- ADDIS ABABA (Reuters)
- Ethiopian doctors have removed more than 200 nails swallowed by a mentally
ill patient after the man complained of stomach pains, his surgeon said
- Medics spent more than an hour extracting 26 ounces of
items from Gezahenge Debebe's stomach after an X-ray revealed it was crammed
with assorted pieces of metal.
- ``The metallic objects removed from the patient included
222 rusty nails, keys and coins,'' Assefa Woldu, surgeon at the Tibebe
private hospital, told reporters.
- Woldu said 40-year-old Debebe was thought to have eaten
the items during his 20 years as a mental patient.
- He said Debebe was recovering well after the operation,
which was conducted over the weekend.