- NATO, Washington, Western media, Qatar-controlled Al
Jazeera, Saudi-controlled Al Arabia, UK-controlled BBC, and other mainstream
sources reported his death. More on that below.
- On October 20, Mathaba.net disputed official accounts,
- "Green Committees have confirmed that the leader
is alive, and that the enemy is seeking to take advantage of his being
currently out of communications."
- On October 21, Mathaba headlined, "Mainstream Media:
'Gaddafi Captured' - 'Gaddafi Dead;' But Yet Again No Proof Provided,"
- After its fake Tripoli liberation report was exposed,
it was cautious about Gaddafi's reported death in one report, saying:
- "NATO and the US state department said it cannot
confirm any reports. Meanwhile in Benghazi, crowds gathered in the streets
to start celebrating the reports of Gaddafi's death."
- Nonetheless, other accounts headlined:
- "Muammar Gaddafi killed as Sirte falls"
- "Accounts emerge of Gaddafi's final moments"
- "Footage shows Gaddafi's body"
- "Libyans celebrate Gaddafi's death"
- Fact check
- Jamahiriya loyalists control most parts of major Libyan
cities, including Tripoli, Benghazi, Misrata, Bani Walid, and Sirte, though
territory shifts back and forth.
- Celebratory video footage showed rebel mercenaries, not
Libyan patriots loyal to Gaddafi. Well over 90% of Libyans support him.
- Images of Gaddafi's alleged body are indecisive, jumbled,
and unclear. Could be anyone.
- Saudi Arabia-controlled Al Arabia reports propaganda,
not real news and information. It "seems to confirm Gaddafi's dead,
as if they themselves saw (him) captured" and killed.
- Its reports even said he "was found hiding (in)
a hole and begg(ed) rebels not to shoot him."
- Recall unconfirmed similar reports about Saddam. "This
is totally false and is aimed at undermining Gaddafi's revolutionary image!
They want people to be disappointed by this coward(ly) attitude and to
reject any feeling they had for him...."
- Gaddafi's no coward. He could have cut a deal months
ago like other former government officials who sold out for big bribes.
He refused, stood his ground, and if alive, still does, despite large parts
of Libya ravaged, tens of thousands murdered, many more injured, and unknown
numbers now homeless, destitute refugees.
- Reports of Gaddafi's death indeed may be fabricated.
Recall earlier ones claiming his son Khamis was dead. Each time, he turned
up alive. His sons Saif Al Islam and Moatassem were reported abducted and/or
killed when, in fact, they were alive and free.
- Gaddafi spokesman Moussa Ibrahim was falsely reported
captured while being interviewed live on air.
- Bin Laden's reported assassination was fabricated. In
December 2001, he died of likely kidney failure. All subsequent videos
and audios were fake.
- Official and major media reports lack credibility. Believe
only reliable independent accounts. Some claim Gaddafi's alive. Hopefully
others will confirm it. Putting this story to bed depends on their verifiable
- On October 20, NATO waited until evening to announce
anything. Saying Gaddafi's "rule of fear has finally come to an end,"
it stopped short of definitively confirming his death. Why not if they
- Perhaps they fear he'll show up and discredit them. It
wouldn't be the first time. Last summer, he was bogusly reported killed.
A fabricated image was shown. Perhaps again now.
- "Let's wait and see if (current) information about
his death is confirmed or not. And I don't mean by (NATO, Washington, or)
Western media! But by Libyan Resistance sources!"
- On October 20, Algeria-ISP headlined, "Libya - Only
the spokesman Ibrahim Moussa is aware of the state of Gaddafi," saying:
- "After an unprecedented campaign of misinformation
by Al Jazeera and Al Arabia, (as well as major) media worldwide, we announced"
Gaddafi's death "and death of his son" Moatassem.
- However, Libyan loyalists provided no confirmation.
- "No confirmation from....Moussa."
- "No confirmation of the journalist and Dr. Hamza
- "No confirmation of the journalist and Dr. Youcef
- A Libyan source believes Gaddafi's still alive. Major
media video images were "a farce invented biensur by Western intelligence
agencies to make a great cocktail of shit (excuse us for this word) to
show the world that the war is over...."
- A same day Algeria ISP report headlined, "The Libyan
leader is still alive and he said TOZ FI CNT/NATO," saying:
- "....Gaddafi is in excellent health and has an excellent
moral." His alleged capture "is simply a lie spewed by the nth
CNT/NATO....broadcast through the media lies.."
- Its purpose is to weaken and demoralize brave resistance
- "The Libyan leader is still alive and still determined
to cleanse the country of these traitors and mercenaries..."
- Another October 20 Algeria ISP report headlined, "Libya
- CNT/NATO/ELJAZEERA/ELARABIYA announce three lies: The death of Gaddafi,
son Moatassem and his defense minister," saying:
- "Arab media reported or lies vomited three lies
in one day. This is the historic day (of) lies....The Libyan people are
not fooled and free people around the world know..."
- "The Libyan leader and his son are....well-protected
against traitors and mercenaries...."
- "The Libyan leader lives in the heart and body of
any Libyan who wants to free his country from the clutches of traitors
- On October 21, NSNBC noted how media manipulators condition
readers and viewers to accept "premeditated murders as acts of humanity."
- Human Rights Organizations corrupted by power elite funding
play important roles in feeding the narrative about "targeted governments
or heads of state as villains."
- It's irrelevant that Libya had "the most direct
and participatory form of democracy...." Gaddafi's role was mostly
- So-called revolutionaries are led by former regime traitors
bribed to sell out and Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG) Al Qaeda elements.
- Key NATO partners America, Britain and France want total
control of Africa. The African Union "is financially dependent on"
EU countries. France "control(s the economies and finance of) eight
African CFA nations."
- Gaddafi's plan to establish a Pan-African currency represented
an anti-colonialist threat and reason enough to topple him.
- Under a corrupted Secretary-General, UN member states
largely "degenerated into an international (cartel lending) legitimacy"
to imperial wars by failing to enforce their own Charter.
- In Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya alone, millions of deaths
resulted. Millions more are occupied, oppressed and impoverished. America
plays the lead role. Its first ever Black President is responsible for
murdering "tens of thousands of Black African" civilians wanting
only to live free in peace.
- Whether or not Gaddafi's alive or dead, his political
leadership and governing method motivate "hundreds of thousands"
to replicate them. Long ago, so-called Western civilization lost all credibility,
especially America's corrupted model.
- Major Media Scoundrels Hail Gaddafi's "Death"
- A Wall Street Journal op-ed headlined, "After Gadhafi's
- "Grotesque political careers usually end grotesquely,
and (Gaddafi's) end proved to be no exception....For 42 years, (his) bizarre
rule terrorized his people....For the better part of that era, (he) was
also a global menace. Only (bin Laden) killed more noncombatant Americans
and Europeans through acts of terror."
- Fact check
- Well over 90% of Libyans support Gaddafi, and why not!
He provided free healthcare, education, housing assistance, electricity
and water, as well as practically free gasoline and much more.
- Americans and Europeans would welcome such "bizarre"
rule. A global menace? Libyans, regional neighbors, and independent analysts
- Bin Laden was a CIA creation, used strategically as both
asset and enemy. Neither he or Gaddafi killed Americans. Claiming it doesn't
mean it's so. Murdoch Journal editorials and op-eds are as disreputable
as Fox News commentaries reporting everything but the truth.
- On October 20, New York Times writer Neil MacFarquhar
headlined, "An Erratic Leader, Brutal and Defiant to the End,"
- "....(T)he erratic, provocative dictator who ruled
Libya for 42 years, crushing opponents at home while cultivating the wardrobe
and looks befitting an aging rock star, met a violent and vengeful death
Thursday in the hands of the Libyan forces that drove him from power."
- Fact check
- Instead of reporting accurately and dispassionately,
MacFarquhar resorted to pejoratives, discrediting himself in the process.
- The rest of his article taunted and besmirched Gaddafi
with comments like:
- "By the time he was done, Libya had no parliament,
no unified military command, no political parties, no unions, no civil
society and non nongovernmental organizations. His ministries were hollow,
with the notable exception of the state oil company."
- Fact check
- After seven months of NATO terror bombing and rebel mercenary
atrocities, much of Libya is ravaged. A year ago it functioned effectively
and efficiently in peace. A humanitarian crisis didn't exist until NATO
- At best, it'll be many years before normality returns.
Achieving it depends on preventing tyrannical NATO colonization, exploitation
and rule. Libyans won't quit trying until they're free.
- An October 20 Times editorial headlined, "Colonel
Qaddafi's End," saying:
- Gaddafi "died as he lived - violently. We sympathize
with the Libyans who suffered for so long at the hands of the ruthless
dictator and are glad he can no longer hurt them."
- Transitional National Council (TNC) leaders "promised
to build a democracy in a country that has never had one."
- "This was always the Libyan people's fight. But
the United States and Europe were also victims of Qaddafi's terrorism."
Now they can help build "a stable and peaceful democracy."
- Fact check
- Throughout the conflict, New York Times correspondents,
commentators, and editorial writers fabricated reports about Libya, Gaddafi,
and NATO's savage war of aggression against a nonbelligerent country.
- With other major media scoundrels, they cheerled Libya's
ravaging. They substituted managed new and information for truth and accuracy.
They spread false rumors, misinformation, and brazen lies.
- They manipulated public opinion, supported militarism
and imperial lawlessness, and remain comfortable with America and NATO
partners acting as judge, jury and executioner.
- Media critic AJ Liebling (1904 - 1963) once said, "People
everywhere confuse what they read in the newspapers with news."
- Maybe he had The New York Times in mind.
- An October 20 Washington Post editorial headlined, "
For post-Gaddafi Libya, 'now the hard part begins,' " saying:
- Gaddafi's "death....prompted jubilation in Tripoli
and relief in Western capitals on Thursday.... (It) reduces the chance
of a prolonged insurgency against Libya's new authorities, who have pledged
to create a liberal democracy and hold elections in eight months."
- Fact check
- Libyan loyalists vow to continue their liberating struggle
and resist occupation, colonization and exploitation. Western capitals
know it and aren't celebrating.
- America, Britain and France plan puppet rule. They won't
tolerate free elections and democracy. They have none in their own countries,
dominated by duopoly power serving privileged, not popular interests.
- "Civil society groups, free media and political
parties have begun to form in the eastern half of the country, which has
been free since last winter."
- Fact check
- Loyalists control most of Libya. Colonizers never allow
media freedom and legitimate multi-party formations. Libyans remain at
war to free themselves from a predatory monster they won't tolerate.
- "Libya's stabilization under a democratic government
could help tip the broader wave of change in the Arab Middle East toward
those favoring freedom."
- Fact check
- America's new Middle East project plans regional dominance
across North Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia to Russia's borders.
Democratic freedom doesn't exist in its vocabulary and never did.
- Like Iraqis, Afghans, Palestinians, and other oppressed
people, Libyans know they're in for a long liberation struggle. Courageous
and committed, they won't quit until free.
- A Final Comment
- After watching video footage of Gaddafi's alleged assassination,
a viewer named Tim Kelly made this comment:
- "I had already watched this videoobservationsline
at neck where mask ends ? change of skin tone there too, no marks on upper
bodytinges of grey at sides of hair in contrast with the still that was
published where all hair blackmust admit, it is a great mask, silicon hollywood
style is my guessplus from other footage, 1) no blood on trousers while
reports say shot in both legs 2) wounds to face shortly after truck loading,
then when on ground and turned over, no facial wounds at all, naked clean,
no bloodso what ? the rebels strip and wash him ? If this were real there
is no doubt the scum would all be having a bash, if not beheading, whereas
instead it's just a whole lot of jostlingyou only have to see what atrocities
have been comitted to know that if it were real it would be hard to identify
- Like this writer and other independent analysts, Kelly's
skeptical of Gaddafi's reported capture and assassination.
- Wait for independent confirmations one way or other before
deciding. If he's alive, he may show up on Syria's Arrai TV.
- He's done it before prerecorded for his safety and may
again. If so, his comments will confirm if made before or after October
20. Hopefully, he'll have the final say.
- Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago and can be reached at
- Also visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com and
listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive
Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network Thursdays at 10AM US Central
time and Saturdays and Sundays at noon. All programs are archived for easy