- The federal hate crimes bill has been narrowly defeated
five times since 1998. Today, it enjoys its highest chance ever of passage,
strongly supported by President-elect Obama and the Democrat-controlled
Congress. It could be reintroduced into Congress this week.
- If the hate bill's powerful supporters succeed, America
will begin to establish a dual-justice system, as Canada did in 1971. Traditional
law will still cover general crime, but a parallel "bias-motivation"
system (and supporting federal bureaucracy) will be erected. Crimes of
"prejudice" will be vehemently prosecuted. Inevitably, such crime
will include "verbal violence" (i.e. criticism) against federally
protected groups, such as Jews and homosexuals. Those who commit "speech
crimes" will face harsh fines and even imprisonment, as now threaten
the politically incorrect in Canada, Australia, and many European countries.
- What can lovers of freedom do to hold back the iron curtain
of hate laws?
- Public opinion must be turned against hate laws now.
If an avalanche of early protest besieges Congress, our elected representatives
will think twice about approving this Orwellian legislation.
- 1. Share our Video
- Our powerful new 10-minute video "Hate Bill Lies:
Exposed!" demolishes three of hate law supporters' most crucial arguments:
that there is urgent need for a federal hate law, that this law will only
punish violent hate crime, and that this law contains no language threatening
freedom of speech.
- Brief and compelling, this video can reach millions with
its simple irrefutable arguments. Now posted on YouTube, it can also be
quickly viewed and linked at <http://www.truthtellers.org>www.truthtellers.org.
- Share this film! Email it; encourage others to watch
it online; post it on your Facebook; MySpace, or website; and show it in
your church, Sunday school class or political action group.
- 2. Share our Flier
- A second powerful tool is my updated brochure at <http://www.truthtellers.org>www.truthtellers.org,
"Will Anti-Hate Laws Make You a Law-breaker?" It contains powerful
arguments as well as documented cases of Christians and others persecuted
under hate laws. This flier can be printed and mass distributed in churches
or emailed widely.
- 3. Demand Hearings
- We need to generate early controversy. Since the hate
bill passed both Houses last Congress, Democratic leaders of the House
and Senate Judiciary Committees do not have to hold hearings. Unless there
is massive protest, they will speed it forward to a vote on the floor of
House and Senate. That means disaster for freedom. Next stop: signing into
law by Obama.
- Your protest calls right now will encourage Republican
opposition and make the hate bill controversial. If enough controversy
is generated, Republicans might pressure Democratic leaders of the Judiciaries
to hold hearings. We gained this foothold in the last Congress; the hate
bill was delayed and ultimately defeated!
- Call toll-free: 1-877-851-6437 or toll 1-202-225-3121.
(You don't need to know the names of your members of Congress. Give the
operator your zip code and you will be routed to their offices.)
- Tell your representative: "Please don't vote for
the federal hate crimes bill. Please hold hearings on this dangerous legislation."
- 4. Call other members of Congress
- Don't be content just to call your members of Congress.
Call others, particularly Senators. The complete list is posted at <http://www.truthtellers.org>www.truthtellers.org.
- The hate bill will almost certainly pass the Democrat-dominated
House. But not the Senate! Sixty votes are necessary for passage in the
Senate; defection of even a few Senators could save freedom. Last session,
four Democrats did abandon hate bill support. Unfortunately, it was not
enough. The hate bill passed by one vote.
- Massive calling to the Senate could cause more Democrats
to defect, casting their vote for freedom against hate law bondage.
- If you are reluctant to call, <http://www.truthtellers.org>www.truthtellers.org
also has a brief but powerful, ready-made letter you may mail, fax, or
email members of Congress.
- However you protest, now is the time to defend freedom
of speech. Over the past decade, God and the American people defeated the
hate bill five times against overwhelming odds.
- With God's help and your dedicated effort, we can do