- The most important starting point of any detoxification
program is to stop exposure to the toxin or toxins. This means avoiding
even small amounts, since once sensitized to the toxin even minute amounts
can produce full-blown toxicity. This is especially so with accumulative
toxins, such as aspartame. It has been shown conclusively that the metabolic
products of methanol breakdown, formaldehyde in particular, accumulates
on the DNA and cellular proteins.
- Once you have cleansed your diet of the toxin, removal
of the toxin and its metabolic products from your system will begin. Central
to this process is the body's detoxification system, which exist in all
cells of the body, with the bulk of detoxification taking place in the
liver. The detoxification system is divided into two components called
phase I and phase II, which work in tandem. Toxins pass through phase I
and then pass to phase II where they are further detoxified and made water-soluble
for eventual disposal. It is now known that you can significantly enhance
the body's ability to detoxify these substances through the judicious use
of specific supplements. Of the two systems phase II is most important
and most often impaired.
- The following is a list of nutrients that enhance detoxification:
- * Indole-3 carbinol-100 mg twice a day. This natural
substance enhances phase II. It is extracted from cruciferous vegetables
such as broccoli, Brussel's sprouts and cauliflower. It can be purchased
as an extract.
- * Taurine 500 mg a day- This is a sulfur-containing amino
acid that is used by the liver for sulfonation reactions. It is to be taken
- * Milk Thistle (silymarin) 175 mg. Take two twice a day.
This extract has been shown to substantially enhance liver detoxification
and is also a very powerful antioxidant for all cells.
- * Curcumin- 500 mg three times a day with olive oil.
This is an extract taken from turmeric. It is an extremely powerful antioxidant,
enhances both phases I and II detoxification, is a radioprotectant, enhances
bile flow, inhibits cancer growth, and is a very powerful anti-inflammatory.
Also enhances DNA repair enzymes.
- * Panthethine 250 mg Take one capsule 3X a day- This
vitamin is the enzyme form of pantothenic acid. It plays a vital role in
enhancing the aldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme. (For formaldehyde detoxification)
- * Thiamine- 100 mg. Take three a day. (Vitamin B1) This
vitamin plays a major role in protecting nerves as well as the brain. It
is commonly depleted with pesticide exposure.
- * Pyrodoxyl-5 phosphate 50 mg- Take one a day. This is
the functional form of vitamin B6. People exposed to chemical toxins frequently
have low levels of this vitamin. When vitamin B6 is deficient, taurine
is also low. It plays a major role in protecting against glutamate and
- In addition to detoxification, other nutrients play a
more direct role in protecting cells and in promoting their recovery from
toxicity. These include:
- * Magnesium- 750 to 1000 mg a day. (Magnesium citrate/malate)
Magnesium plays a major role in cell protection, especially against excitotoxicty.
In addition it protects against strokes and heart attacks.
- * Selenium- 200 ug a day. This mineral also plays a role
in protecting cells from toxins, especially mercury. It plays a major role
in protecting against free radicals.
- * N-acetyl L-cysteine (NAC)- 750 mg a day. This is a
substance that in cells is converted to glutathione. Glutathione is your
cell's major protection against free radicals produced by toxins such as
aspartame.. In addition, NAC removes mercury. NAC also enhances detoxification.
- * Multi-"B" vitamins- This should be a multivitamins
that contains 25 to 50 mgs of each of the B vitamins. The multivitamin
should not contain iron. Take one a day.
- * Vitamin E (as mixed tocopherols) 400 IU twice a day.
A powerful antioxidant, prevents heart attacks an stokes and the gamma-tocopherol
is a powerful anti-inflammatory.
- * Vitamin C (as magnesium ascorbate) 2000 mg twice to
three times a day. Plays a major role in cell protection against oxygen
stress, protects the nervous system and enhances tissue repair.
- * CoQ10 100 mg twice a day. This is a major energy molecule
and protects the brain against excitotoxicity.
- * DHA 200 mg a day. This is a component of omega-3-fatty
acids. It plays a vital role in membrane repair and repair of synapses.
- In addition to avoiding aspartame you must avoid other
toxins as well. This includes MSG, pesticides, herbicides, bug sprays,
fluoride, mercury, cadmium, aluminum and the many other toxins found commonly
in the environment. Many of these toxins act synergistically, that is,
when combined they have toxic effects that exceed their additive effects.
- In addition, you need regular, moderate exercise (never
aerobic), avoid soy products, cheese, and vegetable oils. Do not smoke
or use drugs. All of these things increase free radical damage and prevent
tissue repair. You should eat a diet high in vegetables and with some fruits,
no sugar (or honey), moderate complex carbohydrates and pure water free
of contaminants, including fluoride. Do not use fluoride toothpaste, mouthwashes
or receive fluoride treatments. If you follow these principles you will
notice quick recovery from your toxic encounter. More serious toxic encounters
may take several months for recovery.
- Please refer to my web site at http://www.russellblaylockmd.com
for more information on my books. Russell Blaylock, M.D. (Health &
Nutrition Secrets To Save Your Life, Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills,
etc.) CD: The Truth About Aspartame, DVD, Nutrition and Behavior
- Betty Martini, D.Hum, Founder
- Mission Possible International
- 9270 River Club Parkway
- Duluth, Georgia 30097
- 770 242-2599
- Aspartame sites:
- Aspartame Information List, <http://www.mpwhi.com>www.mpwhi.com
- Web Site: <http://www.russellblaylockmd.com>http://www.russellblaylockmd.com