- A March 25 White House press release announced Obama's
planned March 28 national TV speech:
- "to update the American people on the situation
in Libya, including the actions we've taken with allies and partners to
protect the Libyan people from the brutality of Moammar Qaddafi, the transition
to NATO command and control, and our policy going forward."
- Imagine the hypocrisy. US-style "humanitarian intervention"
reigns death and destruction "to protect the Libyan people."
Recall how "shock and awe" protected Iraqis, how war on Afghanistan
helps Afghans and neighboring Pakistanis from predatory drone and ground
attacks. Libyans are now tasting imperial viciousness firsthand.
- In fact, all US wars are imperial, not humanitarian,
a long discredited propaganda ruse major media reports don't explain. Instead
they cheerlead for war no matter how lawless, mindless, destructive or
counterproductive, spreading malicious misinformation to justify intervention,
concealing or downplaying the fallout from all conflicts let alone why
- As a previous article explained, this one's for regime
change like others, to replace one despot with another, control the entire
Mediterranean Basin, colonize Libya, perhaps balkanize it, control its
oil, gas and other strategic resources, exploit its people, privatize state
industries, and establish new US bases for greater regional control.
- Gaddafi's Removal Planned in 2010
- On March 25, Voltairenet.org headlined, "French
plans to topple Gaddafi on track since last November," saying:
- "According to right-wing Italian journalist Franco
Bechis, plans to spark the Benghazi rebellion were initiated by French
intelligence services in November 2010." The progressive ComeDonChisciotte's
Miguel Martinez explained that Italy's secret services backed the effort.
- "Voltaire Network wishes to point out that Paris
promptly paired up with London in its scheme to overthrow Gaddafi (Franco-British
expeditionary force). This plan was recalibrated in the context of the
Arab revolutions," now controlled by Washington for its own purposes.
- Bechis explained the timeline from October 20, 2010 -
January 22, 2011, saying Nouri Mesmari, Gaddafi's chief of protocol, "turned
himself over to the French secret service, and according to the Italians,
he masterminded the revolution against Gaddafi. The document was leaked
to the Italian newspaper Libero."
- It explained that he revealed "inside information
about the regime as well as an account of who's who in Libya and who they
should or should not contact." As a result, "by mid-January the
French" were ready to begin ousting Gaddafi. The campaign began weeks
before the US-led NATO attack.
- On March 25, London Daily Mail Online writers David Williams,
Tim Shipman and Daily Mail Reporter said before bombing began "it
was revealed that hundreds of British special forces troops have been deployed
deep inside Libya targeting Colonel Gaddafi's forces - and more are on
- "While Chancellor George Osborne repeated that UK
ground troops would not be involved, the Daily Mail can reveal there are
an estimated 350 already mounting covert operations," along with US
Special Forces and Egyptian commandos.
- "It is understood that just under 250 UK special
forces soldiers and their support have been in Libya since before the launch
of air strikes to enforce the no-fly zone against Gaddafi's forces,"
but they arrived well before its imposition.
- Another 100 now supplement the original contingent, comprised
of Special Forces Support Group (SFSG) paratroopers. They're drawn from
SAS (Special Air Service) and SBS (Special Boat Service) personnel, re-supplied
by airdrops from Cyprus. Moreover, 800 Royal Marines "are on five
days' notice to deploy to the Mediterranean," a clear sign of impending
invasion with 4,000 US marines deployed nearby to join them.
- Libya's Rebel Opposition Forces: Democrats They're Not
- A London Telegraph Rob Crilly March 23 article headlined,
"Libya: it wasn't supposed to be like this in free Benghazi,"
- So-called rebels "took no chances. They put a knife
to the throat of (a) driver before hauling the three men and one woman
from (his) car, dragging them through the street into a nearby mosque for
a rough round of interrogation."
- Inside they were beaten until they admitted planning
an attack on the mosque, whether or not true. "It wasn't supposed
to be like this in free Benghazi....Rebel leaders admit that dozens of
Gaddafi supporters have been arrested or killed."
- Every night, vigilante gangs "mop up (suspected)
pro-Gaddafi elements." Foreign workers long ago fled the city. Most
refugees, in fact, are foreign workers, not Libyan nationals, what major
media reports don't explain.
- Under rebel control, Benghazi residents are terrorized,
many "too frightened to drive through the dark streets at night, fearing
a shakedown or worse at the proliferating checkpoints." One man said
unless they know you, they assume you're pro-Gaddafi.
- Moreover, about 1.5 million black African migrant workers
feel trapped under suspicion of supporting the wrong side. Numbers of them
have been attacked, some hunted down, dragged from apartments, beaten and
killed. So-called "revolutionaries" and "freedom fighters"
are, in fact, rampaging gunmen committing atrocities airbrushed from mainstream
reports, unwilling to reveal the new Libya if Gaddafi is deposed.
- In his latest article, Webster Tarpley supplied more
information headlining, "The CIA's Libya Rebels: The Same Terrorists
who Killed US NATO Troops in Iraq," saying:
- Already France and Portugal recognized anti-Gaddafi rebels
"as the sole legitimate representative of the Libyan people."
The names of most of their 30 + delegates aren't revealed. Opposition elements
are an armed force, backed by Washington, France and Britain, the main
- A 2007 West Point study examined their backgrounds as
"foreign guerrilla fighters - jihadis or mujahedin, including suicide
bombers - crossing the Syrian border into Iraq during the 2006 - 2007 timeframe,
under the auspices of....Al Qaeda."
- Study findings are based on about 600 Al Qaeda captured
personnel files by US forces in 2007. Most came from Saudi Arabia, others
from Syria, Yemen, Algeria, Morocco, Jordan, and Libya alone supplying
almost one-fifth of them, more per capita by far than other regional states.
Diverted now from fighting America in Iraq, they were recruited, armed
and funded to oust Gaddafi.
- A previous article discussed their National Libyan Council
leadership, a so-called "transitional government," accessed through
the following link:
- Tarpley believes the Harabi tribe may be trying "to
seize dominance over the" others. "The Harabi are already practically
hegemonic among the tribes of Cyrenaica (Libya's eastern coastal region).
At the center of the Harabi Confederation is the Obeidat tribe, which is
divided into 15 sub-tribes." Harabi apparently has links to violent
elements in Benghazi. They're former US enemies, now allies against Gaddafi
to oust him.
- However, that begs the question. Will forces opposing
US dominance, acquiesce once its imperial hand is evident, or will they
resist later the way they're now doing. It's a consideration perhaps not
planned for in Washington, London and Paris. In the fullness of time we'll
know, including whether imperial forces unleashed a tiger they can't control.
- Yet Council on Foreign Relations' (CFR) member Charles
Kupchan told IPS, "(T)he six million dollar question is where is this
heading and I don't think we have a clear sense of it."
- As he knows but didn't say, of course we do. It's not
humanitarian as he states. It's to terrorize Libyans until Gaddadi's ousted,
then toughen things when he's gone as in Iraq and Afghanistan to assure
Washington's hegemonic control. Allied with junior partners Britain and
France, they'll carve up Libya for profit, crushing resistance mercilessly.
It's how America operates globally, including at home where democracy is
just a figure of speech, not reality.
- Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago and can be reached at
email@example.com. Also visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com
and listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the
Progressive Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network Thursdays
at 10AM US Central time and Saturdays and Sundays at noon. All programs
are archived for easy listening.