- Replicating Libya's model, Western generated uprisings
began in March. Since then, Syria's been ravaged by violence. Hundreds
have been killed, many more injured.
- Civilians and state security forces have been affected.
Conflict rages daily. Casualties mount. Regime change is planned to establish
another US client state.
- At issue Washington's New Middle East agenda. One country
at a time is ravaged toward achieving America's goal of unchallenged regional
dominance to Russia's borders.
- Constructive chaos aims to redraw regional lines according
to US/Israeli/NATO geopolitical goals. All of it's been carefully planned,
shifting from one target to the next.
- Post-9/11, first Afghanistan in 2001, then Iraq, Libya,
and now Syria.
- Previous articles mentioned General Wesley Clark's book
titled, "Winning Modern Wars." In it he said Pentagon sources
told him shortly after 9/11 that war plans were being prepared against
Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Somalia, Sudan and Libya. Months earlier, they
were finalized against Afghanistan.
- Clark added:
- "And what about the real sources of terrorists -
US allies in the region like Egypt, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia? Wasn't
it repressive policies of the first, and the corruption and poverty of
the second, that were generating many of the angry young men who became
terrorists? And what of the radical ideology and direct funding spewing
from Saudi Arabia?"
- "It seemed that we were being taken into a strategy
more likely to make us the enemy - encouraging what could look like a 'clash
of civilizations' - not a good strategy for winning the war on terror."
- Broadcast on FORA TV on October 3, 2007, Clark said America
underwent a "policy coup" post-9/11. Hard-liners co-opted power
with no public debate or acknowledgement.
- Ten days after 9/11, he visited Defense Secretary Rumsfeld
at the Pentagon. "No one will tell us where or when to bomb",
he said. Military commanders explained Iraq would be attacked.
- "I walked out of there pretty upset," said
Clark. On a second visit, he was told plans were to "destroy the governments
in" the above named countries.
- In addition, Pakistan and others are targeted. US Special
Forces death squads operate covertly in over 120 countries. So do CIA,
Mossad and MI6 operatives. No one anywhere is safe, including US citizens
at home or abroad. Everyone is fair game extrajudicially. So are independent
- America's media cheerlead supportively. Imperial goals
alone matter, not truth, full disclosure, democratic values or rule of
- Repeatedly Iran's been pilloried. Now it's Syria's turn.
Whatever Washington says is red meat to jump on. Recent New York Times
and Washington Post editorials are typical.
- On November 16, a New York Times editorial headlined,
"The Killing in Syria Goes On," saying:
- "The brutal crackdown on pro-democracy protesters
by President Bashar al-Assad of Syria has left more than 3,500 people dead.
International pressure for his removal is finally building - but not fast
- Fact check
- As explained above, Libya's model is being replicated.
Assad didn't instigate violence. He responded to externally generated insurgents,
largely made up of Al Qaeda elements.
- Like Libya's rebel rats, they were recruited, armed and
trained. Covert Special Forces and intelligence operatives perhaps lead
them. At issue is making Syria another US client state, and eliminating
another Israeli rival for regional dominance.
- Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Lebanon's Hariri March
8 alliance, and Israel are involved. Heavy weapons were brought in, including
shoulder-borne rockets, anti-tank weapons, machine guns, and others.
- Nothing about what's ongoing is homegrown. Despite legitimate
social, economic and political grievances, most Syrians back Assad. Mass
rallies show it.
- Usually when disruptive forces target sitting governments,
people rally supportively behind it. Libyans did it for Gaddafi and still
do. Syrians have done it repeatedly despite the regime's authoritarian
- "The Arab League....finally (acted). On Saturday,
it gave Damascus until Wednesday to end the violence or have its membership
suspended. The killing has worsened." Giving Assad a three-day reprieve,
League members "offer(ed) to send monitors to determine if the government
was abiding by a league-brokered peace plan to end the crackdown."
- "He isn't. Another three days of enabling will only
ensure that more Syrians will die. The League needs (to) suspend Syria
(and) impose muscular penalties for Assad's brutality."
- Fact check
- League members include mostly pro-Western despots. Supporting
imperial lawlessness, they condoned (and for some participated in) Libya's
ravaging, including massacres too great to ignore.
- They're silent on NATO's plan to colonize, occupy and
plunder another Arab State, as well as ongoing atrocities in Bahrain, Yemen,
Somalia, Palestine, elsewhere in the region, and internally against their
- Since March, they supported Western-backed anti-Syrian
insurgents. Regional instability followed. Regime change is planned, including
perhaps war and occupation.
- Washington wants conflict, not peace. Syria was peaceful
until America and regional allies intervened. Arab League figures broker
nothing. They do what they're told and obey.
- Rogue League regimes govern oppressively. Despite being
authoritarian, Syria's the only remaining independent, anti-imperial, secular
Arab state. Washington wants it replaced by pro-Western extremist elements,
similar to Libya's model.
- "....Russia and China have blocked the United Nations
Security Council from imposing sanctions or even issuing a full-throated
condemnation of Mr. Assad's bloody reign....The Council should refer Mr.
Assad and his henchmen to the International Criminal Court for prosecution
for crimes against humanity."
- Fact check
- Russia and China want no repeat of UN Resolution 1973.
Imposing a no-fly zone, in fact, declared war. Wisely, they'll block resolutions
- Established by the Rome Statute of the International
Criminal Court on July 1, 2002, it's mandated to prosecute individuals
for genocide and aggression, as well as crimes of war and against humanity.
- Instead, it functions solely as an imperial tool, targeting
Western-designated states. At the same time, it ignores US, NATO and Israeli
crimes of war and humanity. As a result, they act with impunity because
no international body, court, or world leader alliance holds them accountable.
- Chief prosecutor Jose Luis Moreno-Ocampo follows Washington's
orders. At its behest, Gaddafi, his son Saif al-Islam, and brother-in-law/intelligence
chief, Abdullah Al-Sanousi unfairly faced "charges of orchestrating
systematic attacks against civilians (amounting to) crimes against humanity."
- Expect Abbas and close associates to be charged, not
Western leaders behind Syria's insurgency. Like Libya, violence didn't
erupt until Washington and imperial partners showed up lawlessly. Planned
months ahead, it now rages out of control.
- In his newest book, Michael Parenti defined "The
Face of Imperialism" as:
- "the process whereby the dominant investor interests
in one country bring to bear military and financial power upon another
in order to expropriate the land, labor, capital, natural resources, commerce,
and markets of that other country."
- "There are real material interests at stake, fortunes
to be made many times over. (Intervening) enrich(es) investors and keep(s)
the world safe for them."
- Moreover, whether democrats or despots, blaming victims
facilitates the process. Humanitarian intervention claimed for intervening
is cover for imperial designs. Ravaging the world one country at a time,
step one is making them charnel houses.
- Ravaged Libya will take years to rebuild. Its human toll
alone is one of history's great crimes. Is Syria next, then other countries
on NATO's target list?
- "Mr Assad has left no doubt that he is willing to
destroy his country to maintain his hold on power. His neighbors and all
civilized countries need to stand with the Syrian people, before it's too
- Fact check
- Full and accurate information and analysis isn't what
media scoundrels do. A previous article said they make pimps, prostitutes
and dope peddlers look good by comparison.
- The Washington Post: Matching New York Times Duplicity
- An October 15 editorial headlined, "Syria's Assad
regime is a threat to the US," saying:
- "The CARNAGE in Syria grinds on." Killings
occur daily. Assad's "crimes....are not confined to its own soil."
In mid-October, "the FBI arrested a Leesburgh man who has been charged
with conspiring to collect information on people protesting against the
Syrian government in Washington and elsewhere in the United States for
delivery to the regime's intelligence services."
- Fact check
- Mohamad Anas Haitham Soueid, a naturalized US citizen,
was charged. Accusing him of criminal activity is very suspect. Even if
he gathered information, doing so isn't criminal.
- His case perhaps is similar to the Cuban Five, victims
of US state terrorism. In September 1998, they were arrested on spurious
charges, including conspiracy to commit espionage, conspiracy to commit
murder, and other charges.
- They, in fact, were legally monitoring Miami-based, US
funded, extremist right-wing terror groups, planning violence against Cuba.
For decades, thousands of incidents occurred, including use of chemical
and biological weapons.
- Back home, the Five are national heros. In America, they're
imprisoned unjustly. Whether Soueid, in fact, engaged in similar activities
isn't known. Nonetheless, with full WP support, he'll be hung out to dry
- Charges against him "show that the Assad regime
poses a threat not only to people in Syria but to those in the United States
and other countries who support freedom."
- Fact check
- Assad, of course, threatens no one. Neither did Gaddafi.
Freedom is anathema to America. Democracy isn't tolerated at home or abroad.
- On November 2, a WP editorial headlined, "Can the
Arab League and Turkey stop the slaughter in Syria?" saying:
- "(T)he besieged people of Syria must look for relief
from their neighbors. (Perhaps) Ankara and the Arabs will turn up the pressure
on Mr. Assad."
- "The next question....is what the Arab League will
do when the killing continues. Suspending Syria's membership is one obvious
- No matter that doing so violates its constitutional provisions,
requiring a unanimous vote. Lebanon, Yemen and Syria voted "no."
- "The Arabs could also endorse international efforts
to protect the Syrian population, as they did in the case of Libya."
- Fact check
- Protection Washington-style means mass killing and destruction.
Apparently WP supports it. Why not? It backed NATO's ravaging of Libya
wholeheartedly, as well as Iraq, Afghanistan and other US imperial wars.
- On November 11, a WP editorial headlined, "Syria's
continuing slaughter pushes the US to act," saying:
- "What can be done to stop the slaughter?"
- "The United States and its allies, no less than
the Arab League, have yet to formulate a convincing answer. But we are
encouraged by....Assistant Secretary of State Jeffrey D. Feltman....correctly
describing 'the mafia-like Assad clique that has hijacked the Syrian state.'
- He also referred to Assad's "deliberate and bloody
- Feltman "laid out a US policy aimed at protecting
Syrian civilians, removing Mr. Assad from power and promoting a transition
- Fact check
- WP editors are "encouraged" that America plans
regime change, no matter the body count to achieve it. Instead of demanding
Washington call off its dogs, they support ravaging another independent
nonbelligerent state. It was peaceful until US-backed insurgents showed
- Now plagued by imported violence, WP editors urge Obama
officials "to undertake stronger measures" if current ones fall
- Sadly, this is what passes for journalism and opinion
in America. The Times and Post are America's most prominent broadsheets.
Their views influence others.
- Very possibly, more war and carnage is planned. Both
papers and other US media sources back it.
- No wonder America gets away with mass murder globally.
Expect more perhaps anytime.
- Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago and can be reached at
- Also visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com and
listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive
Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network Thursdays at 10AM US Central
time and Saturdays and Sundays at noon. All programs are archived for easy