- An elite American military unit is preparing for possible
incursion into Pakistan in order to steal its nuclear weapons arsenal,
it is reported today.
The special forces unit is training with Israel's most trusted anti-terrorist
unit, and would be called into action in the event that Gen Pervaiz Musharraf
lost power in Pakistan, the New Yorker magazine said.
The CIA believes that Pakistani army officers sympathetic to the Taliban
could pose a threat to Gen Musharraf, and that some of the country's estimated
24 nuclear warheads could be stolen by renegades within Pakistan's intelligence
service, the ISI.
Seymour Hersch, a journalist whose reporting on the post-September 11 crisis
has been broadly accurate so far, said that members of Israel's Unit 262,
or Sayeret Matkal, came to America soon after the attacks and have been
training with Pentagon special forces.
Mr Hersch quoted a "senior military officer" as confirming that
intense planning was going on for the "exfiltration" - theft
- of warheads. But there are doubts about whether the CIA - or any other
intelligence agency - knows the exact location of Pakistan's warheads,
which were first tested, to the surprise of American intelligence agencies,
The fear that Gen Musharraf could lose control of the country and some
or all of the warheads is based on the close links between the ISI and
the Taliban. Last week, the Pakistani president dismissed such concerns.
- "We have an excellent command-and-control system
which we have evolved, and there is no question of their falling into the
hands of any fundamentalists," Gen Musharraf said. Pakistan is thought
to have a number of intermediate-range missiles to carry its warheads as
well as using F-16 fighter-bombers.
There are a number of possible targets for the use of these weapons by
renegades sympathetic to the Islamic extremists in Afghanistan. These include
India, itself a nuclear power, or the four American aircraft carriers and
British vessels currently cruising off Pakistan's coastline as bases for
air and commando attacks on the Taliban and al-Qa'eda.
- Analysis -
- This could be the REAL Great Game.
- The cat has slipped the bag: the Bush administration
is after PAKISTAN and
- the Muslim bomb.
- Afghanistan is the Trojan Horse by which the US inserted
its military into
- Pakistan. First one base, then another, and another.
Musharraf is a blind
- FOOL or is a CIA asset and traitor to his nation.
- By 'inviting' the US into Pakistan to fight the Taliban
and bin Laden,
- Musharraf may well have already sold his country out.
- Israel fears the Muslim Bomb more than anything else.
Pakistan MUST fall
- into US (read: Isreali) control for Israel's security.
India is involved.
- Even if the Islamic fundamentalists don't oust Musharraf,
the CIA could
- create an instant crisis by deleting him anytime. Watch
- possible/probable bloody coup d'etat and wholesale US/Israeli-abetted
- attacks on Pakistan's nuclear weapons and weapons-making
- The Bush-Israel coalition may be aiming to destroy the
'Muslim bomb' and
- put much of Central Asia under NWO control.