- Washington supports a UN seat for the illegitimate Transitional
National Council (TNC) Libyan government.
- Obama vows to veto a Palestinian bid for statehood and
full de jure UN membership.
- Imperial America's wrong over right agenda takes center
stage across North Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
- Death, destruction, and immiseration take precedence
over rule of law principles and norms.
- It's no different at home where political leaders favor
wealth and power interests over working households, struggling to cope
during America's greatest Depression.
- Imperial arrogance and hypocrisy define Washington's
contempt for human and civil rights, as well as other core democratic values.
Almost daily it reaches for new heights.
- On September 16, New York Times writer Neil MacFarquhar
headlined, "UN Takes Steps to Assist Libya's Transitional Leaders,"
- The "Security Council lift(ed) some economic sanctions
and the General Assembly accept(ed) the credentials of the (Illegitimate)
transitional government to represent Libya in the world body."
- Reuters said Washington "welcome(d the) vote. Vow(ed)
to be 'friend' of Libya."
- UN ambassador Susan Rice said Tripoli will have "a
friend and partner in the United States. The Libyan people still have much
more work to do, but they also have the full knowledge that the international
community, including the United States, stands ready to help their transition
towards democracy, prosperity, and the rule of law."
- In fact, Washington plans colonization, occupation, plunder,
and exploitation. Libya is now wholly owned by America and its imperial
- Democracy, rule of law principles, and general prosperity
won't be tolerated. Only favored elitist interests will benefit. That's
what all wars are about, not freedom and a new beginning for liberated
- Seventeen countries voted against UN membership. Venezuela's
UN Ambassador, Jorge Valero, perhaps spoke for others, saying:
- Caracas rejects the "illegitimate transitory authority
imposed by foreign intervention" and any attempt to make Libya a NATO
or Security Council "protectorate."
- It's already a colony to be brutally exploited like wherever
imperial America shows up.
- Cuban UN Ambassador Pedro Nunez Mosquera said NATO conducted
"a military operation to change the regime to promote their political
and economic interests."
- On September 20, Obama will welcome TNC head Mustafa
Jalil in New York at the UN. He'll also meet there with other imperial
partners to discuss how to carve up their new trophy property.
- White House deputy national security advisor Ben Rhodes
describes it as "US support (for) the type of Libya we'd like to see
- He barely concealed what he means, calling Libya a "success"
story. Millions now suffering there might disagree. For them, in fact,
the worst is yet to come.
- A previous article discussed planned peacekeeper occupation
of Libya, accessed through the following link:
- On September 16, the Security Council authorized a "UN
Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL)," without explaining its another
illegal imperial occupation against the wishes of Libyans wanting freedom,
peace, and right to govern their own affairs.
- Instead they'll get paramilitary brutality, mass rapes,
and sex trafficking, as well as other atrocities and crimes against humanity.
- They're commonplace wherever Blue Helmets show up. They
come as enforcers, not peacekeepers. They serve powerful interests, not
those of people they're sworn to protect.
- Libyans will soon taste what 16 other countries endure,
including DRC Congo, Sudan, Kosovo, Rwanda, and Haiti where local people
hate them and want them out. However, they have no say or rights. Their
choice is obey or else.
- Libya v. Palestine
- Partnered with Israel, Washington won't tolerate Palestinian
statehood and full UN membership. Note the contrast. TNC-led Libya has
no legitimacy. Yet it easily got UN membership.
- Palestinians have waited 63 years for their legitimate
- Maybe next time, not now, because Obama and Netanyahu
won't tolerate them. Neither does Abbas who signaled capitulation in a
September 16 speech.
- New York Times writers Ethan Bronner and Isabel Kershner
weren't listening. It shows in their September 16 article headlined, "Palestinians
Set Bid for UN Seat, Clashing with UN," saying:
- Abbas "announced Friday that he would seek membership
for a state of Palestine from the (Security Council) next week, putting
him on a collision course with Israel and the United States...."
- Fact check
- The only "collision" will be Arab street anger
after America's veto, even though doing so has no teeth. The General Assembly
alone admits new members. The Security Council only recommends.
- A previous article said Abbas won't petition the General
Assembly, or if he does, it'll be for less than full rights within easy
reach. In other words, he'll settle for half a loaf status quo, leaving
Palestinians back at square one.
- Yet both Times writers called Abbas' plan "a double
defeat for the United States. Washington not only failed to dissuade (him)
from a unilateral bid for statehood, but also fell short of its goal of"
preventing an easy to pass "symbolic" General Assembly vote.
- Fact check
- As explained above, if properly done, General Assembly
membership votes are decisive, not "symbolic."
- "The United States has struggled to place itself
on the side of those seeking justice and freedom in the current revolts....A
veto of Palestinian membership would intensify Arab perceptions of American
- Fact check
- Ask Bahrainis about Washington's "struggle"
for "justice and freedom." Ask Yemenis being bombed by US drones.
Ask Libyans enduring months of daily terror bombings and cutthroat mercenaries
murdering anyone thought to be pro-Gaddafi.
- Ask starving Somalis being attacked by US proxies and
tortured in secret US prisons. Ask Iraqis and Afghans how they feel about
Americans in their midst. Ask anyone anywhere when US forces show up. They'll
- Bronner and Kershner are paid to lie and support powerful
interests, not popular ones or rule of law standards.
- Netanyahu - a Profile in Brazen Defiance
- Haaretz writer Doron Rosenblum accused Netanyahu of "running
Israel aground," saying:
- He devoted his tenure "to riding roughshod over
every diplomatic finesse, to scattering threats, to provoking crises, to
searching for anti-Semitism and to finding various bizarre excuses for
continuing the annexationist status quo."
- "Only when (he was) absolutely forced (did he) pay
lip service to 'two states' and 'willingness to negotiate' - but with a
lack of conviction that was worse than a direct refusal. For in doing so,
(he) did not merely lose sympathy; he lost a much more important card:
- Rosenblum only stopped short of saying better trust a
snake than a man known for never "having acted in good faith."
- On September 16, it showed by his rejection of Palestinians
seeking statehood recognition at the UN, saying:
- "Peace can only be achieved through direct negotiations
with Israel," adding:
- When the PA "abandon(s) its futile measures, firstly
its unilateral decision to approach the UN, it will find Israel as a partner
for negotiations and peace."
- In fact, Israel only wants Palestinian leaders as an
occupying power's enforcer.
- Israel never negotiates and won't tolerate peace. Netanyahu
once called it "a waste of time."
- Washington backs whatever Israel wants, even when it
harms its own interests.
- On September 6, US Israeli ambassador Daniel Shapiro
- "The test of every policy the administration develops
in the Middle East is whether it is consistent with the goal of ensuring
Israel's future as a secure, Jewish, democratic state. That is a commitment
that runs as a common thread through our entire government."
- Israel, of course, never was democratic and isn't now.
Any nation affording rights solely to one segment of society at the expense
of others is discriminatory, repressive and unfair.
- Arabs comprise one-fifth of Israel's population, but
are treated more like fifth column threats than citizens.
- America, of course, treats all working people as subjects
to be exploited, not helped. It's true at home and abroad. Israel modeled
its economy after America's, adopting the worst of its neoliberal harshness.
- Both nations are partnered in an imperial enterprise
to subjugate people throughout the Middle East/North Africa/Central Asia.
America and its NATO allies plan the same thing globally, waging multiple
wars to do it.
- Freedom, independence, and democratic rights are notions
none of these countries tolerate. Ask suffering millions. They'll explain.
- Taking Aim at Abbas
- As explained above, Abbas signaled capitulation in his
September 16 speech, again revealing his collaborationist credentials.
- Hamas and Islamic Jihad denounced his speech.
- Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum accused him of "unilateral
moves" by acting without consulting Palestine's legitimate government
and other factions.
- Islamic Jihad spokesman Daoud Shihab said his objective
is reopening negotiations with Israel, not independence and UN membership.
- He added that Abbas should focus on implementing his
May unity government agreement, now sidetracked at Washington and Israel's
behest. They, in fact, want Hamas isolated, not allied with Fatah to serve
- Reuters said Quartet members will meet in New York on
September 18 in a last-ditch effort to derail a showdown over Palestinian
statehood and UN membership.
- They want resumption of bilateral Israeli/Palestinian
negotiations going nowhere and won't now. At issue is preventing Abbas
from petitioning the UN, no matter how little he'll settle for.
- In a word, they want Palestinians subjugated under permanent
occupation with no rights. Obama and Netanyahu call it "peace."
- Others call it bondage. Abbas calls it the best he can
- Palestinians may finally realize they need leaders representing
them, no matter what they sacrifice to do it.
- Freedom never comes easily or quickly. It never comes
at all without trying under committed leaders doing what they know is right.
- Freedom next time isn't good enough. Tomorrow never comes.
- Palestinian statehood and full UN membership - now's
- Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago and can be reached at
- Also visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com and
listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive
Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network Thursdays at 10AM US Central
time and Saturdays and Sundays at noon. All programs are archived for easy