- Note: A follow-up article will continue the narrative
below. Currently, events in Tripoli are fluid.
- Progressive Radio News Hour contributor Mahdi Nazemroaya's
overnight email said:
- "NATO landed insurgents in (Tripoli) harbor. They
are attacking my hotel. I almost got shot. They're still lying a lot (about
claims of controlling the capital), but we are in real danger."
- He's saying that armed guerrilla gangs, mercenaries,
indistinguishable from (also armed) Tripoli residents, are waging street
- Russia Today reported about 1,300 deaths. No one knows
for sure. However, events are fast-moving and chaotic.
- On Russia Today, Nazemroaya also said heavy looting occurred,
including insurgents breaking into hotel rooms and ransacking them. In
addition, he said NATO WANTS A BLOODBATH.
- In fact, they're getting one, exacerbated by intense
terror bombing, deliberately targeting civilians.
- "Myself, the Press TV journalist (Lizzie Phelan),
three French nationals, the Cuban and Telesur journalists are in danger."
- "One of my French colleagues was told: 'You are
going to suffer the consequences of your actions for opposing the NATO
- Sunday, on Russia Today, Nazemroaya said he was told
that CNN said he personally would pay for opposing the war.
- REPEAT: CNN THREATENED MADHI NAZEMROAYA FOR REPORTING
TRUTHFULLY ABOUT EVENTS ON THE GROUND, NOT THE PRO-NATO PROPAGANDA CNN
(THE NEW YORK TIMES, AND OTHER MAJOR MEDIA) REPORT DAILY.
- What's ongoing in Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan,
and Palestine, as well as throughout North Africa/the Middle East/Central
Asia is part of a COUP D'ETAT AGAINST FREEDOM - PLANNED, ORCHESTRATED AND
DIRECTED FROM WASHINGTON.
- Below covers the situation through Sunday PM. The narrative
aims directly at shameless New York Times propaganda.
- Rather than not send out because new events alter the
picture I present, I believe it's nonetheless important to do so because:
- (1) The New York Times, CNN and rest of the major media
are part of Washington/NATO's war against freedom.
- (2) They publish or broadcast falsified pro-war reports.
- (3) They shamelessly support crimes of war and against
- (4) On the ground "reporters" have provided
NATO with bombing coordinates.
- As a result, at the risk of inaccuracies because of subsequent
events, the original article written Sunday begins as follows:
- There they go again. Another day, more lies, shameless
ones. Their correspondents prostitute themselves daily, making street whores,
pimps, and dope peddlers look respectable in comparison.
- On August 19, David Kirkpatrick headlined, "Qaddafi's
Hold in Tripoli in Doubt as Rebels Advance," saying:
- Gaddafi's "hold on his Tripoli stronghold shows
signs of slipping....Residents (believe his) flight or ouster could be
imminent. Three people said the feeling of fear was ebbing in the streets,"
suggesting it's because they think he'll soon be gone in contrast to the
vast majority of supportive Tripoli residents, besides 85% of Libyans overall.
- According to Kirkpatrick, "(w)ith unexpected swiftness,
the ill-trained and ill-equiped rebels....overtook Zawiyah with its enormous
oil refinery, just 30 miles west of Tripoli."
- He quoted an unnamed US official saying, "Qaddafi
might not know what he's going to do from one day to the next."
- The article discussed other advances, existing solely
in the mind of the Pentagon propagandist and unnamed US official who fed
Kirkpatrick this rubbish he published.
- On August 20, Kareem Fahim and Kirkpatrick headlined,
"Heavy Fighting Reported in Tripoli; Rebels Encircle City," saying:
- "For the first time in months, witnesses in Tripoli
reported heavy fighting across the capital late Saturday night, even as
rebel forces claimed to have encircled the city by taking major towns to
its east, west and south."
- According to "rebel leader" Anwar Fekini, "We
are coordinating the attacks inside, and our forces from outside are ready
to enter Tripoli."
- On August 21, Kareem Fahim headlined, "Libyan Rebels
Pass Defense Ring Near Tripoli," saying:
- "Libyan rebels advanced to within 10 miles of Tripoli
on Sunday, pushing past the city's outer defense lines and vowing to combine
forces with insurgents who have waged intense battles inside the city,"
Gaddafi's "final stronghold."
- As previous articles stressed, these reports read more
like bad fiction than true accounts of conditions on the ground, exposing
lies about alleged rebel victories.
- Stratfor Global Intelligence (SGI) offered a mixed analysis,
discounting notions of Gaddafi's imminent collapse, while nonsensically
suggesting nonexistent rebel "advanc(es) toward Tripoli," indicating
they "may be beginning an attempt to lay siege on the Libyan capital"
and claim victory.
- At the same time, SGI admits a "rebel disinformation
campaign....in full swing....designed to trigger an uprising from within
the capital to facilitate the rebel invasion....A lot of loose talk (about)
a lot of explosions in Tripoli can be expected in the meantime."
- In fact, Stratfor tried having it both ways, claiming
rebel victories based on "disinformation," then exposing them
- A Reality Check
- On August 20, Progressive Radio News contributor Mahdi
Nazemroaya's Global Research.ca article headlined, "Rebel Advances
on Tripoli is Media Disinformation," saying:
- Rebel disinformation claims "(h)eavy gunfire and
explosions" in Tripoli. By the end of August, they say a final battle
to take the city could begin. Other falsified reports indicate fighting
in several city neighborhoods, including Tajoura, Soug Jomaa and Arada.
- In fact, besides ongoing NATO bombing, "gunfire
in the Libyan capital is sporadic and disorganized." Its main purpose
"is to break down the morale here and cause panic."
- "The media here at the hotel where I am staying
have been part of this disinformation campaign. They just want to feed
the panic here and want the regime to collapse. They are fueling and feeding
this psychological war against this country."
- At the same time, Libyans overwhelmingly support Gaddafi,
determined to resist efforts to oust him. New York Times and other media
sources, however, never report it. Instead, they lie, doing it shamelessly
- Appearing August 20 on Russia Today (RT.com), Nazemroaya
confirmed sporadic gunfire only, adding:
- "It's not organized, and it's meant only to break
down the morale" of Tripoli residents "and cause panic....In
fact, the (major) media" are a key part of the disinformation campaign.
- "They're talking about airlifts. (They're) saying
migratory workers want to flee Tripoli. That's not true at all. They just
want to (create) panic and make the regime collapse....They want Tripoli
to be in panic. That's their whole aim," also spreading other lies
"to cause trauma, (and) that's the truth."
- "It's NATO that's doing all the fighting" with
relentless daily bombing, mostly targeting civilians, "civilian checkpoints
that are mostly protected and manned by volunteers," and civilian
- "But when the media say insurgents are moving in,
that's not correct. It's NATO that's doing all the hard work here."
Except for scattered elements, rebels won't "come into Tripoli. The
population (is committed) to oppose them," and well armed by Gaddafi
to do it.
- "This is a NATO operation," controlling everything,
rebels taking orders from them. Reporters are giving bombing coordinates
to NATO, including civilian checkpoints, hospitals, and other nonmilitary
targets to terrorize Libyans into submission.
- "The media here are part of the war machine."
- Also appearing August 20 on RT, Franklin Lamb said he
just returned from traveling all around Tripoli. "There's no heavy
fighting" as falsely reported. "There is sporadic bombing every
hour" or so, and some anti-aircraft fire. "It's clear that the
rebels are not here....Now it's very quiet." Claiming rebels are there
- On the same day, independent journalist Lizzie Phelan
- Tripoli gunfire and fireworks now heard is celebratory
among Gaddafi supporters, not falsified claims of rebel attacks.
- Earlier there were some scattered rebel fighters in the
city, perhaps sleeper cells awaiting orders. Libya's government calls them
gangs. "They've now been cleared out of the city, captured and arrested."
- "The only explosions (heard are) from NATO bombing
and sound bombs to create a sense of panic....Now what we're hearing happened
earlier today is that the rebels (by) their own media, their own channels,
including Al Jazeera at the center of the media conspiracy, is that they
created some fake footage inside Zawiya, claiming they're (there) and in
- It was done to create panic. Scattered rebel gangs began
firing and threatening people, saying they'd be assassinated if they didn't
- Other "armed Libyans came out to defend their capital."
Control was reestablished. Now people are out because they feel safe again,
showing relief with fireworks and celebratory gunfire, ready to resist
other rebel attacks if they come.
- Gaddafi also spoke live by phone, insisting he's alive,
well, and inside the country. Moreover, "NATO isn't having any successes
on the ground, so (their only recourse) is to fabricate them by (media
lies) to convince the Security Council and most people that the war is
- Since the beginning of the conflict, "people have
been armed to the teeth," using weapons Gaddafi supplied. They're
"ready to defend their capital and country, and stand by their leader
- They understand the unacceptable alternative. As a result,
they're committed to fight to prevent it.
- Phalen's Sunday report said scattered fighting continues.
In other words, rebel pockets claim advances not made, solely for media-spread
propaganda purposes to incite panic in Tripoli.
- Residents are too smart to buy it. Well-armed and committed,
they're ready to defend their city and country, unwilling to surrender
to NATO, rebel cutthroats, and media liars.
- Suppressing Information about Israel's Crimes
- On August 20, Times writers Isabel Kershner and Fares
Akram headlined, "Casualties on Both Sides as Israel and Gaza Trade
- "Palestinian militants from Gaza fired rockets at
cities deep inside Israeli territory on Saturday, killing one person. And
Israel struck a squad that was firing mortars from northern Gaza as violence
continued in the wake of an attack on Thursday that killed eight Israelis,
Israeli officials said."
- Instead of explaining what's really ongoing, both writers
suggested Palestinians are at fault, responsible for killing Israelis,
when, in fact, they had nothing to do with it.
- As a result, they implied support for Israel's right
to respond violently, saying nothing about its plan to assassinate Popular
Resistance Committees (PRC) leaders, willfully target civilians and nonmilitary
infrastructure, and perhaps continue relentless attacks.
- To derail Palestinian UN General Assembly efforts for
self-determination and de jure member status.
- End weeks of nationwide protests for social justice issues
Netanyahu won't address.
- Perhaps also prevent a possible Palestinian spring and
provide pretext for Cast Lead II.
- Both writers, in fact, steered clear of Israeli motives,
said little about Palestinian casualties, nothing about years of Gaza under
siege, Israel's planned slow-motion genocide, nor explain extreme human
suffering too severe to ignore.
- Instead, they changed the subject, covering IDF attacks
against "Hamas training facilities, weapons manufacturing sites, smugglers'
tunnels, and rocket and mortar teams preparing to attack," ending
their brief report, saying:
- "Some 50 rockets have been fired at Israel since
Thursday. (Saturday) evening, a rocket that hit a house in Ofakim wounded
three, including an infant and a child."
- Implied was that only Israeli casualties matter, not
horrific ones inflicted regularly on Palestinians.
- Not only do Times writers lie, they airbrush uncomfortable
truths about Washington and Israeli crimes, betraying their readers and
profession in the process.
- A Final Comment
- Judith Miller's fall from grace taught Times correspondents
nothing. Like her, they're again in full battle mode, scamming their readers
by publishing Pentagon press releases, not accurate reports, disgracing
themselves in the process.
- And if Times reports proliferate lies, imagine what other
media sources provide, especially US television news and information. It's
little more than a bottomless profane sinkhole of worthlessness.
- Tune it out, avoid it, and prevent a bad aftertaste and
- Instead, stay informed. Spread the truth and act on it
- Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago and can be reached at
- Also visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com and
listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive
Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network Thursdays at 10AM US Central
time and Saturdays and Sundays at noon. All programs are archived for easy