- Fifty two years ago, on June 24th, 1947, Kenneth Arnold
saw five objects that he described as "skipping like saucers over
water" in the skies over Washington State. The rest is history.
- Let us not forget that UFO activity was already beginning
to occur elsewhere in the world, and this newspaper article from Chile,
courtesy of our friend Raul Núñez at the IIEE, is a good
- A FLYING DISK OVER SANTIAGO: SEEN FLYING OVER LOS CERRILLOS
- Mr. Gillermo de la Cerda Simonot, a former civilian officer
of the Fleet, states that a shining, silvery and oval-shaped object"
appeared before his eyes for ten minutes at noon yesterday.
- A flying disk remained stationary for at least ten minutes
over the Los Cerrillos airport, at least ten kilometers from the Plaza
de Armas, at the very same time that the population of Santiago left its
offices and workshops to go off to lunch. The object was seen by Guillermo
de la Cerda Simonot, master mechanic of a small bus line, and whose background
as a former civilian officer of the Fleet for 30 years, knowledgeable about
machinery and vehicles, is a serene, creditworthy individual with good
- LIGHT REFLECTED AT NOON
- It was noon when Guillermo de la Cerda, son of the known
racehorse owner of the same name, was returning along the Maipú
road after having made repairs to a damaged bus. He was wearing sunglasses,
which allowed him to face the sun. Suddenly, only a few centimeters over
the horizon, he saw something that shined "like the reflection of
an airplane's wings when the sun strikes them". He said nothing to
his escort, an assistant mechanic of the same bus line, and he continued
looking at the object, which remained stationary.
- A SILVERY, SHINING DISK
- Finally, convinced that it could not be an airplane,
he stopped the bus and got off t for a better look. It was an oval, silvery
object, similar to the ones described in newswires regarding "flying
saucers". He believed that he could see portholes along its edges,
but was uncertain. "I don't want to say something that I didn't say
with certainty," he added. His companion saw the same thing as he.
- A fiew minutes later, the oval, silvery and brilliant
object vanished behind the trees and out of sight.
- A "flying disk"? A hallucination? Everything
suggests the former. Chile appears to hav been visited by the same extraordinary
messengers from space that have already appeared in so many parts of the
- (Translation (c) 2009, S.Corrales, IHU. Special thanks
to Raul Núñez, IIEE-Chile)