- Chilean ufologists have demanded that the state declassifies
numerous secret documents containing information about UFO sightings. Most
of the documents have been classified by the military. Chile, a country
with 15 million inhabitants, is considered the fifth in the world with
the most UFO sightings, following the US, Peru, Brazil and Russia.
- "We know about air force pilots, army and customs
officers (militarized police) who have had encounters with UFOs and whose
testimonies were deliberately hidden ", stated Cristian Riffo, director
of Ovnivisión Chile.
- Within the framework of the exhibition " Animatronics
UFOs and the Universe", that started on June 21st in the capitol city
of Santiago, Riffo indicated that several testimonies were revealed to
him "confidentially because they (the eyewitnesses) did not dare to
talk about their alleged encounters publicly ".
- Riffo continued by mentioning that the Chilean Government
has taken this issue with very little seriousness because there are still
several state institutions withholding information that has not yet been
- As a result, Chilean ufologists will make a petition
for President Lagos requesting that the government make these testimonies
available in public libraries. Last February, a similar proposal was sent
to President Lagos, but he has not yet replied.
- Translation by Mario Andrade, R.D.C.
- Dr. Virgilio Sánchez-Ocejo
- Miami UFO Center http://www.angelfire.com/fl/ufomiami/index.html