sequencing research. During the anthrax panic of this past fall, Pasechnik offered his services to the British government to help in any way possible. Despite Regma having a public relations department that has released many items to the press over the past two years, the company has not announced the death of one of its two founders.

Early October saw reports that British scientists were planning to exhume the bodies of 10 London victims of the 1918 type-A flu epidemic. An October 8, 2001 report in The Guardian said that the victims of "the Spanish Flu" had been victims of "the world's most deadly virus." British scientists hope to uncover the genetic makeup of the virus, making it easier to combat. Professor John Oxford of London's Queen Mary's School of Medicine, the British government's flu adviser, acknowledges that the exhumations and subsequent studies will have to be done with extreme caution so the virus is not unleashed to cause another epidemic. The uncovering of a pathogen's genetic structure is the exact work Dr. Pasechnik was doing at Regma. Pasechnik died six weeks after the planned exhumations were announced. The need to exhume the bodies assumes no Type-A flu virus sample exists in any lab anywhere in the world.


Almost immediately at the outset of the anthrax scare, the Bush administration contracted with Bayer Pharmaceuticals for millions of doses of Cipro, an antibiotic to treat anthrax. This was done despite many in the medical community stating that there were several cheaper, better alternatives to Cipro, which has never been shown to be effective against inhaled anthrax. The Center for Disease Control's (CDC) own website states a preference for the antibiotic doxycycline over Cipro for inhalation anthrax. CDC expresses concerns that widespread Cipro use could cause other bacteria to become immune to antibiotics.

After three months of conflicting reports it is now official that the anthrax that has killed several Americans since October 5 is from US military sources connected to CIA research. The FBI has stated that only 10 people could have had access, yet at the same time they are reporting astounding security breaches at the biowarfare facility at Ft. Detrick, MD; breaches such as unauthorized nighttime experiments and lab specimens missing.

The militarized anthrax used by the United States was developed by William C. Patrick III, who holds five classified patents on the process. He has worked at both Ft. Detrick, and the Dugway Proving Grounds in Utah. Patrick is now a private biowarfare consultant to the military and CIA. Patrick developed the process by which anthrax spores could be concentrated at the level of one trillion spores per gram. No other country has been able to get concentrations above 500 billion per gram. The anthrax that was sent around the eastern United States last fall was concentrated at one trillion spores per gram.

In recent years Patrick has worked with Kanatjan Alibekov. Now known by the Americanized "Ken Alibek", he defected to the U.S. in 1992. Before defecting, Alibek was the #2 man in the FSU's biowarfare program.

His boss was Dr. Vladimir Pasechnik.


The DNA sequencing work that the above microbiologists were doing is aimed at developing drugs that will fight pathogens based on the pathogen's genetic profile. The work is also aimed at eventually developing drugs that will work in cooperation with a person's genetic makeup. Theoretically, a drug could be developed for one specific person. That being the case, it's obvious that one could go down the ladder, and a drug could be developed to effectively treat a much broader class of people sharing a genetic marker. The entire process can also be turned around to develop a pathogen that will affect a broad class of people sharing a genetic marker. A broad class of people sharing a genetic marker could be a group such as a race, or people with brown eyes.


About 10 weeks before 9-11, in June, 2001, senior government officials gathered at Andrews Air Force Base for an extremely complex war game called Dark Winter. One Dark Winter scenario had several major media outlets receiving letters demanding the immediate removal of all U.S. military forces from Saudi Arabia and the waters of the Persian Gulf. The demand is backed by the threat of biological attacks using anthrax, smallpox and plague. Another part of the Dark Winter exercise involved a terrorist smallpox release in Oklahoma City infecting 300,000 people, killing a third in about three weeks. Analysis of the exercise concluded that dealing with the epidemic was impossible due to an inadequate vaccine supply.

In 1998, the BioPort Corporation was founded for the express purpose of buying the Michigan Biologic Products Institute from the State of Michigan. MBPI was the only firm in the U.S. making Anthrax vaccine, and their sole client was the U.S. government. Until recently, BioPort has not been able to deliver any vaccine due to continuous problems with the FDA in areas such as sterility, contamination, as well as improper procedures and record keeping.

BioPort now has on its Board of Directors Admiral William J. Crowe, Jr. In October 1985 Crowe was appointed Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He retired from that position in 1989 and was appointed US Ambassador to Britain. Admiral Crowe, a long-time member of the Council on Foreign Relations, was given ownership of 22.5% of BioPort's stock without investing any money. Crowe's role at the company was to facilitate cooperation and good relations with government agencies and to secure military contracts from the Department of Defense.

After four years of constant factory violations that prevented the vaccine from being shipped, on December 13, 2001 the FDA began re-inspecting the BioPort anthrax facility in Lansing, MI. On January 14, 2002 The FDA issued a full approval of the facility, and on January 31 BioPort got final approval to distribute their anthrax vaccine.

BioPort's anthrax vaccine is quite controversial, with a great deal of debate about both its safety and efficacy.


An October 17, 2001 story in USA Today reported that the US government wanted to order 300 million doses of smallpox vaccine. Apparently, that wish has been granted. On November 28, 2001 a British vaccine maker, Acambis, announced that it had received a $428 million contract to provide 155 million doses of smallpox vaccine to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). This was Acambis' second contract. The company is already in the process of producing 54 million doses. The U.S. government has 15.4 million doses stockpiled, and HHS plans to dilute them five to one. The two contracts and the dilution program will bring the total HHS stockpile to 286 million doses.

Smallpox was officially declared eradicated by the World Health Organization in 1977, after treating the last known case in Merca, Somalia.

According to Steven Black, a director of the Kaiser Permanente Vaccine Study Center, vaccinating the entire U.S. population for smallpox will probably result in 600 to 1,000 deaths, and several thousand cases of encephalitis. Chief of the infectious disease department at Thomas Jefferson University Medical School, Roger Pomerantz, warns about the complete lack of knowledge about the reaction to the vaccine of people under the age of two or over 65. He also expressed great concern about the reaction of persons with weakened immune systems, such as those with transplants, people undergoing chemotherapy, and those with HIV/AIDS.


On October 5, 2001 a meeting was convened of the Center for Law and the Public Health (CLPH). This group is run jointly by Georgetown University Law School and Johns Hopkins Medical School, and was founded under the auspices of the Center for Disease Control (CDC). CLPH was formed one month prior to the 2000 Presidential election. The purpose of the 10/5/01 meeting was to draft legislation to respond to the then current bioterrorism threat.

After working only 18 days, on 11/23/01 CLPH released a 40-page document called the Model Emergency Health Powers Act (MEHPA). This was a "model" law that HHS is suggesting be enacted by the 50 states to handle future public health emergencies such as bioterrorism. A revised version was released on 12/21/01 containing more specific definitions of "public health emergency" as it pertains to bioterrorism and biologic agents, and includes language for those states that want to use the act for chemical, nuclear or natural disasters.

Under the terms of MEHPA, after declaring a "public health emergency", without consultation with public health authorities, law enforcement, the legislature or courts, a state governor or anyone he/she decides to empower, can, among many other things:

* Require any individual to be vaccinated. Refusal constitutes a felony and will result in quarantine.


* Require any individual to undergo specific medical treatment. Refusal constitutes a felony and will result in quarantine.

* Seize any property, including real estate, food, medicine, fuel or clothing, an official thinks necessary to handle the emergency.

* Seize and destroy any property alleged to be hazardous. There will be no compensation or recourse.

* Draft you or your business into state service.

* Impose rationing, price controls, quotas and transportation controls.

* Suspend any state law, regulation or rule that is thought to interfere with handling the declared emergency.

When the Federal government wanted the states to enact the 55 mph speed limit, they coerced the states using the threat of withholding federal monies. It is reasonable to assume the same tactic will be used with MEHPA. As of this writing, the law has been passed in Kentucky. It has been introduced in the legislatures of Arizona, California, Delaware, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Michigan, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. It is expected to be introduced shortly in Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, and Wisconsin. MEHPA is being evaluated by the executive branches in North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia and Washington, DC.

So now we come to the end of the story, and it's reasonable to ask "What's the connection between dead microbiologists, vaccine contracts and MEHPA?"

The research the microbiologists were doing could have developed methods of treating diseases like anthrax and smallpox without conventional antibiotics or vaccines. Pharmaceutical contracts to deal with these diseases will total hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars. If epidemics could be treated in non-traditional ways, MEHPA might not be necessary. Considering the government's actions nullifying many civil liberties since last September, MEHPA seems to be a law looking for an excuse to be enacted. Maybe the microbiologists were in the way of some peoples' or business' agendas.

We also know that DNA sequence research can be used to develop pathogens that target specific genetically related groups. One company, DynCorp, handles data processing for many Federal agencies, including the CDC, the Department of Agriculture, several branches of the Department of Justice, the FDA and the National Institute of Health. On 11/12/01 DynCorp announced that its subsidiary, DynPort, had been awarded a $322 million contract to develop, produce, test, and store FDA licensed vaccines for use by the DoD. It would be incredibly easy for DynCorp to hide information pertaining to the exact make-up, safety, efficacy and purpose of the drugs and vaccines the U.S. government has contracted for.

One thing is certain: the small and elite community of world class microbiologists is well aware that its numbers are shrinking and these dead microbiologists were among the few who could have answered these important questions.


From: name witheld by request

I have just finished reading the article posted on your website re "A Career in Microbiology Can Be Harmful To Your Health. It is probably one of the singularly most informative and important articles to make your website - and should be a MUST READ for any concerned citizen in this country. Something that will make the Nazi's look like a walk in the park is afoot I am certain, and most people are so busy wrapping themselves in the American flag that they don't have a clue. PLEASE - continue to post articles like this as if you can get thru to even one unenlightened individual out there it will help - hopefully.
Keep up the good work!!!!!

Email This Article


This Site Served by TheHostPros