- Palestinians across the West Bank on Tuesday celebrated
the series of aircraft attacks on New York and Washington. There were scenes
of celebration in the West Bank cities of Nablus, Tul Karm, Bethlehem and
the Balata refugee camp.
- While Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat condemned
the attacks which levelled the twin towers of the World Trade Center in
New York City and struck the Pentagon in Washington, hundreds of Palestinians
distributed sweets in Nablus.
- "I feel I am in a dream. I never believed that one
day the United States would come to pay a price for its support to Israel,"
said Mustafa, a 24-year-old Palestinian gunman.
- Several dozen Palestinian youths gathered in East Jerusalem
to celebrate as well, honking out wedding tunes on their car horns. "We
are so happy that America was hit. America is against us in supporting
Israel," Suleiman, one of the demonstrators, said.
- In Nablus, motorists honked their horns and gunmen fired
into the air from assault rifles to cheer on the attacks which unfolded
in the space of a few hours.