- The story...
- SUBTITLE Sound Of Explosion Heard At, Fukushima Daiichi
Nuclear Plant - Kyodo News
- TOKYO -(Dow Jones) -- Tokyo Electric Power Co. (9501.TO)
said Tuesday that the sound of an explosion was heard at the Fukushima
Daiichi nuclear complex, but radiation levels haven't increased and no
injuries were reported, Kyodo News reported.
- The explosion was heard around 0530 GMT as wreckage was
being removed by remotely controlled heavy machinery on the southern side
of the No. 4 reactor building.
- Tepco said it was possible that a machine ruptured a
buried gas tank, causing the explosion, the report said.
- - By Tokyo Bureau, Dow Jones Newswires
- First, TEPCO gave the time of the explosion at ~05:30
GMT instead of providing the time in the local time zone. I can do that
calculation, but how many people can actually take a time in GMT and convert
it into a time in JST - it isn't even the same day. But OK, it turns
out to be about 2:30 in the afternoon if you believe TEPCO. I don't.
- First, I doubt there is an underground fuel tank next
to a nuclear reactor. Even if there were, ANY explosion would increase
radiation levels because radioactive particles are all over the place.
However, I have attached a photo of R4 in case someone can show me the
location and type of the underground fuel tank. Conclusion:
- The statement is not true.
- Secondly, I doubt that people are operating remote-controlled
heavy equipment without specific planned routes and copies of blueprints
of the facility overlaid on maps in front of them with specific GPS coordinates
FOR EXACTLY THE REASON THAT THEY DON'T DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT! Conclusion:
The statement is not true.
- Third: The 'live' feeds have been off for longer than
the time the indecent supposedly occurred. Yesterday it was supposedly
because heavy ground fog obscured the area. People are not operating heavy
tracked equipment around the R4 fuel pool in zero visibility - I was born
at night but it wasn't LAST night. Conclusion: Everything TEPCO says
- What DID happen? We'll have to wait for the picture
to come back on but the most likely scenario is that the R4 fuel pool collapsed
and the near-term clean-up effort has been set back to the year 2525.