- Sacramento Record Union September 18th, 1896
- What Was It?
- An Apparition Wandering Through the Atmosphere
- Several persons last evening, between 6 and 7 o'clock,
saw a big ball of fire, like an electric light, pass over the city going
in a southwesterly direction. It moved slowly and was in sight for more
than a half-hour, finally disappearing in the mist and darkness.
- More than one person was heard to declare that he distinguished
human voices engaged in song and mirth coming from above , but could discover
no out line of a balloon-nothing but a large ball of light.
- One man in the suburbs declares he heard a voice warning
"the man at the helm" to go higher, or they would collide with
the church steeples, etc.
- It is possible someone sent up an illuminated balloon,
or that a stray meteor was hunting for the rest of the gang, but there
really were persons who insisted that it was a new fanged airship lighted
by electricity and traveling for San Francisco from-somewhere.