- STONY PLAIN, ALBERTA
- A funeral will be held Wednesday in Alberta for a teenage boy who was
teased in school.
- Gilles Moreau, 16, was found dead Sunday near a creek
in the town of Stony Plain, just west of Edmonton. Police say alcohol was
a factor in his death and it was not the result of a criminal act.
- Moreau's body was found under this bridge
- Some students at his school claim they saw Moreau drinking
the night he died. Many admit he was regularly picked-on and said Moreau
had difficulty fitting in.
- Gilles' mother, Elaine, said her son was singled out
because he was small and wore glasses. He also had a learning disability.
- The family issued a statement calling on children to
be more tolerant. It said, "We want kids to realize life is not a
movie that they can rewind and watch again. Nor is it a video game where
they get to die and return again and again until they get perfect score."
- Some students placed mementos near the location where
he died a popular hangout spot including flowers, poems and a hockey
puck with the logo of his favourite team.
- "People used to throw him in garbage cans and leave
him for over two hours and he used to do nothing. He used to still consider
them friends and I don't think he deserved what he got," said one
boy who knew him.
- Another student said his death should serve as a wake-up
call to people who bully others. "I hope it's an eye-opener that you
shouldn't be picking on people," she said.
- Written by CBC News Online Staff http://cbc.ca/bios.html