- MSG hides behind 25 or more names, such as "Natural
Flavoring". MSG is even in your favourite coffee from Tim Horton's
and Starbucks coffee shops.
- I wondered if there could be an actual chemical causing
the massive obesity epidemic, and so did a friend of mine, John Erb. He
was a research assistant at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada,
and spent years working for the government. He made an amazing discovery
while going through scientific journals for a book he was writing called
"The Slow Poisoning of America".
- In hundreds of studies around the world, scientists
were creating obese mice and rats to use in diet or diabetes test studies.
No strain of rat or mice is naturally obese, so scientists have to create
them. They make these creatures morbidly obese by injecting them with
MSG when they are first born.
- The MSG triples the amount of insulin the pancreas creates,
causing rats (and perhaps humans) to become obese. They even have a name
for the fat rodents they create: 'MSG-Treated Rats.'
- When I heard this, I was shocked. I went into my kitchen
and checked the cupboards and the refrigerator. MSG was in everything
-- the Campbell's soups, the Hostess Doritos, the Lays flavoured potato
chips, Top Ramen, Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper, Heinz canned gravy, Swanson
frozen prepared meals, and Kraft salad dressings, especially the 'healthy
low-fat' ones. The items that didn't have MSG marked on the product label
had something called 'Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein,' which is just another
name for Monosodium Glutamate.
- It was shocking to see just how many of the foods we
feed our children everyday are filled with this stuff. MSG is hidden under
many different names in order to fool those who read the ingredient list,
so that they don't catch on. (Other names for MSG are 'Accent, 'Aginomoto,
'Natural Meat Tenderiser,' etc.) But it didn't stop there.
- When our family went out to eat, we started asking at
the restaurants what menu items contained MSG. Many employees, even the
managers, swore they didn't use MSG. But when we ask for the ingredient
list, which they grudgingly provided, sure enough, MSG and Hydrolysed Vegetable
Protein were everywhere.
- Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, every restaurant
-- even the sit-down eateries like TGIF, Chili's, Applebee's, and Denny's
-- use MSG in abundance. Kentucky Fried Chicken seemed to be the WORST
offender: MSG was in every chicken dish, salad dressing and gravy. No
wonder I loved to eat that coating on the skin -- their secret spice was
- So why is MSG in so many of the foods we eat? Is it a
preservative, or a vitamin?
- Not according to my friend John Erb. In his book "The
Slow Poisoning of America", he said that MSG is added to food for
the addictive effect it has on the human body.
- Even the propaganda website sponsored by the food manufacturers
lobby group supporting MSG explains that the reason they add it to food
is to make people eat more.
- A study of the elderly showed that older people eat more
of the foods that it is added to. The Glutamate Association lobbying group
says eating more is a benefit to the elderly, but what does it do to the
rest of us?
- 'Betcha can't eat [just] one,' takes on a whole new meaning
where MSG is concerned! And we wonder why the nation is overweight!
- MSG manufacturers themselves admit that it addicts people
to their products. It makes people choose their product over others, and
makes people eat more of it than they would if MSG wasn't added. Not only
is MSG scientifically proven to cause obesity, it is an addictive substance.
- Since its introduction into the American food supply
fifty years ago, MSG has been added in larger and larger doses to the pre-packaged
meals, soups, snacks, and fast foods we are tempted to eat everyday.
- The FDA has set no limits on how much of it can be added
to food. They claim it's safe to eat in any amount. But how can they
claim it's safe when there are hundreds of scientific studies with titles
- ''The monosodium glutamate (MSG) obese rat as a model
for the study of exercise in obesity.'' Gobatto CA, Mello MA, Souza CT,
Ribeiro IA. Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol. 2002.
- ''Adrenalectomy abolishes the food-induced hypothalamic
serotonin release in both normal and monosodium glutamate-obese rats.''
- Guimaraes RB, Telles MM, Coelho VB, Mori C, Nascimento
CM, Ribeiro. Brain Res Bull. 2002 Aug.
- ''Obesity induced by neonatal monosodium glutamate treatment
in spontaneously hypertensive rats: An animal model of multiple risk factors."
Iwase M, Yamamoto M, Iino K, Apparatchik K, Maraschinos N, Seminarians
Fujishima Hyper tens Res. 1998 Mar.
- ''Hypothalamic lesion induced by injection of monosodium
glutamate in suckling period and subsequent development of obesity.''
Tanaka K, Chimaera M, Nakamura K Kusunoki. Exp Neural. 1978 Oct.
- (Hypothalamic dysfunction is a problem with the region
of the brain called the hypothalamus, which helps control the pituitary
gland and regulate many body functions, particularly in response to stress.
The pituitary, in turn, controls the:
- *Adrenal glands,
- *Thyroid gland
- No, the date of that last study was not a typo; it was
published in 1978. Both the ''medical research community'' and ''food
manufacturers'' have known about the side effects of MSG for decades.
- Many more of the studies mentioned in John Erb's book
link MSG to diabetes, migraines and headaches, autism, ADHD, and even Alzheimer's.
- So what can we do to stop the food manufactures from
dumping this fattening and addictive MSG into our food supply and causing
the obesity epidemic we now see?
- Several months ago, John Erb took his book and his concerns
to one of the highest government health officials in Canada. While he
was sitting in the government office, the official told him, 'Sure, I know
how bad MSG is. I wouldn't touch the stuff.' But this top-level government
official refuses to tell the public what he knows.
- The big media doesn't want to tell the public either,
fearing issues with their advertisers. It seems that the fallout on the
fast food industry may hurt their profit margin. The food producers and
restaurants have been addicting us to their products for years, and now
we are paying the price for it. Our children should not be cursed with
obesity caused by an addictive food additive.
- But what can I do about it? I'm just one voice! What
can I do to stop the poisoning of our children, while our governments are
insuring financial protection for the industry that is poisoning us?
- This message is going out to everyone I know in an attempt
to tell you the truth that the corporate-owned politicians and media won't
- The best way you can help to save yourself and your children
from this drug-induced epidemic is to forward this article to everyone.
With any luck, it will circle the globe before politicians can pass the
legislation protecting those who are poisoning us.
- The food industry learned a lot from the tobacco industry.
Imagine if big tobacco had a bill like this in place before someone blew
the whistle on nicotine?
- If you are one of the few who can still believe that
MSG is good for us and you don't believe what John Erb has to say, see
for yourself. Go to the National Library of Medicine at <http://www.pubmed.com>www.pubmed.com.
Type in the words 'MSG Obese' and read a few of the 115 medical studies
- We the public do not want to be rats in one giant experiment,
and we do not approve of food that makes us into a nation of obese, lethargic,
addicted sheep, feeding the food industry's bottom line while waiting for
the heart transplant, the diabetic induced amputation, blindness, or other
obesity-induced, life-threatening disorders.
- With your help we can put an end to this poison. Do
your part in sending this message out by word of mouth, e-mail, or by distribution
of this printout to your friends all over the world and stop this 'Slow
Poisoning of Mankind' by the packaged food industry.
- Blowing the whistle on MSG is our responsibility, so
get the word out.