- On October 6, thousands massed in Washington on the 10th
anniversary of America's illegal Afghan war against a nonbelligerent country.
- Years ago it was lost. Nonetheless, it continues without
end. The business of America is war, permanent wars, multiple ones. One
nation after another is plundered for wealth and power while homeland needs
- US duopoly power spurns human and civil rights, rule
of law principles, and democratic values. Long ago they were abandoned
to advance Washington's imperium globally.
- Allied with America's military/industrial profiteers,
Wall Street runs America. Political Washington serves them. Public needs
are increasingly shut out.
- The criminal class in Washington is bipartisan. Every
new administration and Congress exceed the worst of previous ones. America's
heading straight downhill.
- Political Washington is corrupted, broken, and unfixable.
Thomas Jefferson wrote in America's Declaration of Independence:
- "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving
their just powers from the consent of the governed, -- That whenever any
Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of
the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..."
- That time is now! Change never comes top down, only bottom
up by committed people demanding no less.
- Fed up Americans across the country want long denied
social justice. Slogans like "Banks Got Bailed Out! We Got Sold Out!"
are chanted. Occupy Together.org said "meetups" were established
in 761 cities and towns.
- They're heading everywhere, despite enormous obstacles
confronting them. Corporate money wants them co-opted. Corrupt union bosses
and political insiders are involved.
- Committed leaders city by city aren't evident. Neither
is focus on what matters most. Without it cosmetic changes only are possible.
- Issue one is money power in private hands to make more
of it. Political Washington gave bankers control for private enrichment.
Wall Street crooks took full advantage, transforming America into an unprecedented
money making racket.
- Working Americans got scammed. They've lost their savings,
jobs, homes and futures so privileged elites can get richer and more powerful.
- Transforming America depends on returning money power
to public hands, according to the Constitution's Article 1, Section 8,
giving people through Congress sole control.
- Not Goldman Sachs. Not JP MorganChase. Not Bank of America
or other Wall Street giants, running America like a wholly owned subsidiary.
Taking full advantage, they exploit people for profit, bribing public officials
to go along.
- They willingly grab all they can, getting more every
election cycle to serve power, not popular interests.
- They, crooked bankers and other corporate criminals transformed
America into a corrupted business-run sinkhole.
- Change depends on people power regaining what's lost.
It includes making the business of America social justice and peace, not
unbridled greed and war.
- On Thursday, thousands came to Washington for social
change. They also want imperial wars ended.
- Their October 2011.org site said "(j)oin us in Freedom
Plaza starting October 6. STOP THE MACHINE! Create a New World!"
- It's for everyone concerned about "injustice, militarism
and environmental destruction to join in ending concentrated corporate
power" and corrupted politicians serving America's super-rich alone.
- "Agitate! Agitate! Agitate!" urges wrongfully
imprisoned human rights lawyer Lynne Stewart until another world worth
struggling for is gotten!
- Now's the time for full throttle action. Rage against
the system until it is!
- On October 6, after massing in Freedom Plaza, thousands
marched past the US Treasury, White House and Commerce Department, shouting:
- "We Got Sold Out!" "We Want Jobs! We Want
- On the Progressive Radio News Hour, Ray McGovern said
he and other were heading to Washington to stay until their demands are
- In his September 18 Charlottesville, VA speech, he said
he "look(ed) forward to descending on our own 'Tahrir Square' at Freedom
Plaza in Washington....In the final analysis, we will be confronting the
'upper crust,' which my Irish grandmother described as 'a bunch of crumbs
held together by a lot of dough.' "
- In Washington and across America, fed up workers, students,
teachers, and others vow no longer to take it anymore. Hopefully that spirit
won't wane despite enormous corporate pressure to co-op it, when cold weather
arrives up north, or because cops keep beating up on people as crime boss
- So far, committed activists vow to stay the course. October
2011 Americans want "to take control of our country and our lives."
They'll occupy Freedom Plaza "and hold a People's Assembly (to) come
up with just and sustainable solutions....and demand....people's needs
- Civil resistance is planned to achieve long denied "inherent
rights and freedoms (so) our children have a chance to live in peace, to
breathe clean air, and to grow edible natural food."
- Urging millions to join them in person or online, "peace,
justice and equality....starts here."
- "History is knocking. Will you answer the call?"
- Martin Luther King's Message
- On April 4, 1967, one year to the day before his assassination,
Martin Luther King spoke at New York's Riverside Church, saying:
- "We still have a choice today: nonviolent coexistence,
or violent co-annihilation. We must move past indecision to action. If
we do not act, we shall surely be dragged down the long, dark and shameful
corridors of time reserved for those who possess power without compassion,
might without morality, and strength without sight."
- King headlined his speech, "Beyond Vietnam: A Time
to Break Silence."
- Silence is "betrayal," he said. War in Vietnam
was "an enemy of the poor." So are multiple Obama ones today.
- "(I)t should be incandescently clear that no one
who has any concern for the integrity and life (in) America today can ignore
the present war. If America's soul becomes totally poisoned, part of the
autopsy must read Vietnam."
- "This madness must cease....We must stop now....We
must continue to raise our voices if our nation persists in its perverse
ways in Vietnam."
- He called for a "revolution of values, (including)
declaring eternal hostility to poverty, racism, and militarism."
- He ended quoting James Russell Lowell (1819 - 1891),
- "Once to every man and nation
- Comes the moment to decide,
- In the strife of truth and falsehood,
- For the good or evil side...."
- That time is now, said King. It still is unfulfilled
44 years later.
- A Final Comment
- On the Progressive Radio News Hour, Trends Analyst Gerald
Celente discussed a visionary new society - "DIRECT DEMOCRACY NOW!"
- America's "representative democracy" never
worked. Today it's too corrupted to fix. Presidents and congressional members
serve monied, not popular, interests.
- "DirectDemocracyNow.org is a global movement to
spread Direct Democracy," using popular referenda power replacing
back room deal making.
- Victor Hugo said, "There is one thing stronger than
all the armies in the world, and that is an idea whose time has come."
- That time is now. With enough believers committed to
stay the course, "Direct Democracy can happen if we make it happen."
- Get involved. Enlist family and friends. Join groups.
Link up with others. Do it for yourself and children. Do it for their future
- Do it to stop political Washington and Wall Street crooks
from selling you out. Do it to save humanity before imperial warmakers
- Do it because it matters! Do it now!
- Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago and can be reached at
- Also visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com and
listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive
Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network Thursdays at 10AM US Central
time and Saturdays and Sundays at noon. All programs are archived for easy