- NABLUS, West Bank (Reuters)
- Mahmoud Abu Hanoud, a senior military leader of the militant Islamic
group Hamas, was killed on Friday by an Israeli missile strike near the
Palestinian West Bank town of Nablus, two Hamas spokesmen said.
- Abu Hanoud was one of the top Hamas militants sought
by Israel, which had tried to kill him several times in the past.
- "Based on information given to the Abu Hanoud family
by the pathologist in Jenin hospital, it was confirmed that the body
to Mahmoud Abu Hanoud," said Adnan Asfour, a Hamas spokesman in
- A Hamas spokesman in Jenin said doctors at the hospital
where his charred remains were taken had "announced the death of Abu
- Hanoud was killed along with his deputy, Ayman Hashaikah,
and a third man when Israeli helicopters fired missiles at their car in
the West Bank earlier on Friday.
- The fact that the body parts were dismembered and burned
had delayed identification, Palestinian officials said.
- Hanoud's death was bound to inflame passions in the
Palestinian uprising against Israeli occupation which erupted shortly after
peace talks stalled.
- Hamas, which opposes Israel's existence, has mounted
a bombing campaign which has killed scores of Israelis since the uprising
- Israel has killed some 70 Palestinian militants it says
are behind attacks on Israelis since the revolt flared. Palestinians call
the killings -- which have been condemned internationally --
- GAZA (Reuters) - A senior
political official of the militant Islamic group Hamas vowed on Friday
that the group would take revenge for Israel's killing of a top Hamas
- Israel killed Mahmoud Abu Hanoud, one of the top men
on its most-wanted list, with a missile strike on the car in which he was
traveling near the West Bank city of Nablus earlier in the day.
- "The assassination of Abu Hanoud was not a simple
incident," Hamas official Abdel-Aziz al-Rantissi told Reuters in
- "Experience has shown that the military wing of
Hamas reacts to the Israeli crimes and always strikes back. God willing,
there will be a painful response against the criminal enemy," he
- Hamas has killed scores of Israelis in suicide bombings
in past years and has taken a key role in the 14-month-old Palestinian
uprising against Israeli occupation.
Site Served by TheHostPros