- You hear all the time from dieticians how a peanut butter
& jelly sandwich on whole wheat is a healthful -high protein- lunch
for your kids.
- Yeah... well... I think that is complete crap. In fact,
I think a PB & J sandwich -even with whole wheat bread- unless done
correctly, is one of the most unhealthful dishes you can foist onto your
- It's right up there alongside kids B'fast Cereal "Sugar-Coated
Sugar-POPS" with milk & more sugar... or snacky-cakes and cheezy
poofs... ...and insult on top of injury? Forgetting it can turn your children
into churlish losers and ready Columbine candidates, convenience for Mom
is likely the main motivation for its ubiquitous consumption!
- This "high protein ruse" perpetrated by your
understandably biased PB & J celebrants regards the fairly large 21%
GLUTEN protein in bread and the respectable 13% veggie protein in P'nut
- Consequently, these are readily touted as healthful foodstuffs.
- Well, let's look at the abundant shortfalls associated
with these food articles -including jelly- before we finish up this piece
with my own completely healthful Jam and Nut Butter alternatives.
- FYI - Protein has an optimum Amino-Acid Profile. Any
missing or low amino-acids (AA's) either make it an "Incomplete"
protein or a "weak" protein limiting the proteins ability to
manufacture tissue, etc.
- An "Amino-Acid Score" (AAS) of 100 or more
means it is a "Complete" protein, containing all 11 "Essential"
Amino-Acids. Scores up in the 130's or 140's are usually reserved for
animal-derived proteins, although a couple of seeds, like pumpkinseed,
make it up to those high numbers...however the vast majority of veggie
proteins are below 100 or "incomplete" proteins.
- 1).. Bread - I say again: Homo Erectus was never meant
or otherwise designed to eat hi-gluten hard grains like wheat, barley &
- For a million years the "hunter-gatherers"
on the Serengetti never baked a loaf of bread.
- Gluten Protein is the most troublesome and difficult
to digest form of protein. Consequently, if undigested gluten (facilitated
by a lack of stomach-acid) makes its way deep down into the gut, your body
might mistake it for a "foreign-Invader" and release antibodies
that attack you while trying to attack it. This leads to joint pain or
an even worse autoimmune response.
- There is even a very common bowel disease, Celiac Disease,
featuring a total intolerance to gluten. Though, even if you don't have
Celiac Disease, gluten grains just don't sit well with many people.
- Seriously, suffering gas & mild bowel distress while
consuming bread and cereal all their lives, millions are thinking that's
just the way things are because that's the way things have always been.
They also thought their underwear was supposed to look like the mud-flaps
on a swamp buggy, eh?
- Ironic how "The Staff of Life" can kill you.
- FYI - Hi-Gluten rice contains NO GLUTEN... in this context
it just means "Sticky" or glutinous.
- Additionally, all gluten breads contain an "Incomplete"
protein where the amino-acid Lysine is either low, or very low, resulting
in AAS's which are, mostly, down around a weak 50 or 60!
- For example, rye is 54 - white bread is 52 - oat bran
jumps up to 71... ...but guess which bread is a breathtaking LOW score
of 22, and not only low in Lysine but in 6 other essential Amino-Acids...
that's right! Commercial Whole-Wheat Bread! There's some irony to rip
your lips off!
- Wheat, barley & rye are also very high in 2 harmful
substances called Phytates & Oxalates. These bind to minerals like
Calcium & Zinc and sequester them from the body's use. Many if not
most veggies have some P & O's but the 3 that are very high are Soy,
Spinach & Grains (wheat, barley & rye).
- TransFat Evils -
- Most Bread contains the surreally evil TranFat, which
is the man-made, solid Fat pHVO (partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil)...
the decried crap found in "fake" butter, (Margarine) or "fake"
lard, (Vegetable Shortening) like Crisco. Oh yeah, and in virtually every
commercial baked or snack food on the market, remember!
- This man-made and twisted (both figuratively & literally)
TransFat molecule is readily incorporated into the cell-wall of every cell
in your body as I've reported before. Consequently, the potential to cause
or exacerbate every disease... and I mean EVERY disease, is the dire payoff!
Go find some obscure disease and I will show you how Crisco will make
it worse... I'm willing to make a small wager, reader.
- All these negative things above apply to either Whole-Wheat
bread or the refined white Crap. The real advantage to the Whole-Wheat
is that it won't cause -as bad- a rise in inflammation and fat causing
insulin as the refined, white flour.
- Our increased dependence on processed, refined carbohydrates
(carbs) has shown a corresponding rise in virtually all chronic diseases
to include a handful of "New" 20th Century diseases like Fibromyalgia
or the Metabolic Syndrome.
- FYI -Yams, Potatoes, Rice, Bananas & Butternut Squash
may be fairly high carb foods BUT they are "Real" food...Bread,
Cereal & Pasta are "Fake" processed-refined, Carbohydrate
- 2).. Peanut Butter - a major portion of PB is fat at
71%. This would be OK if 32% of the total fat was not more crap that we
want to get out of our lives, "NO, I DON'T MEAN SATURATED FAT"...I
mean the kind of "Golden Liquid Oil" you likely have in your
pantry, lurking right now, in the form of Vegetable & Seed Oils like
Corn, Soy, Grapeseed, Safflower & several other TOXIC food oils, to
include Canola oil to a slightly lesser degree...
- These are called Omega-6, PolyUnsat Food oils, LA (linoleic
- Yes, I know LA is a necessary EFA (Essential Fatty Acid),
which is how Sociopaths trick people into thinking you want a lot of it...
NO, NO, NO, you only need a moderate amount, reader, but it is found naturally
in every food! Over doing Omega-6, LA is very easy to do and is a major
cause of heart disease, cancer, and thyroid disease.
- Don't confuse Omega-6, PolyUnsat Food Oil with healthful
Omega-9, MonoUnsat Food Oils, like Olive Oil & Macadamia Nut oil.
- Also, unlike many, I refuse to refer to P'nut Oil &
Canola Oil as Mono Oils even though they have more Mono (at 48 & 56%
Mono) than Poly (at 32 & 30 Poly). That is because it has too much
Poly & it is the Poly portion that will kill you eventually... compared
to the negligible Poly & High Mono of Olive Oil at 76% Mono & only
8% Poly...Macadamia Nut is even better with Mono Oil as high as 85% and
Poly as low as 5%.
- Furthermore, it is worth repeating, don't confuse unhealthful
PolyUnsat Oil in P'Nut Oil with HEALTHFUL solid Saturated Fat (SatFat),
also found in P'nut Oil. As long as the SatFat is not Oxidized or otherwise
damaged, it is GOOD for you...
- Let me be clear! I'm talking about Mother-Nature's SatFat
found naturally in all food oils, like P'Nut Oil at around 15% SatFat,
NOT the "Fake" SatFat (pHVO) that "The Man" adds to
P'nut Butter to keep the P'nut Oil from floating to the top.
- Regarding Omega-6, too much Omega-6 (LA) along with too
little Omega-3 (ALA) results in an "Out of Whack" EFA Ratio of
a heart-stopping proportion of 20 or even 30 to 1 we've talked about before.
The EFA (Essential Fatty Acid) Ratio should be 4 to 1... or less. For
every increase above 4 to 1 the death rate goes up.
- BTW, that's 4 (Omega-6) to 1 (Omega-3)! Keep in mind,
though, it is even better to have a 1 to 1 Ratio, like that found in a
culture eating lots of cold water fish, especially if they have never seen
a jar of polyunsat Vegetable/Seed oil like Soy or Canola.
- Our lives, being inundated with all this ubiquitous Omega-6
(LA) in Poly Vegetable food oils & processed foods, will also "over-power"
& block the utilization of the other much needed EFA, Omega-3, ALA
(Alpha linolenic Acid) found in Flaxseed, Ghia-seed, Hempseed & green
- FYI - The prestigious British medical journal, "Lancet",
in 1992 published data showing that 75% of the stuff clogging your arteries
was not cholesterol... but was OXIDIZED PolyUnsat Vegetable/Seed Food Oil!
- Of course, all those "Wacky" Holistic "doctors"
had been saying that years... and they still do, BUT you NEVER hear a "Medical
Doctor" say it. No, in fact the MD will tell you beautiful golden
Soy or Corn Oil is good for your heart & that cholesterol & SatFat
is the real problem.
- Folks, there are plenty of Eskimos eating whale Blubber
with a total cholesterol over 300 who have under no circumstances even
seen a bottle of Corn Oil, and they will never have a heart attack or stroke
while outliving all of us.
- P'nut Butter also has a very "incomplete" protein
at a low Amino-Acid Score of 52. This falls well below the desired "complete"
protein score of 100. It is low in 3 essential AA's but very low in Lysine...which
is "piling-on" considering the Whole Wheat bread is also extremely
low in Lysine!
- This is important because if you can mix two "incomplete"
protein foods together that are extremely low in 2 different AA's, by mixing
the 2, you get an overlap, so now you have a "complete" protein.
- The classic example is the protein overlap of "Beans
& Rice" to make a "complete" protein.
- Now "Beans & Rice" may be "complete"
but unfortunately it is still a "weak" protein because if you
"stack" the 2 profiles together there will be 2 deep "dips"
in the AA profile where the previously 2 missing AA's are filled in only
a little bit due to the overlap. Though "complete," the effectiveness
of the protein is still deficient.
- However if both sources are low in the SAME Amino-Acid
(like Bread & P'nuts are both missing Lysine) then that creates a serious
"bottle-neck" for producing useful, "complete" proteins.
- TransFat or pHVO (partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil)
- Virtually all PB -where the oil does NOT separate &
float to the top of the jar- has the #1 man-made food abomination of the
20th century, TransFat from pHVO, providing the "fake" solid
fat keeping the P'nut oil from separating & floating to the top.
- So, with both Bread AND P'Nut Butter containing pHVO
you get a double dose of poison. "Choosy Mothers, Choose JIF!"
- FYI - the natural P'nut Butter where the oil separates
& floats to the top is MUCH healthier (No TransFat), and is easily
made even more healthful by pouring off the P'nut oil on top, and stirring
in either unrefined Coconut Oil or Olive Oil.
- Now if you, like many people, (even after you've been
warned about TransFat) hate this oil floating to the top so much &
it is such a pain to stir the oil back in that you would continue to buy
P'nut Butter with toxic pHVO... then please stop reading right now - go
back to watching "reality TV" because you are an idiot... Hasta
la vista, Bonehead! No, really! Step off!
- OK, moving on - All the cheap PB has copious amounts
of pHVO, but don't be fooled by the bigger name brand labels that shout
"Zero TranFat." Your blessed Government (FDA in this instance)
allows any foods having less than 1/2 gram of TransFat per serving as having
"Zero TransFat" ...so if the serving size is very small -like
PB or margarine- then that nearly half gram of toxic TransFat looms large.
There is NO "safe amount" of pHVO.
- BTW - That nearly half gram is just enough solid "fake
fat" to keep the oil from separating. Gee, that's wonderful, eh?
- 3).. Jelly - Every individual has to come to terms with
the reality that Sugar, Fructose & toxic artificial sweeteners are
health hazards & need to be severely reduced or eliminated. Replace
them with Stevia, Xylitol or Honey.
- a).. Most jelly & jam has way too much SUGAR increasing
INSULIN resulting in:
- -- Type II Diabetes (a completely avoidable disease).
- -- Obesity (too much insulin & "weak" insulin
makes you fat)
- -- Inflammation (insulin activates the D5D Enzyme that
can lead to an increase in inflammation, platelet-stickiness & High
- b).. The "sugar-free" Jellies & Jams have
harmful artificial sweeteners SPLENDA & EQUAL resulting in :
- -- Free-Radical damage. A conservative estimate is 15%
of the man-made Chlorocarbons that is Splenda are metabolized to release
the dangerously toxic Chlorine molecule causing disease & premature
- -- Excitotoxins in Equal literally destroy brain cells
while creating jumpy, "squirrelly" kids with an affinity for
assault weapons and black trench coats.
- c).. The "Natural all Fruit" kind has too much
sugar & FRUCTOSE from sugary, cheap, concentrated grape juice that
is as bad if not worse than just adding table sugar... resulting in :
- -- Fructose Induced Insulin Resistance leading to Type
- -- Triglycerides & LDL (bad) cholesterol increase
leading to heart disease.
- -- VLDL (very low density lipoproteins) increase leading
to heart disease.
- -- Blood Pressure increases.
- Healthful and better tasting Alternatives to the above:
- 1.. Bread - try a Sprouted Hemp bread or a "Gluten-Free"
bread, pizza crust, rolls, etc. French Meadow makes a good Gluten-Free
Multi grain bread. Also there are numerous gluten-free bread mixes on
- 2.. Jam - If you are a good mother you will make homemade
Jam for your kids... just kidding about the "good Mom" thing,
I know you're busy... but believe me when I tell you making homemade jam
is easy, fast, and unbelievably tasty, forgetting healthful!
- To start, just blend some strawberries or other berries
- add some sweetener (Stevia, Xylitol or honey in any combination... I
use stevia with a little Xylitol). I also throw in a splash of fresh lemon
juice, then boil down to a thickness just short of how thick you think
it should be then it will finish getting thicker in the frig.
- If you use dried fruit like apricots, you must add water
to blend & then turn around and slowly boil off the water added.
- Also, you can use Apple-pectin to thicken cooked fruit.
It gives a great, but subtle, apple flavor... but pectin is not really
necessary. I know all the "purists" are sputtering that you
HAVE to use pectin...ahh, OK have it your way.
- Don't be confused, reader! This is for small batches
of jam that you will eat within a few days. We're NOT "canning"
- That activity requires all that bottle sterilization,
- Try this & you will throw out that insipidly-sweet
grocery store crap... which is not to say you can't make your Jam really
sweet if you want - but even if you do it will still taste fresh &
very "fruity." Additionally, you will feel good knowing you
are using a sweetener, like Stevia, which doesn't kill you with copious
insulin inflammation & avoidable obesity.
- 3.. Peanut Butter Substitute - much like with the homemade
jam...be prepared to turn up your nose at store bought peanut butter once
you have tried my homemade Pistachio Nut Butter. You need a food processor.
- Put a cup or two of dry-roasted Pistachios (I guess you
could shell them but I buy the already shelled kind at Wally-World)
- FYI - never buy any nuts roasted with oil to make the
salt stick & to give the nut a richer taste! These contain the abomination
Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil or some other pHVO Poly Oil. Pistachios are
usually Oil-Free but, by way of example, Cashews come both Oiled &
Truely "Dry-Roasted" with NO oil or pHVO.
- -- put in some Stevia to taste & then process for
a couple of minutes.
- -- AFTER you process the nuts, as an OPTION, grind a
couple of tablespoons of Flaxseed in a coffee grinder & throw that
in. The food processor won't grind the flaxseed properly, so you must use
a coffee-grinder, first.
- The Flaxseed not only provides the BEST soluble/insoluble
Fiber found in nature and a huge dose of plant-derived Omega-3 (ALA) but
it actually tones down and mellows out the taste of the Pistachios.
- -- Lastly, start your processor & slowly drizzle
in Olive Oil and/or, my favorite, Coconut Oil. You need to be careful
to not use too much oil if you want it firm enough for a sandwich, however,
I don't eat bread so generally I use more oil to make it slightly runny
to easily eat with a spoon.
- Oh yeah, look at the Amino-Acid Score's for the protein
in Pistachio's & Flaxseed compared to Peanut's anemic Amino-Acid Score
of 52 . Where Pistachio's are 110 (excellent "complete" protein
Score) & Flaxseed is 92 (very close to "complete" AAS of
- "WARNING"...if you try this Nut Butter, be
prepared to become so addicted that relationships could be ruined! Moreover,
the guilt is palpable when you eat the whole bowl, especially after promising
yourself that you are going to save half for later. OK, you've been warned.
- Hey, maybe you won't change all 3 of the items above
but it would be a huge step if you just buy Natural P'nut Butter &
throw out the oil floating on top & replace it with Extra-Virgin Olive
- And instead of going full-tilt to a gluten-free bread,
(some don't like the slightly earthier taste) try French Meadow hemp bread
that has SOME wheat & gluten... but a whole lot less gluten because
of the many other ingredients like dates, seeds, spouts & a dozen other
- Then, lastly, you might go to the trouble of making Pistachio
Nut Butter... but remember the warning. Remember too: doing it the old,
store bought way, you have:
- -- TransFat & PolyUnsaturated oil stopping your heart...--
Phytates & Oxalates robbing you of minerals...
- -- Gluten Protein causing bowel distress...
- -- Sugar & Fructose induced Insulin inflammation
- -- 2 very weak "incomplete" protein sources...
- Come on folks, knock it up a notch or three... "For
the sake of the children" ...Geez, you hear that so much it becomes
meaningless, but it's them we were talking about, right? You can feed
them something healthful, reader, or you can slow poison them, undercut
their potential for achievement, and give them habits to shorten their
lives while it ruins the quality of same. Your choice, eh?
- Alan Graham
- That's enough. Well be.