- During and after 9/11 weekend, duplicitous echoes persist,
regurgitating official lies instead of full disclosure.
- A September 10 Wall Street Journal editorial headlined,
"The 9/11 Decade," recalling its 9/11/01 edition, saying:
- That Tuesday morning, "the World-Wide column of
The Wall Street Journal carried" violent incident reports in Istanbul,
Nigeria, the "menace" of global justice protests, and challenges
of various "urban-guerrila movement(s)."
- It's 9/12 edition covered what was too late to publish
the previous day.
- A personal note:
- I bought and saved it as a remembrance of that horrific
day. Headlined in large bold top of the page type, it said:
- "TERRORISTS DESTROY WORLD TRADE CENTER, HIT PENTAGON
IN RAID WITH HIJACKED JETS," followed by feature columns filling the
entire front page.
- They included:
- "Death Toll, Source of Devastating Attacks Remain
Unclear; US Vows Retaliation as Attention Focuses on bin Laden"
- "Nation Stands In Disbelief and Horror"
- "Hour of Horror Forever Alters American Lives"
- "US Airport Security Screening Long Seen as Dangerously
- "Attacks Raise Fears of a Recession"
- The entire edition concentrated heavily on what happened,
including feature op-eds and two editorials headlined:
- "A Terrorist Pearl Harbor," and
- "Civility Amidst Chaos"
- On December 8, 1941, Franklin Roosevelt addressed a joint
session of Congress, calling December 7 "a date which will live in
infamy (when) the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately
attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."
- On September 11, 2001, the United States of America willfully
and maliciously attacked itself, blaming others for its crime that augured
far worse ones to come.
- In fact, the neocon think tank Project for a New American
Century (PNAC - now the Foreign Policy Initiative) published an earlier
document titled, "Rebuilding America's Defenses: Strategies, Forces
and Resources for a New Century."
- Saying "America should seek to preserve and extend
its position of global leadership by maintaining the preeminence of US
military forces," it detailed an imperial scheme for US dominance
to extend well into the future, saying achieving it required "some
catastrophic and catalyzing event - like a new Pearl Harbor."
- Key PNAC members included Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld
and Paul Wolfowitz. As Bush administration members on 9/11, they got what
they wanted to wage permanent wars on humanity. Under Obama, they rage
out-of-control, and ahead may include general war.
- The Journal's September 10 editorial continued saying:
- By 9/11 evening, "it was clear that the threat of
Islamic terrorism was real, urgent and growing, and that it would require
from the Bush administration a serious and sustained response, both on
offense and defense."
- Fact check
- Muslims then and now pose no threat to America. In contrast,
America very much threatens them across North Africa, the Middle East,
Central Asia and dozens of other countries where thousands of US Special
Forces death squads are deployed to summarily kill and destroy.
- In other words, America's post-9/11 overseas "rules
of engagement" exclude due process, judicial fairness and fair trials.
Just a bullet, bomb, knife in the back, or slit throat, besides torture
and war on the world.
- The editorial claimed terrorists threaten America, saying
"(a) list recently compiled by the Heritage Foundation (an over-the-top
extremist neocon think tank) records 40 foiled plots since 9/11."
- Fact check
- In fact, none Heritage listed are true. Everyone charged
is innocent. All of them involve falsely accused Muslims.
- Post-9/11, America declared war on Islam.
- Ever since, innocent victims paid dearly, including five
principals of the largest Muslim charity in America (the Holy Land Foundation)
- indicted, convicted and imprisoned for doing the right thing.
- They were maliciously targeted for providing vitally
needed aid to the "wrong" needy families, Muslim families, besides
various other social services.
- Even lawyers defending the "wrong" Muslim clients
were targeted. Notably, Lynne Stewart, a heroic human rights champion,
for representing an innocent man Washington wanted imprisoned for life.
- For doing her job, she got 10 years in prison. Barring
an early release, clemency, or pardon, she'll be there until age 80. Given
her less than ideal health, she may never again embrace her loved ones.
- Lynne and others like her symbolize how America treats
its best, especially in a post-9/11 world!
- The Journal editorial was a wasteland of duplicitous
distortions and lies, including:
- -- calling "real torture" what "happens
to maimed victims of terrorist atrocities," omitting the horrors of
- -- claiming Obama ended enhanced interrogations and closed
down black sites, when, in fact, torture remains official US policy in
numerous prison hellholes;
- -- calling those accusing Bush administration officials
of trampling on civil liberties a "particularly vulgar partisan maneuver,"
when, in fact, America during his tenure became a police state, hardened
- -- saying America's wars on Afghanistan, Iraq and other
countries harboring Al Qaeda are justified when, in fact, all US wars are
lawless imperial aggression against nonbelligerent countries; and
- -- concluding by claiming "the first 9/11 decade
should, for all of the pain it has imposed, give us confidence that we
can see the battle through."
- Pogo got it right, saying "We have met the enemy
and he is us."
- Duplicity also shows up in New York Times articles, op-eds
and editorials, including another disgraceful September 10 9/11 one headlined,
"Loss and Hope," saying:
- "A decade later, we're still trying to understand,
looking back and looking ahead. It is not enough to simply remember and
- "People wanted to be enlarged, to be called on to
do more for country and community than ordinary life usually requires,
to make this senseless horror count for something."
- Fact check
- From that horrific day to now, political Washington and
major media scoundrels lied to Americans. They suppressed vital truths,
including about wars against nonbelligerent countries and innocent Muslims.
- Rogues US criminals were responsible for 9/11's "senseless
horror" that launched a decade of permanent wars Dick Cheney said
won't end in our lifetimes.
- Admitting that "we were drawn into a misdirected
war that has exacted enormous costs in lives and money," besides "taint(ing)....our
civic life....by a rise in xenophobia," the editorial concluded by
saying "(w)e are still learning about the events of 9/11."
- "Perhaps in time we will realize that the full meaning
of what happened on 9/11 resides in the surge of compassion and hope that
accompanied the shock and mourning of that September day."
- Fact check
- We know more than enough to name political Washington,
including the Pentagon and CIA responsible for state-sponsored criminality
that launched a decade of raging imperial wars.
- America's victims at home and abroad deserve compassion
and redress. Responsible culprits deserve lawful prosecution for a crime
that unleashed multiple others without end.
- But don't expect duplicitous media scoundrels to explain
or demand justice for 9/11's real victims. In the end, they may include
- Washington Post commentaries are no better, including
a September 9 editorial, updated on September 11 headlined, "Washington's
- "Innocent civilians - our friends, neighbors, family
members - paid a terrible price for (9/11's) murderous acts."
- Fact check
- Indeed so, but don't expect Post editorials or other
broadsheet opinion pieces to lay blame where it belongs.
- Saying innocent people died in New York, Washington,
and on hijacked planes, the editorial ignored America's crimes of war and
against humanity that continue taking millions of lives abroad and at home,
besides inflicting incalculable human misery.
- Calling the scope of 9/11 terrorism "unimaginable,"
dead, injured, occupied, and persecuted Muslims were out of sight and mind.
- Only America's pain matters, no matter how inflicted
- Despite "confusion and emotional trauma" on
9/11, "terrorists (were) denied....the victory they sought. And it
revealed a core of strength in our region that will prepare us for whatever
may come next."
- Fact check
- Home-grown state terrorists got precisely what they wanted,
even though unwinnable wars still rage in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- Another may continue for years in Libya and perhaps whatever
future countries Washington attacks. Others remain in its queue.
- America's core isn't strength. It's off-the-scale rogue
criminality, state terrorism too gruesome to imagine. Ask millions of global
victims. They'll explain.
- A Final Comment
- On September 10, the BBC quoted Obama saying 9/11 made
America stronger, adding:
- "As a resilient nation, we will carry on."
Al Qaeda is "on the path to defeat," but warnings say they're
behind new "credible but unconfirmed" threats to Americans.
- "Yes we face a determined foe, and make no mistake.
They will keep trying to hit us again. But as we are showing again this
weekend, we remain vigilant."
- Obama is a duplicitous scoundrel, a serial liar, and
war criminal, slaughtering innocent people in nations America wishes to
destroy, occupy and control.
- Ahead of America honoring its 9/11 victims, James Petras
headlined his new article, "NATO's War Crimes in Libya: Who Grieves
for the Fallen Heros," saying:
- Besides other countries America and NATO attacked and
occupy, they inflicted "systematic destruction (that) will cost Libya
at least a 'lost decade.' "
- In addition, "Sub-Sahara Africa will suffer"
without Gaddafi's proposed "Bank of Africa." If established,
it would have freed member nations from predatory international lending
agencies like the IMF and World Bank.
- Moreover, NATO repeatedly proves it's more adept "at
destroying than constructing a modern secular state rooted in a modern
civil bureaucracy, universal free public education, secular judicial system
and modern health services."
- Like Afghans and Iraqis, Libyans instead will get Washington-enforced
colonization, occupation, plunder and exploitation - that is, those still
alive when terror bombing ends to endure what's planned next for them.
- Petras accurately called NATO's destruction of Libya
"grotesque and criminal." When fighting stops slaughtering thousands,
Washington can claim another imperial trophy.
- With echoes of 9/11's commemoration still audible, Obama
and his NATO co-conspirators can revel in the carnage they caused.
- So can major media scoundrels that cheerled it all the
- Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago and can be reached at
- Also visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com and
listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive
Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network Thursdays at 10AM US Central
time and Saturdays and Sundays at noon. All programs are archived for easy