- On January 5, Obama held a first ever administration
Pentagon news conference. Its thinly veiled hawkishness explained his 2012
- Its Asia/Pacific region policy challenges China and Russia.
Its Middle East presence stresses confrontation and belligerency. Globally
it plans relying increasingly on naval and air power. It also stresses
destabilization, confrontation, and war when other methods don't turn independent
states into client ones.
- He stressed counterbalancing China and Iran. Undeclared
strategy includes confrontation and belligerency. Mindful of Republican
opposition to defense cuts, he said America will "avoid repeating
the mistakes of the past when our military was left ill-prepared for the
future. As commander-in-chief, I will not let that happen again. Not on
- Claiming nuclear weapons proliferation, he pointed fingers
at Iran. In response, he said "(w)e're going to stay vigilant.....In
addition, investments in counterterrorism, intelligence, and cyberwarfare"
will be emphasized.
- He told reporters that America's "military will
be leaner, but the world must know - the United States is going to maintain
our military superiority with armed forces that are agile, flexible and
ready for the full range of contingencies and threats."
- He effectively declared war against rivals. He duplicitously
called America "the greatest force for freedom and security that the
world has ever known."
- In fact, it's an out-of-control menace facing eroding
influence because growing numbers of countries are tired of being bullied.
- In a recent article, Immanuel Wallerstein headlined,
"The United States versus Everybody," saying:
- America once had many friends. "These days, it seems
to have nothing but adversaries, of all political colorations." Moreover,
it's less effective confronting them. Saying no to America's getting more
- In November and December, China, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia,
Israel, Iran, Germany and Latin America showed assertiveness.
- Pakistan recognizes its toxic relationship with Washington.
Perhaps an Afghan border incident killing 24 of its soldiers and injuring
13 others was the last straw. General Athar Abbas called the attack "unprovoked
and indiscriminate." America's explanation was rejected.
- China's uneasy about Washington escalating an Asia/Pacific
arms race and seeking anti-Beijing partners to enhance its regional strength.
Key is establishing military superiority over vital shipping lanes, regional
waters, and area resources.
- China's growth depends on accessing greater amounts,
especially oil and gas. Getting them puts them in direct competition with
America wanting unchallenged global control.
- Its muscle flexing makes more enemies than friends. Nations
are more assertive saying no and getting away with it. As America's belligerence
grows, expect greater disapproval to show up in bilateral relations.
- Nonetheless, Obama stressed "America's historic
investments in our military, our troops and their capabilities...."
- He falsely claimed war with Iraq ended when, in fact,
thousands of forces remain. Others were repositioned nearby. Additional
numbers will join them, and armies of private paramilitaries infest the
- He also lied claiming "important progress"
in Afghanistan, and that partnered with allies, America is "protect(ing)
the Libyan people...."
- Afghanistan's now America's longest war. Pentagon officials
long ago admitted it's lost, but conflict continues daily. Libya wasn't
liberated. It was willfully, maliciously and lawlessly destroyed. So were
tens of thousands of lives and futures for millions wanting Jamahiriya
- "Now, we're turning the page on a decade of war,"
said Obama. Unexplained was America's longstanding Iran, Syria, Lebanon
and North Sudan regime change project through sanctions, insurgencies,
destabilization by other means, or war if other methods fail.
- "In short, we've succeeded in defending our nation,
taking the fight to our enemies, reducing the number of Americans serving
in harm's way, and restoring America's global leadership. That makes us
safer and it makes us stronger."
- In fact, Washington's only enemies are intentionally
made. America's inherently unsafe. US citizens can be indefinitely detained
on baseless terrorist charges. Others can be targeted for assassination.
Constitutional rights no longer apply, only presidential diktats.
- Bush II claimed "Unitary Executive" authority.
Chalmers Johnson called it a "ball-faced assertion of presidential
supremacy dressed up in legal mumbo jumbo." Obama's even more out-of-control.
- As a result, OWS activists believe the only solution
is world revolution. Growing protests reflect a nationwide cross-polination
for a new nation.
- America's global leadership is eroding. Waring against
the entire Middle East may destroy it. Putting a brave face on imperial
arrogance no longer works.
- Obama's a serial liar. He's also a global threat. Millions
worldwide know it. Angry Americans are catching on.
- Hopefully, today's numbers will surge to millions in
time to save humanity before he destroys it. There's not a moment to lose.
- Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago and can be reached at
- Also visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com and
listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive
Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network Thursdays at 10AM US Central
time and Saturdays and Sundays at noon. All programs are archived for easy