- Winston Churchill rightly explained that "(a) lie
gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its
pants on." He said it perhaps before television. For sure before 24-hour
cable TV and modern technology instantly communicating globally.
- It applies to Obama's latest lie, announced at 11:35PM
EDT on bin Laden, saying:
- "Tonight, I can report to the American people and
to the world that the United States has conducted an operation that killed
Osama bin Laden, the leader of al Qaeda, and a terrorist who's responsible
for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children."
- Highlighting 9/11, he painstakingly discussed everything
but the truth. America's media repeated it. Celebratory crowds in front
of the White House, in Times Square, and at "ground zero" cheered
it past midnight, mindlessly believing a lie. More on that below.
- On May 1, New York Times writers Peter Baker, Helene
Cooper and Mark Mazzetti headlined, "Bin Laden Is Dead, Obama says:
- Calling him "the mastermind of the most devastating
attack on American soil in modern times and the most hunted man in the
world," Obama announced his death Sunday night, declaring "justice
has been done."
- Cheerleading, not reporting, Baker, Cooper and Mazzetti
called his "demise....a defining moment in the American-led fight
against terrorism, a symbolic stroke affirming the relentlessness of the
pursuit of those who attacked New York and Washington on Sept. 11, 2001."
- New Year's eve arrived early in America, celebrating
a lie, the "bewildered herd" again seduced by presidential deception.
- A USA Today editorial headlined, "At last, bin Laden
is dead," saying:
- "Could there be any more satisfying words to hear?"
- The Boston Globe highlighted "a moment of unity"
after nearly a decade of war, calling Obama's announcement a "vindication
of a manhunt spanning presidential administrations, and involving numerous
agencies and countless intelligence officers."
- AP quoted Bill Clinton saying:
- "I congratulate the president, the national security
team and the members of our armed forces on bringing Osama bin Laden to
justice after more than a decade of murderous al Qaeda attacks."
- House speaker John Boehner (R. OH) said it was "great
- House Democrat leader Nancy Pelosi called it "historic."
- Senate Democrat leader Harry Reid "reaffirm(ed)
our resolve to defeat the terrorist forces that killed (9/11 victims) and
thousands of others across the globe."
- Expect lots more cheerleading ahead, led by major media
reports doing what they do best, providing sanitized, managed news, not
- Separating Fact from Fiction
- Post-9/11, bin Laden became "Enemy Number One,"
the nation's top "security threat." In fact, if he hadn't existed,
he'd have been invented for political advantage.
- In March 1985, after Ronald Reagan signed National Security
Decision Directive (NSDD) 166 to arm Afghan Mujahideen fighters, Pakistan's
Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) recruited bin Laden to fight Soviet Afghan
forces as a CIA asset. He likely remained one until his death, while simultaneously
called "Enemy Number One," using him advantageously both ways.
- David Ray Griffin wrote seminal books on 9/11, including
"The New Pearl Harbor," "The 9/11 Commission Report,"
"9/11 and American Empire," "9/11 Contradictions,"
"Mysterious Collapse of World Trade Center 7," and "Osama
Bin Laden: Dead of Alive?"
- It was also the title of his October 9, 2009 Global Research
article, covering two types of evidence:
- (1) Objective evidence that he's dead:
- After December 13, 2001, his regularly intercepted messages
- On December 26, 2001, according to "a leading Pakistani
newspaper" story, a prominent Taliban official said he attended his
- Bin Laden, in fact, was very ill with kidney disease.
In September 2001, CBS News anchor Dan Rather reported that he was admitted
to a Rawalpindi, Pakistan hospital on September 10, 2001, and France's
Le Figaro said:
- "Dubai....was the backdrop of a secret meeting between
Osama bin Laden and the local CIA agent in July (2001). A partner of the
administration of the American Hospital....claims that (bin Laden) stayed
(there) between the 4th and 14th of July (and) received visits from many
members of his family as well as prominent Saudis and Emiratis. (During
the same period), the local CIA agent, known to many in Dubai, was seen
taking (the hospital's) main elevator (to) bin Laden's room."
- Why not if he was a valued asset.
- In July 2002, "CNN reported that (his) bodyguards
had been captured in February of that year, adding: 'Sources believe that
if the bodyguards were captured away from bin Laden, it is likely the most
wanted man in the world is dead."
- Finally, despite Washington offering a $25 million reward
for information leading to his capture or killing, no one came forward.
- (2) Testimonial evidence of his death:
- In 2002, influential "people in a position to know"
that he died included:
- -- Pakistan President Musharraf;
- -- FBI counterterrorism head Dale Watson;
- -- Oliver North saying, "I'm certain that Osama
is dead....and so are all the other guys I stay in touch with;"
- -- Afghanistan President Karzai;
- -- Israeli intelligence saying supposed bin Laden messages
were fake; and
- -- Pakistan's ISI "confirm(ing) the death of....Osama
bin Laden (and) attribut(ing) the reasons behind Washington's hiding (the
truth) to the desire of (America's hawks) to use the issue of al Qaeda
and international terrorism to invade Iraq."
- Other evidence includes former CIA case officer Robert
Baer telling National Public Radio (NPR): "Of course he's dead."
- Then in March 2009, "former Foreign Service officer
Angelo Codevilla published an essay in the American Spectator entitled
'Osama bin Elvis,' " saying:
- "Seven years after (bin Laden's) last verifiable
appearance among the living, there is more evidence of Elvis's presence
among us than for his."
- Griffin also explained fake messages and videos, saying
today's advanced technology can fool experts, but not all of them.
- For years, bin Laden tapes surfaced at strategically-timed
moments. Consider one on Friday, September 7, 2007 ahead the sixth 9/11
anniversary. Hector Factor's Neal Krawetz, a digital image forensics expert,
said it was full of low quality visual and audio splices, a likely fake.
- Striking also was bin Laden's beard that was gray in
recent images. In this one, it was black. In addition, he was dressed in
a white hat and shirt, as well as a yellow sweater, the same attire as
on an October 29, 2004 video. Moreover, the background, lighting, desk
and camera angle were identical.
- Krawetz noted that "if you overlay the 2007 and
2004 videos, bin Laden's face is the same (unaged)." Only his beard
was darker, and the picture contrast was adjusted. Most important are the
edits showing obvious splices, at least six video ones in all. Even more
audio ones were used that appeared to be words and phrases spliced together,
making Krawetz suspect a vocal imitator was used.
- A Final Comment
- Clear evidence showed bin Laden died years ago, likely
in December 2001. However, reporting it was concealed to pursue America's
"war on terror."
- As a result, "Enemy Number One" was used to
stoke fear as pretext for imperial wars on Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan,
Libya, perhaps others now planned, and numerous proxy ones in Somalia,
Yemen, Bahrain, Palestine, Central Africa, Colombia, and elsewhere.
- Griffin wrote his bin Laden book, hoping to shorten America's
wars. He also wished to expose "fake bin Laden tapes (used as) one
part of an extensive propaganda operation....furthering the militarization
of America and its foreign policy" while popular needs go begging.
- Obama's latest lie left America's imperial agenda unchanged.
In fact, his announcement likely bolsters public support for what's clearly
become unpopular, saying:
- "(T)hink back to the sense of unity that prevailed
on 9/11," urging people to show it again despite how militarism harms
their security, well-being and futures by draining funds badly needed for
- Instead, expect increasing amounts used for corporate
handouts and wars, Obama as uncaring about human needs as extremist Republicans.
He's also an inveterate liar.
- Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago and can be reached at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Also visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com
and listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the
Progressive Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network Thursdays
at 10AM US Central time and Saturdays and Sundays at noon. All programs
are archived for easy listening.