- This spring, President Obama warned Congress that two
things would cause him to veto the 2010 military appropriations bill. He
would veto if funding was given for seven to twelve F-22 Raptor jets, or
if $2 billion were authorized to develop extra engines for F-35 jet fighters.
Congressional advocates say the backup engines are needed in case F-35
engines develop problems in time of war.
- Last month, primarily to save the hate crimes amendment
attached to the defense authorization bill, the Democrat Senate gave Obama
what he wanted. They approved a defense/hate bill package guaranteed to
- Yet the threat of an Obama veto is not over. Last week's
CQ Today (Aug. 12, "Inouye Ignores Veto Threat Against F-35 Engine
- In a rebuff to President Obama, the chairman of the Senate
Appropriations Committee and its Defense Subcommittee says he will support
continued funding of the second engine for the F-35, the newest US fighter
- Daniel K. Inouye, D-Hawaii, disclosed in a brief interview
that when his committee writes the defense bill in September, he will back
continued development of the competitive engine, as he has in the past,
"Because," he said, "it makes good sense."
- Further, CQ says, "When the final version of that
measure is written, Inouye will be joined in supporting the second engine
by his House counterpart, John P. Murtha, D-Pennsylvania." (Rep. Murtha
is a member of the House Appropriations Committee and chair of its Defense
- Obama's threat to veto an arms bill is his first veto
threat to Congress. It is a power struggle no President can afford to lose.
Inouye and Murtha are powerful policy shapers in the Senate and House as
well as gatekeepers of military spending. If their resolve to defy Obama
hardens during conference between Senate and House in September, there
is a real possibility that the finalized military appropriations bill,
with hate crimes bill attached, could be vetoed. The hate bill would be
destroyed and probably not resurrected in this Congress.
- We Can Help Kill the Hate Bill!
- The best way to assist veto of the defense/hate bill
combination is to revive grassroots protest of the hate bill. We must convince
Obama and Democrats in Congress that Americans hate the hate bill. They
must know that Obama's signature will result in even more town hall-style
outrage against Democrats--and certain revenge in midterm elections next
- Here's how you can help the Democrats destroy their own
- 1. Protest the hate bill loudly at town hall meetings.
(<http://www.frcaction.org/townhalls>Family Research Council lists
upcoming town halls in your area.) Attend, armed with powerfully indicting
questions contained in my latest e-alert at <http://www.truthtellers.org/>Truthtellers.org.
Hate Bill at Town Hall Meetings!) Also carry simple "Stop Hate Bill"
- 2. Fax the President at 1-202-456-2461 with this statement,
"We will never forgive or forget if you sign the freedom-stealing,
pedophile-protecting hate bill." (The toll-free number to the President's
comment line, 1-202-456-1111, is almost constantly busy as a result of
- 3. Call your two Senators and House member with this
message, "Please support Sen. Inouye and Rep. Murtha in funding extra
engines for the F-35 fighter in the defense bill." (Names available
on the action page at<http://www.truthtellers.org/> www.truthtellers.org.)
- Turning Point in History
- President Obama promised to sign the hate bill but also
vowed to veto a defense/hate bill package that would spend an extra $2
billion on F-35 engines. We must demonstrate this summer and early fall
with powerful words and actions that signing the hate bill will further
provoke an already outraged conservative America. If this happens, Democrats
may see the hate bill as counterproductive. They might destroy their own
hate bill, as happened in the previous Congress.
- This is a pivotal moment when freedom might once more
be snatched from the jaws of destruction. Every Christian/conservative
leadership group and every lover of freedom should join together to reinvigorate
hate bill protest. We must show Obama and the Democrats what is so effectively
communicated by town hall meetings nationwide:
- Our capacity for revenge --We will remember next November!
- View and Download the Flyer
- Let the Anti-Defamation League teach you how they have
saddled 45 states with hate laws capable of persecuting Christians, and
spearhead attempts to pass the federal hate crimes bill: http://www.adl.org/99hatecrime/intro.asp.
- TALK SHOW HOSTS: Interview Rev. Ted Pike on this subject.
Call (503) 631-3808.
- The freedom-saving outreach of Rev. Ted Pike and the
National Prayer Network is solely supported by sale of books, videos and
your financial support. All gifts are tax-deductible.
- NATIONAL PRAYER NETWORK, P.O. Box 828, Clackamas, OR
- [To unsubscribe from this list, reply with "unsubscribe"
in the subject field.]