- A Well-Regulated Militia
- From a Letter in July to Concealed Weapons Permit Holders
in Sioux County, Iowa, by Jim R. Schwiesow, County sheriff. Harper's magazine,
- Dear Concealed Weapons Permit Holder:
- These are troubling times. I personally believe that
the potential exists for some very trying, perhaps even catastrophic, events
to come to pass during the next few years, bringing about lawlessness of
a magnitude unprecedented in our memory. And I strongly suspect this may
happen within the next six to twelve months. One would have to be totally
deluded not to perceive the depravity present in our nation today.
- If a catastrophe actually does occur, we will certainly
see the collapse of many state and federal agencies, and the fact is, the
sheriff's office may need your help. We must be able to rely upon people
who are solid, decent-of-character and law-abiding. As a holder of a permit
to carry concealed weapons, you have been certified as morally and psychologically
fit, and I have faith in your integrity.
- I propose to put together a stand-by force composed solely
of concealed weapon permit holders. This would be strictly a volunteer
pool of trustworthy people that I could summon in dire times. I urge you
to give serious consideration to this call. I have provided, with this
letter, a short form of acceptance.
- Sadly and tragically, this nation has renounced the Christian
principles upon which it was founded. Be not deceived, good friends. God
will not be mocked. If He withholds His presence from this nation and leaves
us to our own devices, we are indeed in deep trouble. And I believe that
time is at hand.