- After three and a half terror bombing months and counting,
destroying Libya for wealth and power continues, each imperial nation playing
its part in this sinister dirty game, masquerading as liberation.
- France finally admitted what's already known, that it's
been supplying mercenary cutthroats with automatic weapons, rocket launchers,
assault rifles, anti-tank missiles, and who knows what else. So have Egypt,
Saudi Arabia, Qatar, perhaps other US imperial allies, and the Pentagon
itself. In mid-April, The New York Times said Benghazi-based rebels got
weapons from abroad without naming names.
- For months, US and UK special forces provided training,
The Times saying "professional training centers" were used to
do it. In fact, recruiting, funding, and arming rebels began well before
bombing began. America's war was planned many months, perhaps years earlier.
Obama picked his moment to launch it.
- Even the International Criminal Court (ICC) is complicit,
functioning as an imperial tool, not a legitimate tribunal. Its chief prosecutor
Jose Luis Moren-Ocampo, in fact, targets victims, not criminal Washington,
London and Paris conspirators, attacking a nonbelligerent country. It's
been standard US practice since WW II.
- In May, Ocampo sought arrest warrants for Gaddafi, his
son Saif al-Islam, and brother-in-law intelligence chief, Abdullah Al-Sanousi,
on "charges of orchestrating systematic attacks against civilians
(amounting) to crimes against humanity," with no evidence whatever
to prove it.
- Then end of June he issued arrest warrants against all
three on alleged crimes against humanity, saying reasonable grounds exist
to believe they're "criminally responsible as indirect perpetrators
of civilian killings and repression" - again with no corroborating
evidence or authority. Libya, in fact, isn't an ICC member, nor are America,
China, Russia and India, some nations, openly critical of how it operates
with good reason.
- On June 28 in Tripoli, Franklin Lamb reported about Libyan
Ministry of Health (MOH) "Current Statistics of Civilian Victims of
NATO Bombardments on Libya (3/19/11 - 6/27/11" he obtained. Libya's
Red Crescent Society, neighborhood civil defense workers, and Tripoli's
Nassar University researchers confirmed them.
- They include:
- -- 6,121 killed or injured;
- -- among them were 3,093 men injured, another 668 killed;
1,318 women injured, another 260 killed; and 641 children injured, another
141 killed; and
- -- among those seriously hurt, 655 are still hospitalized,
another 4,397 released for outpatient care.
- Except for one major incident killing 15 men, women and
children, NATO claims only military targets are struck, even though many
are schools, a university, commercial sites, hospitals, ports, airports,
and residential neighborhoods unrelated to military necessity.
- On July 1, up to one million pro-Gaddafi Tripoli residents
massed in Green Square to hear him speak by telephone. Western media, including
The New York Times, called it "defiant," threatening to attack
Europe if NATO bombing didn't stop.
- The Times misquoted him, claiming he said he'd take the
battle "to Europe, target your homes, offices, families, which have
become legitimate military targets, like you have targeted our homes."
- In fact, writer Kareen Fahim lied as part of a systematic
anti-Gaddafi propaganda campaign. Al- Jazeera was just as duplicitous,
repeating the above fabrications instead of reporting what he said.
- In part, he challenged "Sarkozy, Cameron and Obama
to switch on their TVs and watch the crowds, (so) they will find out that
they are delusional because they entered a war which they (can) never win."
- He didn't threaten to retaliate but said "we can
(because) Europe is not far away, but (he added) lets not do this and watch
the crowds, kids and women. They are not here because I ordered them to
(come. It's their) free will. In this war you are not facing me, you are
facing these crowds. I am nothing. If you want peace with Libyans, it is
up to the crowds. If you want anything, negotiate with (them)."
- "The regime is not a Gaddafi regime. It is a Libyan
(one). Is it a democracy to bomb the civilians? We don't want a democracy
which comes with bombs."
- "The socialist Jamahyria will win, the real democracy
which serves the people....The Libyans said their words. They marched.
Their tribes made it clear that the future is for Libyans. The oil is for
Libya. Libya is ours. You are delusional, a group of traitors convinced
(that) Libya is easy to get....You Libyan people are the only one(s) who
can finish this war with a victory."
- "If they want to negotiate we welcome that. Otherwise
we are continuing and they are definitely losing no matter how many weapons
they drop (to) rebels. We will not betray our history nor our children
and their future. The glory is for you brave Libyans. The struggle will
- Growing numbers of Libyans support him the longer NATO
terror bombings continue, mostly killing civilian men, women and children,
NATO and major media denials notwithstanding.
- Months into Obama's war, Der Spiegel's June 28 Matthias
Gebauer article headlined, "Berlin Willing to Supply Weapons for Libya
war because munitions running out," saying:
- Germany offered to help "despite its fundamental
opposition to the war. (Its) defense minister (Thomas de Maiziere) has
already approved (the) request" to supply bomb components, missiles,
sensitive guidance technology, and more on request, making Germany openly
complicit in terror bombing crimes.
- Britain said it can't continue its campaign much longer
without help, facing shortages of air-to-ground missiles and perhaps other
weapons and/or munitions. Back home, however, it's not short of ways to
force feed austerity on millions of Brits to wage global terror wars for
power, privilege and plunder.
- Merkel's government wants its share. Germany's Federal
Security Council approval isn't needed for her to act. However, the Bundestag
(its parliament) wasn't told about weapon shipments. Although Germany isn't
directly engaged in combat, Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle "promised
the rebels massive civilian aid after the possible toppling of Gaddafi's
regime." Berlin also offered to help train post-Gaddafi era security
forces. Clearly, Germany is complicit up to its ears in NATO terror. Direct
or indirect hardly matters.
- Like all US wars, Orwellian doublespeak defines the campaign,
including "humanitarian intervention," liberation, "Operation
Unified Protector," and NATO's "Partnership for Peace" program
to create trust among non-member states.
- NATO, of course, is code language for the Pentagon. Trusting
it is like befriending a rattlesnake or shark, concerned only with devouring
their next meal. NATO does it globally from 30,000 feet and ancillary tentacles
everywhere, reigning "liberal interventionism" death and destruction
to "protect civilians" by murdering them.
- Through July 1, NATO's Allied Command Operations site
(http://www.aco.nato.int/page424201235.aspx) mentions 13,460 sorties since
March, including 5,047 "strike" ones "to protect civilians
and civilian-population areas under attack or threat of attack" by
"shock and awe" killing and destruction.
- What do you call a war not called war? In mid-June, Obama
did in 38 doublespeak pages sent Congress, using duplicitous reasoning
to do what he damn pleases, law or no law, and whether or not congressional
and/or popular approval backs him.
- Russia's NATO representative Dmitry Rogozin believes
"we are witnessing the preparation stage of a ground operation which
NATO, or at least some of its members (are) preparing to begin."
- In fact, plans have been in place for months, involving
US (and very likely) other NATO forces, though whether or not it will be
implemented isn't known. On June 15, Infowar contributor Aaron Dykes claimed
- "alarming reports from within the ranks of military
stationed at Ft. Hood, Texas (confirm) plans to initiate a full-scale US-led
ground invasion in Libya and deploy troops by October."
- Access his full article through the following link:
- Ahead of it he said additional Special Forces are coming
in advance this month. Overall, about 30,000 troops are involved, suggesting
a major operation if true.
- He also said "numerous calls and e-mails from other
military personnel" confirm it, perhaps with a large contingent by
September. "Among these supporting sources is a British SAS (special
forces) officer confirming that US Army Rangers are already in Libya."
- Moreover, someone in USCENTCOM called "Specialist
H....revealed that there have already been American casualties inside Libya.
He confirmed that at least 2 soldiers and 3 civilians have died from combat
bullet wounds" - what Obama, the Pentagon or America's media won't
admit or discuss.
- In fact, Obama assured Congress and the public that no
US forces will be deployed. He lied. Special Forces and perhaps others
have been there for months, providing training, support, and perhaps actual
combat against Gaddafi.
- It's another reason why he should be impeached, removed,
and tried for crimes of war and against humanity, as if more are needed
with a litany already known.
- Stay tuned. America's Libya war and five others show
no signs of ending. In fact, they're intensifying. Obama, the peace candidate,
is even more belligerent than his predecessor.
- A Final Comment
- Israel, Washington and complicit allies have waged propaganda,
intimidation, sabotage, and other ways to prevent Freedom Flotilla II from
reaching Gaza with humanitarian aid.
- Two vessels were disabled, at least one unable to continue.
Eight others are illegally prevented from departing Greek ports, its government
Israel's latest pro-siege ally, complicit in its slow-motion genocidal
- Quartet members representing America, Russia, the EU
and UN issued a July 3 anti-Flotilla statement, saying:
- "Israel has legitimate security concerns that must
continue to be safeguarded," when, in fact, none exist against the
region's most powerful military and haven't since 1973.
- Nonetheless, "(m)embers of the Quartet are committed
to working with Israel (a lawless rogue state), Egypt (its complicit ally),
and the international community to prevent 'illicit' trafficking of arms
and ammunition into Gaza...." In other words, Gazans have no right
to self-defense against an illegal occupier attacking them regularly.
- At the same time, a coalition of Israeli and Palestinian
organizations expressed strong Flotilla support, saying:
- Palestinians and Jews "declare our support for the
Gaza-bound Freedom Flotilla and its declared goals: to break the Israeli
siege on Gaza - both on the sea and land - which represents part of the
ongoing Israeli occupation. We denounce (Israel's) slanderous campaign
against (it and) call on (its) government and security forces to permit
the ships to enter Gaza and unload their humanitarian cargo in peace....We
(also) call on the government of Israel to immediately end the siege of
- The endorsing organizations include:
- Alternative Information Center (AIC)
- Coalition of Women for Peace
- Combatants for Peace
- Gush Shalom
- Israeli Committee against House Demolitions (ICAHD)
- New Profile
- Yesh Gvul
- On Independence Day eve, US Boat to Gaza/Audacity of
Hope participants Medea Benjamin, Ken Mayers, Paki Wieland, Kathy Kelly,
Ray McGovern, Helaine Meisler, Nic Abramson, and Carol Murry began an open-ended
fast in front of America's Athens embassy, after delivering an urgent letter
to officials inside that they "plan to sleep overnight outside (its)
gates," defying Washington's complicity with Israel.
- Following orders from Washington, however, Greek authorities
detained, then released them. Greece, of course, is now colonized by predatory
Western bankers, defying international law and rights of their people to
serve them. Moreover, when they, America and Israel make demands, the thuggish
Papandreou government salutes and obeys.
- Nonetheless, at 7PM Athens time (noon US EDT), along
with Greek activists, a march was held supporting the Flotilla. It demanded
freeing the US ship captain imprisoned unjustly since Friday and letting
all Flotilla ships sail.
- "This July 4, it's time for our government to declare
independence from Israel and start supporting its own citizens." Doing
less adds shamefully to America's legacy of disgrace.
- On July 3, Haaretz writer (and Flotilla participant)
Amira Hass headlined, "Gaza flotilla to set sail Monday (July 4) despite
numerous setbacks," saying:
- Participating vessels are ready to leave, "following
several days of deliberations on the subject, and the exact number (participating
still not known). In contrast to recent reports, most (on board) are still"
committed to pursue a just cause despite risking their safety.
- In fact, they protested Greek government actions, prohibiting
their departure indefinitely, accusing the Papandreou government "of
caving in to Israeli pressure."
- Whether or not they'll, in fact, be able to depart isn't
known. Pressure to deter them remains strong, notably from Obama officials
backing its rogue Israeli partner.
- Further updates will cover new developments. Despite
delays, intimidation and sabotage, participants are determined to press
- Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago and can be reached at
- Also visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com and
listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive
Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network Thursdays at 10AM US Central
time and Saturdays and Sundays at noon. All programs are archived for easy