- You all remember Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Arizona , who
painted the jail cells pink and made the inmates wear pink prison garb.
- SHERIFF JOE IS AT IT AGAIN!
- Oh, there's MUCH more to know about Sheriff Joe!
- Maricopa County was spending approx. $18 million dollars
a year on stray animals, like cats and dogs.. Sheriff Joe offered to take
the department over, and the County Supervisors said okay.
- The animal shelters are now all staffed and operated
by prisoners. They feed and care for the strays. Every animal in his care
is taken out and walked twice daily. He now has prisoners who are experts
in animal nutrition and behavior. They give great classes for anyone who'd
like to adopt an animal. He has literally taken stray dogs off the street,
given them to the care of prisoners, and had them place in dog shows.
- The best part? His budget for the entire department is
now under $3 million. Teresa and I adopted a Weimaraner from a Maricopa
County shelter two years ago. He was neutered, and current on all shots,
in great health, and even had a microchip inserted the day we got him.
Cost us $78.
- The prisoners get the benefit of about $0.28 an hour
for working, but most would work for free, just to be out of their cells
for the day. Most of his budget is for utilities, building maintenance,
etc. He pays the prisoners out of the fees collected for adopted animals.
- I have long wondered when the rest of the country would
take a look at the way he runs the jail system, and copy some of his ideas.
He has a huge farm, donated to the county years ago, where inmates can
work, and they grow most of their own fresh vegetables and food, doing
all the work and harvesting by hand..
- He has a pretty good sized hog farm, which provides meat,
and fertilizer. It fertilizes the Christmas tree nursery, where prisoners
work, and you can buy a living Christmas tree for $6 - $8 for the Holidays,
and plant it later. We have six trees in our yard from the Prison.
- Yup, he was reelected last year with 83% of the vote.
- Now he's in trouble with the ACLU again. He painted all
his buses and vehicles with a mural, that has a special hotline phone number
painted on it, where you can call and report suspected illegal aliens.
- Immigrations and Customs Enforcement wasn't doing enough
in his eyes, so he had 40 deputies trained specifically for enforcing immigration
laws, started up his hotline, and bought 4 new buses just for hauling folks
back to the border. He's kind of a 'Git-R Dun' kind of S heriff.
- TO THOSE OF YOU NOT FAMILIAR WITH JOE ARPAIO
- HE IS THE MARICOPA ARIZONA COUNTY SHERIFF
- AND HE KEEPS GETTING ELECTED OVER AND OVER
- THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY:
- Sheriff Joe Arpaio (In Arizona ) who created the 'Tent
- He has jail meals down to 40 cents a serving and charges
the inmates for them.