- BEIJING (PNS) - In a veiled
attack on Israel, China on Thursday cautioned countries against doing
that would endanger peace and stability in South Asia in the wake of
that Israel was planning to sell advanced Phalcon Airborne Warning and
Control System (AWACS) to India.
- "We hope that the various countries will make their
efforts to preserve stability and peace in South Asia," Chinese
ministry spokeswoman Zhang Qiyue told reporters here when asked to comment
on reports that Israel may sell the Phalcon AWACS system to India.
- "There are some press reports that Israel wishes
to sell the early warning system to some other countries. We have taken
notice of that," Zhang said.
- The Phalcon radar, developed jointly by the US and
can simultaneously track up to 60 targets over 800 km radius to support
defensive and offensive operations.
- China's relations with Israel is reportedly under strain
after the latter cancelled a firm order to sell Phalcon radar to the
giant under strong US pressure in June 2000.
- Commenting on Sino-Israeli negotiations on a compensation
amount, Zhang said the talks are still continuing. As for the questions
between China and Israel, the two sides are still holding consultations
with each other.
- We hope that the Israeli side will make positive efforts
for the improvement of bilateral ties, Zhang said.