- Either way he became a legend in his own time. Thursday
on the Progressive Radio News Hour, James Petras reported information he
received from a reliable Argentina source saying he's dead.
- If so, he explained, he'll be Africa's greatest martyr
since Congo's Patrice Lumumba. After leading its independence struggle
successfully in June 1960, a CIA coup ousted him 10 weeks later.
- Joseph Mobutu replaced him, renaming the country Zaire.
Looting billions until his 1997 removal, he ran it like a kleptocracy.
- January 17, 2011 marked the 50th anniversary of Lumumba's
late night firing squad assassination. Belgium and Washington ordered it.
At issue was his fierce opposition to Western colonialism. It cost him
- He and two associates, Maurice Mpolo and Joseph Okito,
were tied to trees and murdered in cold blood. To escape culpability, Belgium
exhumed them, dismembered, and dissolved their body parts in acid.
- Belgium ruled Congo until 1960. Until his 1909 death,
King Leopold II ran it like his private plantation. In his book, "King
Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa,"
Adam Hochschild wrote:
- "....(U)nlike other great predators of history from
Genghis Khan to the Spanish conquistadors, King Leopold II never saw a
drop of blood spilt in anger. He never set foot in the Congo. There is
something very modern about that, too, as there is about the bomber pilot
in the stratosphere, above the clouds, who never hears screams or sees
shattered homes or torn flesh."
- In his journey into the "Heart of Darkness,"
Joseph Conrad wrote:
- "(O)ne comes to hate those savages....hate them
to death....Exterminate all the brutes!" Based on what he saw in Congo,
he called it "the vilest scramble for loot that ever disfigured the
history of human conscience."
- He held all Europe responsible. Fifty years ago, Lumumba
was a latter day victim. Dead or alive, Gaddafi's his modern day equivalent.
If alive, he's a living legend. If not, he's bigger than life, a symbol
of imperial resistance, inspiring millions of Libyans to keep struggling
- Western media, Al Jazeera and other sources reported
his death. On October 20, New York Times writers Kareen Fahim and Rick
Gladstone headlined, "Qaddafi Is Dead, Libyan Officials Say,"
- Al Jazeera and other media showed a corpse said to be
Gaddafi. Unidentifiable it could be anyone. A circulating video claims
to show his capture. It's so jumbled, it's impossible to tell. Al Jazeera,
Western media, and NATO repeatedly lied throughout the conflict. Nothing
they report is credible.
- Reliable independent sources will have to confirm whether
Gaddafi's alive or dead. Past reports about Gaddafi sons dead or captured
proved false when they turned up safe and alive.
- "Libyans rejoiced as news of his death spread,"
wrote The Times, "as residents poured into the streets to celebrate."
- Fact check
- Well over 90% of Libyans support Gaddafi. Some polls
suggest up to 97%. NATO, puppet Transitional National Council (TNC) leaders,
and rebel cutthroats are reviled.
- Why else would Jamahiriya loyalists contest NATO's ferocity
courageously for seven months. They want to live free and won't quit. Alive,
Gaddafi leads them inspirationally. Martyred for a just cause even more
- Conflicting reports suggest, but don't confirm, Gaddafi's
death. Xinhuanet.com headlined, "NATO launches air raids in Sirte
on Thursday: spokesman," saying:
- In early morning, two military vehicles were struck "maneuvering
in the vicinity of Sirte," according to NATO.
- It couldn't confirm if Gaddafi was in one. A TNC commander
claimed he was killed trying to flee Sirte. NATO didn't confirm if he's
dead or captured.
- In Tripoli for a staged photo-op, Hillary Clinton said,
"We hope (Gaddafi) will be captured or killed soon."
- A NATO official told Xinhua it's for TNC officials to
confirm Gaddafi's status, "not the military alliance."
- NATO "repeatedly said (he's) not a target of its
campaign in Libya, which aims to protect civilians."
- For months, NATO ravaged Libya and massacred tens of
thousands. Some protection!
- Xinhua also said TNC spokesman Mahmoud Shamman couldn't
confirm reports of Gaddafi's capture or death.
- Moreover, State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland
told Xinhua that Washington "cannot confirm at this time" news
- In addition, NATO press releases say nothing. By mid-evening
October 20, a disingenuous statement said:
- "After 42 years, Colonel Qadhafi's rule of fear
has finally come to an end. Libya can draw a line under a long dark chapter
in its history and turn over a new page. Now the people of Libya can truly
decide their own future."
- "NATO and our partners have successfully implemented
the historic mandate of the United Nations to protect the people of Libya.
We will terminate our mission in coordination with the United Nations and
the National Transitional Council."
- NATO lied. The struggle to free Libya continues. Libya's
"dark chapter" began when NATO's killing machine arrived. Jamahiriya
loyalists won't ever quit until they're free.
- On October 20, Mathaba.net headlined, "Rumours of
Muammar Qaddafi Spread by NTC for Hillary Clinton," saying:
- NATO, imperial Washington, Western media, Al Jazeera,
Al-Arabia, and other sources first claimed Gaddafi was captured, then reported
- "Green Committees have confirmed that the leader
is alive, and that the enemy is seeking to take advantage of his being
currently out of communications."
- They want "to please Hillary Clinton who barked
at her Arab slaves that she wants (Gaddafi) 'dead or alive.' "
- Reliable analysts told Mathaba that reports of his death
hope to demoralize Libyan resistance. They also want to elicit Gaddafi's
response to pinpoint his location.
- "The Secretary-General of the International People's
Conference Organization told Mathaba that (another aim is) to perpetuate
the myth that the NTC controls all of Libya," not the Jamahiriya.
- They can't declare a new government and secure billions
of dollars in stolen Libyan wealth until the country's pacified, even if
they have to fake it.
- Libya's Jamahiriya "remains the only legitimate
government because it rests squarely upon the Libyan people" who support
- Mathaba and NSNBC repeatedly said NATO desperately needs
a victory. So do major media scoundrels caught red-handed reporting lies.
Accounts of Gaddafi's death may or may not be their latest.
- Responding once to reports of his death, Mark Twain once
said in more detail that "Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated."
- Maybe Gaddafi will say it soon about himself. Further
updates will report whatever else is known.
- A Final Comment
- With reliable Libyan sources, https://twitter.com/#!/SomaliaSupport
provides a running account of events in Libya.
- Diana tweeted:
- "Today in Bani Walid were killed 160 rats (rebels)
and 270 wounded. The rats in Sirte raised the white flag. Hard losses of
rats in Sirte."
- TNC officials, Western media scoundrels and Al Jazeera
falsified reports about rebels controlling Sirte.
- SomaliaSupport2 reported: "Two NATO French rats
were killed in Abu Salime. One of them was a member of NATO HQ. Confirmed."
- Diana: "Victory or martyrdom. There is no third
- SomaliaSupport: "My dear brother, this is a fight
not only for Libya but the whole mankind. The people must know that fact."
- Diana: "From October 1, 2011 till now, there is
a massive deratization by Green broom. About 10,000 rates have been killed
- This link (http://counterpsyops.com/) contains a message
Gaddafi reportedly recorded today, including fake images. Translated it
- "Thank you for all who called to see how I am and
ask about me. I am fine and live somewhere no one can find me. I live in
every one's heart. If you kill my body you can't kill my soul which lives
in every Libyan. The long life for the martyr and the bad life for all
who betray their country."
- NATO claims it concluded its operations successfully.
Believe nothing its spokespeople, political Washington or media scoundrels
- Believe your instincts and information from reliable
independent web sites and other sources.
- The struggle to free Libya continues.
- Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago and can be reached at
- Also visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com and
listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive
Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network Thursdays at 10AM US Central
time and Saturdays and Sundays at noon. All programs are archived for easy