- Revealing Mario Lanza
By Robert Hampton
- Note - Reverse Speech is the profound
discovery of Australian-born researcher David John Oates which reveals
that while humans are speaking forward to each other, they are simultaneously
speaking in reverse. Reverse Speech is created by the subconscious mind
and reflects that individual's genuine inner truth as he or she knows it.
Reversals occur in English or any native language being used, and occur
on average once every 5-10 seconds. They are clearly recognizable when
a person's forward speech is recorded and then played backwards.
- Reversals always relate either contextually
or metaphorically to the subject being discussed in the forward speech.
Reversals are NOT simply created by forward spoken words played backwards,
but are formed by the sounds the voice makes during forward speech. For
a more detailed explanation of this revolutionary discovery, and over 3,500
recorded examples of reverse speech that you can listen to online, please
- Recently, I played a home tape recording
of Mario during one of my programs. Bob Hampton recorded the broadcast
and then did Reverse Speech of Mario's forward statements. Here is what
Bob found. - Jeff
- I couldn't help but jump at the chance.
Jeff was playing a segment of a tape on his 12-18-98 radio program that
the great Mario Lanza recorded at home sometime in the very early 1950's
on his first home tape recorder.
- I recorded the segment of the program
of Mario's speaking from Jeff's RealAudio Archives accessible through his
sightings.com website. I then began doing reverse speech analysis of what
Mario was saying...and the very first clear reversal I found was fascinating.
- These were some of the first words spoken
by the great singer as he tried to figure out how to use the tape recorder.
- Forward, Mario says:
- "How close to be to the mike? That's
what I don't know."
- And backwards he says:
- "I know John Oates there."
- My gosh! John Oates?! Our David John
Oates?? I was so excited on this cold Michigan Saturday afternoon, I was
beside myself. Who could I tell about this? David, of course! So, I called
David on his cell phone, interrupting him in the middle of a presentation
in Phoenix, Arizona.
- "Hello, Bob? Is that you? said the
voice on the other end of the phone.
- "Yes, David, uhh... I think I just
interrupted you, didn't I?"...sensing 'Mr. Reverse Speech' was rather
busy at the moment of my call.
- He replied, "Well, I'm in the middle
of a presentation in Phoenix, mate. Are you ok?"
- Well, I greatly appreciated David's concern,
and said, "Yeah, I'm ok, but I am doing a reversal on a Mario Lanza
home tape from the 1950's... and... uhh.. David, you won't believe what
I heard on the very first reversal!"
- "What, Bob?"
- "Well, Mario is apparently trying
to figure out how to use the recording and forward he says something like,
'How close to be to the mike? That's what I don't know.', and backwards
he says, 'I know John Oates there.!!'"
- "Oh yeah, Frank Sinatra mentions
me in his song 'New York, New York'. He says 'David John Oates' in reverse!
Yeah, I seem to be in the universal collective consciousness, Bob!"
(The universal consciousness has no time or space limitations and reverse
speech commonly reflects this mind-boggling fact).
- "Wow...", I replied.
- As we ended the short, but validating
conversation, I said to myself, "Wait till Jeff hears this!"
- So, I emailed Jeff first thing the following
week. I asked if Terry Robinson, whom he had interviewed on his SIGHTINGS
radio show when he played the tape excerpt, and who was Mario's closest
friend, was aware if Mr. Lanza knew a person by the name of 'John Oates'
in his life? Jeff said he didn't know and would ask Terry.
- (Time for a side-bar here. Though David
is usually referred to as 'Oates', or 'David John Oates' in reversals...
another famous talk show host said 'John Oates' in a reversal in his famous
'I'm leaving radio' announcement... so there is precedent for David being
referred to as 'John Oates' in reverse speech.)
- Now this brings us to the other reversals
I found in Mario's home tape...potentially very sad reversals from one
who, by most accounts, died of a broken spirit.
- In speaking with his daughter, Colleen,
on this home tape, you can hear the obvious love and affection he has for
her... but in reverse, a sad picture of how the man's soul was crying out
for peace seems to emerge.
- As he talks to baby Colleen during the
tape, he asks her the universal parent-to-child question: "How much
do love me?" She answers, "A million!"
- In his fatherly, kidding way, he responds:
- "What? That's all you love me?"
- But backwards, in reverse, he says:
- "Probably, know Lazarus now."
- Then,forward, he says:
- "You mean to tell me..."
- and backwards he says:
- "Let me in Lazarus... me weep."
- That's twice he uses the metaphor "Lazarus"!
- What might that mean?
- Lazarus, not an uncommon metaphor in
reverse speech analysis, seems to mean "reborn... coming into the
- Was Mario's soul already expressing a
great need to find peace, refuge, or light in the magic and love of his
first born child? When he looks at her and talks to her, is he longing
for the innocenct happy, Golden Days of childhood? To be free of the great
torment that is already to much a part of his life?
- Even though he, of course, knew his daughter
loved him, was Mario weeping inside because so much of his world was already
threatening to collapse in on him as it related to his conflicts with the
studio (and possibly his turbulent domestic life?)
- Here are the clearest Mario reversals
in this particular tape....
- Forward: That's what I don't know.
- Reverse: I know John Oates there.
- Forward: What? That's all you love me?
- Reverse: Probably, know lazarus now.
- Forward: You mean to tell me...
- Reverse: Let me in lazarus...me weep.
- Forward: It will only take a second.
- Reverse: The guests are gettin' annoyed.
- Forward: Thank you, my public.
- Reverse: Our family in here.
- In case you feel like dismissing Reverse
Speech as being 'coincidence', or some kind of trick of the ear, I urge
you to go to www.reversespeech.com and listen to some of the thousands
of incredible reverse speech recordings. In each case, you'll hear the
forward speech segment and then the reversal contained within it...in three
speeds: normal, a bit slower, and the slowest. They are astonishing to
hear. Hope you can listen to some of them. You'll understand the significance
of Mario's reversals even more.
- Robert Hampton