- Headlines explaining former Serbian General Ratko Mladic's
May 27 arrest allege his 1995 responsibility for massacring 8,000 Muslim
men and boys at Srebrenica. True or false is at issue. More on that below.
- Meanwhile, inflammatory accounts already convicted him
by accusation, including New York Times writers Dan Bilefsky and Doreen
Carvajal headlining, "Serbia Says Jailed Mladic Will Face War Crimes
- Arresting him "signal(ed) Serbia's intention of
finally escaping the isolation it brought on itself during the Balkan wars,"
ones Western media, including The Times, consistently misreported on throughout
the 1990s, culminating in NATO's 1999 war of aggression, falsely called
- Inflating Srebrenica deaths to "10,000....including
3,500 children," Bilefsky and Carvajal called the alleged massacre
"the worst ethnically motivated mass murder on the European continent
since World War II," Mladic to stand trial for "war crimes...."
- Other accounts were similar, including Reuters headlining,
"Instant view: West hails news of Mladic arrest in Serbia," quoting
"sources" like UK Defense Secretary Liam Fox saying:
- "It's clearly (an arrest) to be welcomed....It's
a reminder to all those who fly in the face of international justice that
sooner or later they will be brought to book for their crimes."
- He's right, hopefully. Sooner or later real war criminals
like American, Israeli and UK ones may have to answer for numerous crimes
of war and against humanity, slaughtering millions for power and profit.
- For example: Years of Western-backed Balkan wars culminated
with NATO's 1999 Serbia/Kosovo terror bombing, an atrocity playwright/Nobel
laureate Harold Pinter described as follows:
- "Little did we think two years ago that we had elected
a government which would take a leading role in what is essentially a criminal
act, showing total contempt for the United Nations and international law."
Saying it made him ashamed to be British, he called cutting children to
pieces from 15,000 feet "barbaric" and despicably hypocritical.
- "Let us face the truth," he added. "Neither
Clinton nor Blair (gave) a damn about the Kosovar Albanians. This action
has been yet another blatant and brutal assertion of US power using NATO
as its missile. It set out to consolidate one thing - American domination
of Europe. This must be recognised and it must be resisted."
- This barbarism mustn't be allowed to stand. Yet victims
are held accountable for the perpetrators, the way victors' justice always
works - including writing the mythology about what allegedly happened in
July 1995 at Srebrenica.
- A Potocari, Bosnia Genocide Memorial Stone (SrebrenicaStone.jpg)
lists "8372...." deaths. Saying it, however, doesn't make it
- Separating Truths from Mythology
- Diana Johnstone wrote the definitive Balkan wars history.
Her book, "Fools' Crusade: Yugoslavia, NATO and Western Delusions,"
is essential reading to understand its causes and long-lasting effects.
- For the West, it was about deterring Milosevic's "Greater
Serbia" quest, a gross mischaracterization about a war Western powers
wanted and initiated, notably America and Germany. They encouraged cessation,
provoked conflict, then took credit for ending it, committing real massacres
in the process.
- Milosevic, in fact, wanted Yugoslavia's disintegration
prevented. When it happened, he wanted minority Serbs protected, allowed
either to stay in Yugoslavia or get autonomy in newly created rump states.
Washington, however, had other aims. Johnstone believes they included:
- -- occupation, colonization and exploitation;
- -- preventing a European-backed settlement;
- -- "assert(ing) dominance over European allies in
the arbitration of European conflicts;"
- -- expanding NATO through an "out of area"
humanitarian mission, aka US-led war, domination, colonization and military
- -- "gain(ing) influence in the Muslim world by (allegedly)
championing the Bosnian Muslims."
- She also called "government by international bureaucracy
(a) new trend in the New World Order."
- As a result, "Bosnia-Herzegovina has been ruled
by a similar combination: a complicated set of local authorities under
the strict supervision of a 'High Representative' (a contemporary Proconsul
or Viceroy) who can, and does, annul laws adopted by the local democratic
institutions or dismiss democratically chosen officials" not in tow
with official Washington.
- In other words, dictatorship called democracy, the kind
Washington disdains and won't tolerate abroad or at home. Never, in fact,
in one of its colonies, the latest at the time pounded mercilessly from
March 24 - June 10, 1999.
- Around 600 aircraft flew about 3,000 sorties, dropping
thousands of tons of ordnance as well as hundreds of ground-launched cruise
missiles. Up to then, its ferocity was unprecedented.
- Nearly everything was struck, causing massive destruction
and disruption, including:
- -- known or suspected military sites;
- -- power plants;
- -- factories;
- -- transportation;
- -- telecommunications facilities;
- -- vital infrastructure, including roads, bridges and
- -- fuel depots;
- -- schools;
- -- a TV station;
- -- China's Belgrade embassy;
- -- hospitals;
- -- government offices;
- -- churches;
- -- historic landmarks; and
- -- other targets in cities and villages throughout the
- Using NATO as a missile, it was lawless Pentagon aggression
called humanitarian intervention whenever America goes to war, including
Iraq 1991, again in 2003, Afghanistan in 2001, and currently Libya, slaughtering
civilians, not protecting them.
- In Serbia/Kosovo, an estimated $100 billion in damage
was inflicted. A humanitarian disaster resulted. Environmental contamination
was extensive. Large numbers were killed, injured or displaced. Two million
people lost their livelihoods, many their homes and communities, and for
most their futures under Western domination.
- Serbia/Kosovo, in fact, was a prototype for new millennium
aggression to eliminate challenges to US dominance, waging permanent wars
to perpetuate it.
- Srebrenica - Separating Myth from Known Facts
- On October 12, 2005, Johnstone discussed it in her CounterPunch
article titled, "Srebrenica Revisited," remembering its summer
10th anniversary when the "dominant themes were 'nostra culpa:' 'we'
let it happen, 'we' didn't want to know about it, and 'we' mustn't let
it happen again."
- Who are "we," she asked, and how accurate is
the official story, questions to this day "virtually taboo" to
preserve the official myth, including exaggerating Serb atrocities "whereas
Muslim atrocities (such as the decapitations of Serb prisoners, fully documented)
- Official accounts portrayed "a one-sided conflict
between a Serbian 'fascist aggressor' and innocent victims, all unarmed
- Unexplained was that Srebrenica was a Muslim military
base, besides a refugee "safe area." Slobodan Milosevic, in fact,
wanted Serb forces restrained from overrunning it. In addition:
- -- before the July 1995 attack, Srebrebica-based Muslim
forces "carried out murderous attacks on nearby Serb villages;"
- -- Muslim Sarajevo officials withdrew their Srebrenica
commanders, "leaving thousands of....soldiers (leaderless), without
orders, and in total confusion when the foreseeable Serb attack occurred;"
- -- when "Bosnian Serb forces captured (Srebrenica)
on July 11, 1995," civilians wanted to leave because normality there
- -- separating women and children from men was, in fact,
done to find "the perpetrators of raids on Serb villages (to) take
- -- yet only a small number "were detained at that
point;" some, in fact, survived.
- The alleged Srebrenica victim count reflected lies and
half-truths based on what's known but omitted in official and major media
accounts. The 8,000 number included the Red Cross estimate of 3,000 "witnesses,"
allegedly detained by Bosnian Serbs, as well as another 5,000 Red Cross
accounts said "fled Srebrenica, some of whom reached Central Bosnia."
- In other words, they fled. They weren't killed. Yet,
they were added to the mythical death toll to inflate it. Years later,
in fact, forensic teams discovered 2,361 bodies in the area where heavy
fighting occurred, including combatants on both sides, not massacred civilians.
- Johnstone explained that "(n)either the Bosnian
Serbs nor the Muslims were ever forthcoming with whatever information they
had, (yet) the '8,000' figure (became) an established total of 'Muslim
men and boys executed by Serb forces.' "
- Afterward, Washington exploited Srebrenica to:
- -- conceal "the US-backed Croatian offensive,"
forcefully removing Serbs from Krajina, an operation approved and supported
by Washington, perhaps killing larger numbers than the alleged Srebrenica
numbers, including women and children ruthlessly; and
- -- "implicate Bosnian Serb leaders in 'genocide'
(to) disqualify them from negotiating the future of Bosnia-Herzegovina."
- Exploiting the alleged Srebrenica massacre facilitated
waging 1999 imperial war by blaming UN inability to protect it, so NATO's
humanitarian war had to intervene. In addition, Milosevic was falsely criminalized
for alleged genocidal killings "against non-Serbs for purely racist
- Claiming Serbian caused genocide was, in fact, used "as
an effective instrument (to) restructur(e) Yugoslavia," balkanizing
it under US control. Official and media propaganda repeated fabrications,
exaggerations, and half-truths about what happened, portraying victims
as perpetrators to this day.
- Heading for a Hague tribunal lynching, Ratko Mladic is
already guilty by accusation before he arrives. Washington, of course,
insists on it to perpetuate the official lie, a massacre invented out of
- Yet most people still believe it, the same ones perhaps
thinking Washington's led NATO war on Gaddafi is another humanitarian intervention,
when, in fact, it's more imperial aggression, slaughtering civilians daily,
not protecting them!
- Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago and can be reached at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Also visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com
and listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the
Progressive Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network Thursdays
at 10AM US Central time and Saturdays and Sundays at noon. All programs
are archived for easy listening.