- Hello Jeff - More and more we hear of cases in Indonesia
where the bird flu victims did not keep poultry, or had poultry flocks
in their neighborhoods. The numbers are rapidly climbing in Indonesia
and the cases are not due to poultry exposure. Also the virus is very
very virulent, killing within two days.
- Tangerang youth latest bird flu virus fatality
- By Multa Fidrus
- The Jakarta Post
- Tangerang regency in Banten province has recorded five
deaths from bird flu after the latest victim, a 12-year-old boy, died from
the virus on Oct. 13.
- The regency health agency's head of communicable disease
prevention, Yuliah Iskandar, told The Jakarta Post on Tuesday the boy,
a resident of Ceger village in Sepatan district, had suffered high fever
from Sept. 30 but was only admitted to Tangerang General Hospital on Oct.
- The boy, identified only as Ir, was then transferred
to Persahabatan Hospital on Oct. 9 under suspicions he had contracted bird
flu. Ir had shown symptoms of fever, leucopenia (a decrease
in the number of white blood cells), thrombositopenia (a decrease in the
number of platelets in the blood) and pneumonia (an infection of the lung
that causes respiration problems).
- The Health Ministry's research and development center
confirmed a day later the boy had been infected by the H5N1 virus. "He
was brought here last Tuesday and placed directly in the special care unit
for bird flu patients. He died on Saturday," said an on-duty nurse
at the hospital.
- Yuliah said the agency had taken blood samples from the
victim's family members and his neighbors to be tested at a Health Ministry
laboratory, with the results to be announced within three days.
- Yuliah said the victim and his family had not had direct
contact with live poultry and birds near the house in the village, but
there was a poultry-breeding business some 500 meters away from the victim's
- "We have assigned a team to investigate the source
of the H5N1 virus in the neighborhood but there are no indications bird
flu has spread in the neighborhood," she said.
- Following the deaths of Iwan Siswara, an official at
the Supreme Audit Agency (BPK), and his two young daughters from bird flu
early in July 2005, the central government declared Tangerang a bird flu
- In August, a Tangerang maid died from bird flu two days
after being treated for a high fever and acute pneumonia at Tangerang's
Sari Asih Hospital.
- Her employers, Wahyu Proyato and Winda Amalia, residents
of Perumnas II complex in Tangerang regency, said they had no idea how
their maid contracted the virus because there were no chickens at their
home or in the neighborhood.
- Banten province has recorded 19 human cases of bird flu,
15 of which have been fatal. Banten Governor Ratu Atut Chosiah issued
a bylaw on poultry restrictions on Jan. 19, which included a ban on keeping
backyard fowl. Unfortunately, the ordinance has yet to take
effect due to prolonged protests from the Banten Council.
- Patricia A. Doyle DVM, PhD Bus Admin, Tropical Agricultural Economics
Univ of West Indies Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message board at:
http://www.emergingdisease.org/phpbb/index.php Also my new website:
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health